Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,022

1 members and 3,021 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Escape and near-tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    ...Like so many of us, I have always felt very confident when using the Sterilite gasket boxes with multiple clips. I believed they were escape-proof. Well...the photo below shows what I found a few hours after moving Ozzy, my male Children's Python, into a Sterilite gasket tub with SIX clips. I still have no freaking idea how he managed this, and I'm shocked because for years, I've felt so safe using Sterilite tubs. I am still figuring this one out, but thought I'd share...
    I honestly have a hunch that this happens way more than you realize, but many just don't want to admit it or share the experience, especially when it doesn't end well.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I honestly have a hunch that this happens way more than you realize, but many just don't want to admit it or share the experience, especially when it doesn't end well.
    I hope that's not the case, but it may very well be true. I almost put little Ozzy back into the Sterilite tub just to watch him and see how he managed his escape, as I've kept so many snakes in those tubs with no problems at all, so I'm still shocked that he got out. But between the gasket and the clips, the tub lid is so tightly secured that I was afraid he'd hurt himself in a second attempt. It just wasn't worth the risk.

I am pretty well able to weather the ups and downs of online forums, but I admit it has been hard for me to post about what happened to Miso. It was even hard to post about Ozzie's escape - I just imagined people thinking that I'm a bad keeper/shouldn't have snakes, etc. I know that's not entirely rational, but just as I've spent a lot of years keeping, I've been a lot of years online and I know how it can get!

But I'm still glad I posted both of these incidents if hearing about either one prevents even a single escape. And I sincerely hope I manage another decade of keeping that's escape-free!!
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-04-2020),CloudtheBoa (08-04-2020)

Thanks
    I'm very glad you didn't put him back in, just to "see?" as snakes usually remember & repeat their performance, maybe not while you're watching though.

I think this would have happened more (ie. been reported more often) if this wasn't a BP forum, as they're the most often kept snakes here & they just don't escape as
    easily as other snakes do. You're not a bad keeper at all, just an honest one that's trying to prevent similar disasters for the pets of others.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-05-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

I definitely understand your worry that people would be rude. You seem to be doing your best not to have this happen, though, and seem quite responsible to me. You definitely gotta be careful in cage selection sometimes, you can’t just automatically know every possible scenario. The only two escapes I’ve had were due to me forgetting to secure cages. One was my bp who was found underneath the TV (big old style box TV), and my garter who was under a guitar case by the front door. Haven’t had an escape since and those were a good 5+ years ago. Just use the knowledge you gain to further keep your animals safe in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-10-2020),GoingPostal (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Update on Miso: This week she passed urates for the first time since the accident; she LAUNCHED herself at her meal; the motion and strength in the lower quarter of her body is almost normal; and she has gained 21 grams over the lowest weight she reached post-accident. She is nearly back to her pre-accident weight.

Because she's made so much progress in just six weeks, I am letting myself feel hopeful - though I admit that every time I lift her hide to check on her or remove her for her every-other-day soak in warm water, I feel sick and shaky because I'm afraid she'll be dead.

She still hasn't had a bowel movement, but I am not fretting yet; it hasn't been that long since she started eating again - her first meal post-accident was on July 23, and it was a smaller food item than normal, as were the two weekly meals since then. She doesn't have any bulge at all near her vent; I sort of feel like maybe she's digesting every molecule of food for healing and to get weight back on. The fact that she passed urates and that she has nearly normal motion in the lower part of her body also makes me think that she's OK. I hope.

Her behaviors are also getting back to normal - she switches back and forth between her hides the way she did before, hangs out during the day with her head resting on the edge of her water bowl and just watching the world go by, and she pops her head out to see what's going on when I am feeding the other snakes.

She has another vet appointment in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again to all who sent good thoughts to this little python - I love her dearly and she is really working hard to get better.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 08-09-2020 at 08:34 PM.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-10-2020),dakski (08-09-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-09-2020),GoingPostal (08-10-2020),Igotsmallballs (08-09-2020),jmcrook (08-09-2020),Luvyna (08-15-2020),Sonny1318 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

She may be working hard to get better, but it also sounds like you are doing right by her. Kudos to you.

Hoping the vet visit goes well and she continues to improve.

Keep us posted.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-10-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    I never thought I would be so excited to see snake poop, but Miso had a normal bowel movement this morning and wants to eat right. freaking. now!

I think we may have managed to get through this OK, which is an absolute miracle. Just over six weeks ago she could barely move, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, was losing weight like crazy, and physically just looked wrong. Today she looks and acts like her normal self, and is nearly up to normal weight. The movement in the lower quarter of her body is still a little slow and slightly limited, but it's 1000% better than when she just sort of dragged herself along. She can coil and grip all the way down to her tail tip now.

I'm going to give this little one a nice meal, and spend a moment being very, very grateful for her tenacity, for my wonderful reptile veterinarian, and for the people in my life, including you guys, who understood how I could care so much about a little snake and who cared about her too.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-10-2020),Alien (08-10-2020),bcr229 (08-10-2020),Bogertophis (08-10-2020),cincy (08-10-2020),CloudtheBoa (08-10-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-10-2020),dakski (08-10-2020),Luvyna (08-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I’m very happy to hear that your snake is getting better, and hopefully makes a full recovery. I’ve made my share of mistakes. But can’t imagine what an awful experience it must of been. I had an escape or two over the years. One was a Brazilian Rainbow, that I was excited to move into its permanent home. Thankfully he was slithering up the closet door and found a place he felt comfortable. But very easy to spot. A few years back I had a ball python that squeezed through an improperly secured lid, thankfully my youngest daughter caught him in the act. Best of luck, hopefully the snake gods are on your side, lol. Peace
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 08-10-2020 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-10-2020),CloudtheBoa (08-10-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I never thought I would be so excited to see snake poop, but Miso had a normal bowel movement this morning and wants to eat right. freaking. now!

I think we may have managed to get through this OK, which is an absolute miracle. Just over six weeks ago she could barely move, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, was losing weight like crazy, and physically just looked wrong. Today she looks and acts like her normal self, and is nearly up to normal weight. The movement in the lower quarter of her body is still a little slow and slightly limited, but it's 1000% better than when she just sort of dragged herself along. She can coil and grip all the way down to her tail tip now.

I'm going to give this little one a nice meal, and spend a moment being very, very grateful for her tenacity, for my wonderful reptile veterinarian, and for the people in my life, including you guys, who understood how I could care so much about a little snake and who cared about her too.
    Wow, I'm just so happy to hear this! Sure sounds like you & your vet chose the right course with rest & easy meals while she has been healing.
    I know how painful this has been for you to go thru as well...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-10-2020),CloudtheBoa (08-10-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Awesome, AWESOME news!!!!!

Miso definitely seems to be a trooper, and lucky to be in caring hands. Great job!!!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2020),Caitlin (08-10-2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast