Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

0 members and 2,982 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    There's also a bit of a conundrum that goes along with the morph breeding question. I believe that the popularity of ball python morphs has had some very positive effects. It's brought a lot of people into the hobby who might not have even considered a snake as a pet otherwise - along with a ripple effect of increased appreciation for the hobby and for reptiles in general. I just can't see that as a bad thing.

And I don't in any way intend to be critical of ethical breeders. When I got back into keeping after a long break (ball pythons weren't even a thing in my first couple of decades of keeping), I chose a BEL because I thought they were beautiful, and I haven't regretted that choice. That snake has also been an outstanding ambassador animal - there's something about a gentle, pure white snake that has helped a lot of formerly snake-phobic people overcome their initial fears.

But it's tricky. I have actually lost a couple of friends in the hobby because they were so offended that I disagree with propagating the Spider (and associated) morphs. And I'm pretty convinced that too many people are breeding ball pythons - I just don't know what the solution is.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-02-2020)

Thanks

Re: Bound to be a controversial post

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I cannot say these designer snakes aren't "eye candy" but the snakes themselves would be better off if most people only bought photos/posters of them.
    Exactly. I understand that they're beautiful and I love that they've brought people into loving snakes but just looking at the morph forums here you see people who only see snakes as possible breeders to get what they want. That's not okay to me at all. Snakes are living creatures too and ball pythons in particular are amazing sweet pets. The more people will ONLY settle for some unique looking morph then what happens to the vast majority of normals that are bred when searching for those elusive genes?
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-02-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Agreed. I think breeding should be highly discouraged by our community and is completely out of control.

Instead, I constantly see encouragement to hoard and breed these snakes. Posts about buying 10 BPs in a month for someone who barely has started in this hobby. Months later come the "collection" sales. Rinse, repeat.

I'm not against hobby breeding but don't just breed and dump these creatures!

If you really want to breed then buy a juvenile female and raise her for at least 3 years. If you still have the passion to breed, then go for it.
    We have 10 snakes. We lined them up for future breeding if that’s what we wanted to do in the future. The reason we have those numbers is because we got tired of not being able to handle a snake every night. Feeding, newness etc. Are handling knowledge has grown tremendously in a short period of time. Our snakes are very socialized and would definitely blow some people’s minds.

They are also neonates which we enjoy.

I agree. There’s no reason to buy a bunch of breeder snakes right off the bat! No money in it til later on. We did our home work and spent to much keeping these littles ones happy and healthy! We will probably breed later on, but we are pet owners first and love them all.

Thanks
    This video is such a mess at the basic level that I'm having a hard time engaging with the content.

It's weird that the video has no proof of inbreeding or shows detrimental effects of inbreeding (using pictures of spiders and other morphs with neurological issues is not proof of inbreeding). The video kept saying inbreeding is bad and that it is happening with every recessive gene BP and is supposedly a big problem.

The part about breeding being bad because it does not preserve the dominating morphs is presented poorly. The video claims that any morph that is not thriving in the wild is automatically bad because it did not go through the Darwin gauntlet. He also said any breeding at all is bad because there isn't the planet worth of other snakes to proliferate with (causing a weaker gene pool). The video also said the proliferation of wild caught animals for gene strength is the only way to go, which would include the spider that he is so against. So many contradictions.

There's a completely different guy talking at the end of the video? There was no lead in to him. Is he reacting to the video? He's talking about points aren't in the slideshow bit and strays from the topic of the video.

The video cited a source by inserting a slide show of a review page then showed the landing page of a website. Instead of showing their content to support any points and the creator very briefly talked about them, really only saying the sources existed.

This video is poorly put together. There are a lot of talking points but the delivery is unpolished and the creator really needs a template to follow. It does not stay on topic, it makes broad sweeping claims, and sites very little sources. This video is a soap box at worst and a half hearted school project at best, not an educational one like it claims.

