Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,822

2 members and 2,820 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thank you for keeping us updated on your journey with Miso. I am so happy to hear that she is doing well and recovering steadily. It's wonderful that she has such a caring owner and that you have access to a great vet. Hope she continues to improve and goes on to live a long and healthy life!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Re: Escape and near-tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You'd never know that anything had "happened" to her. Maybe it's her magic blankie?
    lol! It may well be. I was a little surprised when I found out how much several of my snakes enjoy being able to sit on or in anything that's made of cloth with a velvety, super-soft texture. Ever since realizing it I've made that option available both in and out of their enclosures. Who knew that the 'magic snake blankie' would be such a hit?! Pictured is Sugar in his 'blankie'. He'll sit contentedly in that thing for hours.

1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-15-2020),Luvyna (11-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    lol! It may well be. I was a little surprised when I found out how much several of my snakes enjoy being able to sit on or in anything that's made of cloth with a velvety, super-soft texture. Ever since realizing it I've made that option available both in and out of their enclosures. Who knew that the 'magic snake blankie' would be such a hit?! Pictured is Sugar in his 'blankie'. He'll sit contentedly in that thing for hours.

It goes to show just how important the sense of touch is to snakes: just because they have scales doesn't mean they don't love soft things to snuggle with.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-15-2020)

Thanks
    I wanted to share an update on Miso. Her improvement has been gradual and steady, though sometimes my heart ached when I saw her being nervous or cautious in situations where previously she would have been completely calm and fearless.

But today it was like someone flipped a switch. She was in BIG EXPLORE mode all afternoon. Sitting in her enclosure was not an option, so she climbed right out onto my hands. She wanted to climb everything, smell everything, check everything out. She used all of her muscles, and coiled and gripped firmly, all the way down to the tip of her tail. Almost four months later, this is the first day I really feel like Miso is entirely back to herself, and I am really happy and grateful - because I love this little snake. Here's hoping she has many good years of exploring ahead.

Last edited by Caitlin; 11-30-2020 at 12:37 PM.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-30-2020),BeansTheDerp (11-30-2020),Bogertophis (12-02-2020),CloudtheBoa (12-02-2020),dakski (11-30-2020),GoingPostal (11-30-2020),jmcrook (11-30-2020),Luvyna (11-30-2020),Spicey (11-30-2020),WrongPython (11-30-2020)

Thanks

I'm so sorry that happened! but I'm glad Misco is ok, she looks and sounds adorable and I'm sure she will be living for a long time in your amazing and caring care!
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (11-30-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

I am so glad she sounds like she’s back to where she was before! Fingers crossed she maintains her confidence now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2020),Caitlin (12-03-2020)

Thanks

Final report on Miso - thank goodness for happy endings!

I think this will be my final report-back in this thread, and it's wonderful to have a happy ending to share.

Miso's favorite enrichment activity was climbing around on a 'jungle gym' I made for my smaller snakes - it's a plastic clothes drying rack entwined with plastic vines along with some reptile hammocks and hanging coconut hides. She could spend hours on it. After her accident, I didn't let her go on it - she didn't have full use of her muscles, her strength and coordination weren't there, and I was worried that a fall could have terrible consequences after all of the injuries to her back.

But Antaresia are active and curious, and once it was obvious she was going to have a pretty strong recovery, I wanted to be sure she had the best possible quality of life. So I leaned on my ancient experience with wildlife rehab and devised a little physical therapy program for her involving swimming and a gradual increase in climbing activity. I wasn't sure she'd ever get back to where she was, but I wanted to be sure she could fully enjoy whatever enrichment could safely be offered.

She's a determined little soul, and over the last few months has gotten back to her normal routine of 'asking' to be out of her enclosure almost every night, so we've had lots opportunities for her physical therapy program. And tonight for the first time in seven months, she went on to her beloved jungle gym and climbed all over that thing! In previous months, I could always detect the worst of the old injury sites and I could see where she had weakness. Tonight all of that was gone. I can't tell, via appearance or activity. that anything ever happened to her at all - I think I can finally allow myself to say that she's achieved a full recovery.

She's tuckered out now. The photo below is of Miso relaxing in one of the coconut hides on the jungle gym after her big climb. I look forward to seeing her enjoy these activities many more times in future! Thanks again for your kindness and support throughout - not many people in this world could understand how much I care about a little brown snake, so I really appreciate you all.

[IMG][/IMG]

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2021),WrongPython (01-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Oh, that picture says it all- she's so adorable! Looks so much like my spotted python too (who's also a climber). Such a wonderful update- you've done a great job facilitating her recovery.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234