Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 521

0 members and 521 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Should I be worried?

Havent seen her so much as peek her head out of her hide since Tuesday. Shes in a 55 gallon aquarium but I do have quite a bit of “clutter” in there. Temps are 90 hot side 78 cool side. Humidity is 75%. Also, the tank is in mind of a “high-traffic” area as I dont have many options until we move In a few months.

Thanks
    I would give her a little longer to adjust to the enclosure and traffic. I wouldn’t bother her. Be patient. She probably will eventually ease out looking for food. I only own one boa and it’s a bci. Ate the same day right after the first handling. So I’m assuming yours came in quite stressed. I wouldn’t even begin to worry. Give her more time. If all else fails. You could always convert to a smaller pvc tub enclosure. They are easy to modify, cheap and hold humidity well. She should get comfy before long though. It’s hard to do, but don’t stress it yet. Give her more time. More than likely she will let you know when it’s time to try to feed.
    Last edited by Igotsmallballs; 08-02-2020 at 08:33 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

susieomaha (08-02-2020)

Thanks

Re: Could really use some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Igotsmallballs View Post
    I would give her a little longer to adjust to the enclosure and traffic. I wouldn’t bother her. Be patient. She probably will eventually ease out looking for food. I only own one boa and it’s a bci. Ate the same day right after the first handling. So I’m assuming yours came in quite stressed. I wouldn’t even begin to worry. Give her more time. If all else fails. You could always convert to a smaller pvc tub enclosure. They are easy to modify, cheap and hold humidity well. She should get comfy before long though. It’s hard to do, but don’t stress it yet. Give her more time. More than likely she will let you know when it’s time to try to feed.
    Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Ive been over-stressing everything since she arrived. I went ahead and covered the sides with cardboard (the back already has a background).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by susieomaha View Post
    Havent seen her so much as peek her head out of her hide since Tuesday. Shes in a 55 gallon aquarium but I do have quite a bit of “clutter” in there. Temps are 90 hot side 78 cool side. Humidity is 75%. Also, the tank is in mind of a “high-traffic” area as I dont have many options until we move In a few months.

I don't mean to be a wanker but I'm good at appearing so and I'm going to tell you like it is...

You have stacked the deck against yourself by:
    1. purchasing an import true redtail with who really knows what background
    2. putting that boa in a 55 gallon aquarium (this is really hurting your chances of success)
    3. offering food on consecutive days (getting feeding wrong with a true redtail can kill it)

You can't correct number one so lets move on to fixing what you can. If you want to increase your chances of success this is what you should do:

That boa has probably (and hopefully) lived its entire short life in an opaque shoe box sized tub...and you should put it back in one. Go to the store and buy a food grade Tupperware type thing that is about the size of a shoe box or a little smaller. Poke some holes in it and put some aspen bedding in the tub with a small water dish. If you are heating that fish tank with undercage heat place about half of the new Tupperware over the in floor heat. Leave the boa alone for a week...don't even look at it. After a week place a fresh killed mouse of the appropriate size in the tub and walk away. Check on it a couple of hours later, if it ate, close the lid and change the water the next day and leave it alone for another week. After it eliminates that meal, repeat and leave it alone with only cleanings/water changes for at least 3 feeding cycles.

Once things start to go poorly with a true redtail baby your odds will get worse.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-02-2020),Igotsmallballs (08-02-2020),jmcrook (08-02-2020),susieomaha (08-02-2020)

Thanks

Re: Could really use some advice

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    I don't mean to be a wanker but I'm good at appearing so and I'm going to tell you like it is...

You have stacked the deck against yourself by:
    1. purchasing an import true redtail with who really knows what background
    2. putting that boa in a 55 gallon aquarium (this is really hurting your chances of success)
    3. offering food on consecutive days (getting feeding wrong with a true redtail can kill it)

You can't correct number one so lets move on to fixing what you can. If you want to increase your chances of success this is what you should do:

That boa has probably (and hopefully) lived its entire short life in an opaque shoe box sized tub...and you should put it back in one. Go to the store and buy a food grade Tupperware type thing that is about the size of a shoe box or a little smaller. Poke some holes in it and put some aspen bedding in the tub with a small water dish. If you are heating that fish tank with undercage heat place about half of the new Tupperware over the in floor heat. Leave the boa alone for a week...don't even look at it. After a week place a fresh killed mouse of the appropriate size in the tub and walk away. Check on it a couple of hours later, if it ate, close the lid and change the water the next day and leave it alone for another week. After it eliminates that meal, repeat and leave it alone with only cleanings/water changes for at least 3 feeding cycles.

Once things start to go poorly with a true redtail baby your odds will get worse.

Alright. Just finished getting all that done. We'll see how it goes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12