Last edited by Trinityblood; 08-03-2020 at 11:31 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-03-2020),Lord Sorril (08-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    My concern is what do people do with the excess babies who are not exciting or valuable, or have birth defects? Do people kill them because they won't sell, or sell them cheap on Craigslist to people who don't know what they are doing? That part is never really talked about.

I also see racks and racks of snakes in people's garages-- and I know they are "just" snakes and don't require a great deal of stimulation, but surely they can't get the best quality of life in a small plastic bin with just the basic hide and water dish, vs. a nice terrarium with branches to climb on, fake plants to hide under, and a window to look out.

And I don't get why people cut the snake eggs open. I am not a breeder so maybe there's a reason for it in an extreme circumstance, but it seems like the egg protects the snake from bacteria and controls humidity, and that a healthy baby snake will come out when it's good and ready, so just let nature do its thing and stop meddling.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-03-2020),hihit (05-14-2021)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    My concern is what do people do with the excess babies who are not exciting or valuable, or have birth defects? Do people kill them because they won't sell, or sell them cheap on Craigslist to people who don't know what they are doing? That part is never really talked about.

I also see racks and racks of snakes in people's garages-- and I know they are "just" snakes and don't require a great deal of stimulation, but surely they can't get the best quality of life in a small plastic bin with just the basic hide and water dish, vs. a nice terrarium with branches to climb on, fake plants to hide under, and a window to look out.

And I don't get why people cut the snake eggs open. I am not a breeder so maybe there's a reason for it in an extreme circumstance, but it seems like the egg protects the snake from bacteria and controls humidity, and that a healthy baby snake will come out when it's good and ready, so just let nature do its thing and stop meddling.
    You have the material for three new threads right here.
    *.* TNTC

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-04-2020),Bogertophis (08-03-2020),FollowTheSun (08-03-2020)

Thanks

Unfortunately I can answer some of your questions. Many breeders (not all, mind you) do in fact kill or "discard" of snakes that aren't valuable. They throw them away, sell them to labs or inexperienced owners, etc. It happens far too often. When questioned they always give the reason "No one wants normals. If they wanted a normal they'd go to a pet store." That's one of the reasons I worry about the community that has formed around designer snakes.

And no, the snakes cannot get the best quality of life in a rack. This is the main reason that even my rehab snakes have individual enclosures. While some snakes do well in tubs or other fully enclosed environments they do still need some stimulation in the form of environment and handling. I believe that any owner who has multiple snakes and does not handle them except to move for enclosure cleaning or breeding is not a good snake owner. It sadly seems that many people who breed designer snakes are like this and many of the enthusiasts who buy them or collect them are little better. The snakes are a show piece for them, not a beloved member of the family and that's not okay. Again, this isn't all owners or breeders.

Basically, if you only own designer snakes and are only interested in them, think about why. Evaluate whether you do so because you love them or because you want to show them off. If you would refuse to own a snake because it wasn't interesting enough figure out why. You can draw your own conclusions and fix your behaviour but to me at least I see people who only deal in "pretty" snakes as being people who don't actually love snakes.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-03-2020),FollowTheSun (08-03-2020),hihit (05-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

I've heard of people say they sell their normal BPs as cobra food...it's talked about sometimes but not enough... Not saying cobras don't have to eat too, but I wonder
    how many ppl will buy a BP with full knowledge of what they're supporting? Personally, I know that many snakes are "eye candy" but I still prefer the ones that nature chooses.

I HATE seeing snakes raised & kept in racks...I know they're mostly ignored, & not living a real life. They deserve better than the herp-version of a puppy-mill. And DON'T tell me it's too much work any other way...even when I had 85 snakes I never did that!

Cutting eggs: if they cannot make it out of the egg, there is a reason & you are weakening all future generations of snakes that stem from those you helped out of their eggs, IMO.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-03-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (08-05-2020),hihit (05-14-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12