Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 449

0 members and 449 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Could really use some advice

Hi. I just purchased a Guyana BCC this past weekend. The snake was advertised as captive bred, and ai was told over the phone by an employee that it was captive bred. I found the ad on Morphmarket and saw that it said the origin was “import” so I decided to email the store owner and ask about it. He said the snake was captive bred but it was imported from Guyana. Now this store has really good reviews from everywhere ive seen including morphmarket. So im having a hard time believing they would deceive me. Im looking for advice because as a first time Boa owner im not sure if she will be any harder to take care of then say a captive bred from here in the US. I currently own a Ball python so im not new to snakes in general. Im really not sure what I should do.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Could really use some advice

Do you have the snake yet?

If not, I would pass. Mixed messages and even if imported and captive bred, that's a heck of a ride and trauma for a snake.

Any animal you bring in must be quarantined, but you would have to be incredibly careful with this one and deworming (likely) and a vet visit anyway would probably be in order and cost more than the snake. That can be traumatic too.

If I was buying a BC, or any boa (again - I have 3 - 2 BI's and a BC), I want to know they were captive bred, handled, healthy, and know their lineage.

This sounds like red flags all over.

Ask for a good boa breeder on here, or do more research and go with someone who breeds them, not imports them. Just my opinion.

Also, if you plan on bringing another animal home, and do not know how to properly quarantine, just ask.

Finally, BC's are considered intermediate - advanced snakes due to requirements/husbandry to stay healthy, adult size, and feeding response. Make sure you know what you are getting into even versus a Boa Imperator (BI) which are much more forgiving. BI's tend to not to get regurgitation syndrome or be as picky with humidity, etc. Also, BC's tend to be a little grippier than BI's which can be intimidating for some people when they are full grown. They can still be incredibly docile, but like to grip more than most BI's.

If you do get a boa, of any kind, you will probably want to hook train as well. Any questions on that, just ask.

For what's worth, I have 3 boas (2 BI's and a BC) and adore them. They are great snakes and when properly hook trained, easy to get out, handle like a dream, and eat like pigs. They are my favorite snake species and I keep a ball python, a carpet python, 2 corns, and the 3 boas.

However, I have been keeping snakes the better part of my 40 years and handled big boas before I took the plunge.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-31-2020),susieomaha (07-31-2020)

Thanks

Appreciate the advice. Yes I received the snake Tuesday. She seemed pretty calm and mellow for the couple minutes I held her before putting her in her enclosure for the first time. She roamed around the first night and has been in the cool hide ever since. I did a lot of research beforehand on BCCs and felt pretty comfortable being able to take care of a captive bred one. But Ive heard Wild-caught are a whole different ball-game and so im stressing out now. The seller has been very responsive and has answered my questions but I just dont see how they could know it was captive bred for sure if it was imported from Guyana.

Not sure if it helps but my temps are 90 hot side, 84 cool side and 65% humidity.
    Last edited by susieomaha; 07-30-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts
    I'd bet it was a "farmed" import. So, captive-born (CB) from a wild-caught gravid female, and then imported.

I'd give it some time to settle in and have a fecal check done for parasites, but otherwise treat her as any other neonate BCC.

Also bear in mind that a snake like this is new blood/new genetics so people who breed may pay more for them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-30-2020),SilentHill (07-30-2020),susieomaha (07-31-2020)

Thanks

we have two carpet pythons that were hatched out on a farm overseas that then imports them here.
    kinda like captive bred vs. captive hatch, in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-30-2020),susieomaha (07-31-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'd bet it was a "farmed" import. So, captive-born (CB) from a wild-caught gravid female, and then imported.

I'd give it some time to settle in and have a fecal check done for parasites, but otherwise treat her as any other neonate BCC.

Also bear in mind that a snake like this is new blood/new genetics so people who breed may pay more for them.
    Ok will do. Thank you. That makes sense

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

I thought it must be captive famed as already said above.
    Good start if your first handling session was positive, as they are often stressed when they first arrive
    I've got a 3 Yr old Guyana and I love him always been chilled, but amazing food response like most boas
    Good luck,
    Look forward to seeing some pics
    Plenty of great boa owners on here for advice, so don't be afraid to ask

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

susieomaha (07-31-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    I thought it must be captive famed as already said above.
    Good start if your first handling session was positive, as they are often stressed when they first arrive
    I've got a 3 Yr old Guyana and I love him always been chilled, but amazing food response like most boas
    Good luck,
    Look forward to seeing some pics
    Plenty of great boa owners on here for advice, so don't be afraid to ask

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! Do you recommend leaving her alone until after shes eaten? I offered food today and yesterday and she didnt seem interested. Hasnt left the cool side since tuesday unless shes been doing it in the middle of the night.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Yes. Leave the animal alone for a week after getting it before offering food so it can adjust to its new surroundings. No handling aside from moving it to clean if needed until it has taken three consecutive meals without issue. This is even more important for imported animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (08-02-2020),dakski (07-31-2020),susieomaha (07-31-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Reread your last post. Also don’t attempt to feed more than once a week. Repeatedly offering food to an animal that is uninterested causes stress and can lead to further refusals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-31-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast