Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 490

2 members and 488 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Foster cat - Mittens

I got a lot of positive feedback from my first foster thread in this forum. Thank you for your support! For a foster parent, it means a lot, especially when the foster isn't feeling too good.

In this case, I saw a post on my local shelter FB account requesting for a rescue for Mittens, a 4-year old tuxedo female cat. I got a copy of her medical records, and here is her history:

Broward County Animal Services - ID A1836045

7/30/16 - Admitted into the shelter. She was a kitten, about 3 lbs.

8/3/16-8/9/16: Diagnosed with URI. She received treatment.

9/6/16 - Appeared to have recovered, possibly adopted on this day.

5/30/20 - Four years had gone by, and she was found as a stray. She was showing symptoms of a URI upon intake.

This URI continued from 5/30 to present day.

She feels chubby, lol. I can't feel her ribs. I have a 5 year old cat about her size, who is no skinny Minnie, but Mittens gained some weight, probably munching on kibble out of boredom and stress at the shelter.

**If you look at one of her ear, the tip was intentionally cut by the vet. This means she was found outside, presume she was a community cat, and after checking she was spayed already, they clip her ear and released her back where she was trapped. However, I am guessing the shelter staff changed their mind and decided to give her a chance to get a good home, or she was released and caught a 2nd time, or a good Samaritan brought her in, or the owner lost her or don't want her and surrendered stating its a stray to save face.**

Numerous different treatments were used, including nebulizing a few times a week, antibiotics, checking for nasal polyps. The vet believe she has chronic rhinitis.

This past weekend, she was removed from being adoptable to requiring rescue. When posts like this pop up in SOS FB groups, it is usually a red flag: she needs rescue, to be adopted with med release, or to be euthanized because her quality of life and health is not improving.

I picked her up about an hour ago. This is her after I opened the carrier. She is napping in front of me as I type this.

I have experience caring and treating cats and kittens with URI. Mittens is NOT the worst case I have seen. She has a stuffy nose, sneezed a few times, but otherwise she is curious, very, very affectionate, very loving. She kept purring and rub against me for petting.

She has a vet checkup next week.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 08-04-2020 at 05:40 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-13-2020),dakski (08-04-2020),Mr. Misha (08-04-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Foster cat - Mittens

Update: nothing new to report. The vet wanted her to stay on Azithromycin for at least 3 more weeks. Then she will be examined if a change of meds is necessary. These antibiotics do nothing for kitty colds - they are commonly caused by the feline herpes virus and calicivirus. But it kills any bacteria that comes in to create secondary infections. As long as it is not getting worse, or she need help with eating, there is hope. Imagine having bad allergies non-stop for almost 3 months. That is just torture! I can barely stand hay fever without some antihistamine.

Anyways, here she is, trying to figure out what that toy is. I think I need to go buy a different toy for her.

She is a lap cat. She has this cute habit of stretching one of her hind legs straight out when she lays on your lap.

I'll provide another update in about 3 weeks after the vet exams her again. Hopefully the next post will show a picture of a recovered healthy cat.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-13-2020),dakski (08-11-2020)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    aww what a pretty girl, sounds like a real sweetheart too
    For the Horde!