Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,670

1 members and 2,669 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: My New Garter Group

Congrats Cloud, on the new garter group! They look amazing! Consider some ZooMed reptile vitamin powder to dust whatever you are feeding to the little ones. It can also be beneficial for the adults like twice a month or so.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 08-13-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-14-2021),CloudtheBoa (08-13-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Congrats Cloud, on the new garter group they look amazing! Consider some ZooMed reptile vitamin powder to dust whatever you are feeding to the little ones. It can also be beneficial for the adults like twice a month or so.
    Thanks! I’m really excited about them. The new trio will be cool, too, and help me keep the genes varied. Poss het T+ Plains, which I can’t find much pricing info on, so hopefully I can learn more about the market on them by the time I can breed them.

Considering the adults are eating ASF and fish, do you think the powder is necessary for them? I do plan on offering the vitamins since it doesn’t seem I’m going to have the litters switched over any time soon. :/ At least the boa babies will be large enough to take whole rodents if they insist on live. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Because we are using frozen thawed parts, it’s the freezing part that diminishes and or eliminates some of the available vitamins. So occasionally offering powdered vitamins sprinkled lightly over the food items can help. It certainly doesn’t need to be done regularly with each feeding. I would say weekly for the babies and bi monthly for adults unless you are supplementing with live feedings.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Because we are using frozen thawed parts, it’s the freezing part that diminishes and or eliminates some of the available vitamins. So occasionally offering powdered vitamins sprinkled lightly over the food items can help. It certainly doesn’t need to be done regularly with each feeding. I would say weekly for the babies and bi monthly for adults unless you are supplementing with live feedings.
    I breed my own feeders, and often give them fresh-killed. I try to avoid live except in the case of unestablished babies that need that jump in their appetite. But I’ll keep that in mind! I never give my other snakes vitamins so it never crossed my mind for garters if they’re eating vertebrates.

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

Thanks

My New Garter Group

Here are the new ones! Looks like one of them are in shed. They all ate the mix of worm and ASF pieces, but I think I underestimated how much they all could eat. Lol Hopefully my ASF will have more pinks soon, they may be big enough to eat day olds whole. If not, it won’t be long.

Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 08-21-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-21-2020),Caitlin (08-21-2020),jmcrook (08-21-2020)

Thanks

I’m starting to see why Summer is so much larger. Lmao She just doesn’t stop when it comes to food (minus while gravid and a few weeks after birth). She ate two weaned ASF 3 days before I went to feed Freya and Leeloo - who refused to eat when Summer did. Summer and Lee were hidden away so I figured it was safe to give Freya a worm. I was wrong. Summer came out of one of the hides, mouth gaping and stole Freya’a worm, inhaled it, and began gaping for more. I picked the rascal up and put her in a bucket so the other two could have some peace. Freya and Lee started refusing food as the weather was getting colder, while Summer was still devouring food. We rearranged the house to fit all the animals in one room, so they are now warm again and this was the first time I got them to eat after a few attempts. I don’t plan on brumation until the temps are reliably cold, and until then I want them eating well.

I managed to get Freya and Lee to take 3 worms each, and then let Summer finish off the worms. Lol She ate 4.5 of them. What a pig!

The poss het T+ trio is still doing well, and I let them stuff themselves until I think they have a good bulge once a week or so. I think the smaller female is starting to catch up with the biggest now, and even the male isn’t as easily spotted by size.

At some point I’ll get an update of them, just don’t know how I’ll go about a photo shoot yet.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    I have officially sold all but the 2.2 holdback groups from Lee and Summer's litters, as well as sold Lee and Freya. That leaves me with Summer, the in house babies, and the poss het T+/caramel trio. Summer is starting to feel the effects of the winter, and is only really wanting earthworms atm, and I plan to offer some silversides next since she's been refusing the mice and rat pinks.

I ended up naming Lee's daughter Schnell, she's the big and pale one. She's typically a confidant feeder, and doesn't skip as many meals as the other female.

The female I kept from Summer I named Tsunade. She's a shy feeder, typically needs to be put in a separate feeding container overnight to eat. She's missed feedings in the past because I didn't have anywhere to keep her for hours at a time, but hasn't missed a meal since I started this.

Both of the males I kept are from Summer's litter, I didn't feel like any of the males from Lee matched what I was aiming for in my garters.

The bigger pale male I named Ulquiorra. He's got interesting slate eyes. He's not as pale as his brother that I wanted to keep back, but he was the brightest and most contrasted from litter next to that one. I also like how wide his back stripe is.

The other male from Summer I named Aizen. He's another shy eater, and also needs to be separated and left alone overnight to eat.

This group of babies are a lot pickier/finicky than the poss het T+ trio, so they're on the smaller side, but hopefully with the current set up they'll skip fewer meals. They still don't eat as much food at once as the others, but as long as they're eating their appetites may increase later on. I'll also be reintroducing worms and silverside chunks now that I'm not feeding them in deli cups and have them on actual substrate. Worms were just too messy to feed in the deli cup, and then they made more of a mess of their paper towels than on pinks.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    As far as the het T+ trio, the male has lagged way behind the other two due to a hard couple months where he was refusing any kind of food. Even though I was force feeding him the same amount of food he's eating now, he also just wasn't maintaining weight or growing. Now that he's eating on his own, for some reason that alone is allowing him to gain more weight back and begin to grow. He just decided one day to go from force feeding to assist feeding, and then after a couple more feedings, started eating on his own. Not really sure what it was about. I do sometimes have to feed him separately from the rest of trio and leave him overnight, but he will eat in the cage most of the time.

The biggest girl still has a bit of a mean streak, and is rather flighty. She's devouring like 4 day old mouse pinks a sitting now, so she may be able to move onto day old rat pinks soon.

The smaller girl goes through periods where she might eat 1-3 pinks at a time, but has been eating 3-4 the past couple feedings. She also skips meals here or there, but nothing like the 2.2 from the WC adults.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    It has been a long time since I've had any snake (they weren't garters, btw) that would initially only feed in a small separate container & left overnight. But happily, they usually get a lot better after only a few meals taken that way, & started eating as they should- I hope yours all transition quickly. It's as if they suddenly realize "hey, food IS good!" Sounds like you have a lot of different personalities to contend with, but they're awfully cute, I gotta say.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (09-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It has been a long time since I've had any snake (they weren't garters, btw) that would initially only feed in a small separate container & left overnight. But happily, they usually get a lot better after only a few meals taken that way, & started eating as they should- I hope yours all transition quickly. It's as if they suddenly realize "hey, food IS good!" Sounds like you have a lot of different personalities to contend with, but they're awfully cute, I gotta say.
    These guys are over a year old now, and have always been iffy eaters (except for the poss het T+ male who only recently started being picky). My old albino checkered took 4 years before he felt comfortable enough to take food off the tongs. Before that, I had to dig him out of the bedding, set the prey down, and literally leave the room for him to eat. He would let the pink rot if I didn’t dig him out. Then all of a sudden one day he decided me and the tongs weren’t scary anymore. Lol So at this point I just figure garters are gonna be that way and let them do their thing.

Yes, they are! Despite being finicky eaters, Summer and my CB babies are a lot more amenable to handling than the CBB poss het T+. The trio typically runs in terror from me and flings musk everywhere (plus the biting from Abzan), the WC adults never musked me once and the babies have stopped musking for quite awhile now.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-15-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast