Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,715

1 members and 2,714 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

What's up with my female??

I have a huge 3000g+ female ball. She's 5 years old and I've tried to breed her 3 years in a row. I've witnessed locks all 3 years but she's never laid any eggs. I could've sworn I saw ovulations with her as well but clearly I was wrong. She's been off food now since December 2019 (It's the first time she's ever been off food) but hasn't lost any weight. She's looking giant and lumpy and always pushes the substrate aside and lays in a coil on the warm side (I keep it about 90F) of the enclosure. Could it be that she's egg bound? She seems healthy otherwise. I'm lost here... Any one have any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: What's up with my female??

When was her last shed. It sounds like she may be ready to lay. Does she look ridge backed? Have you caught her lying inverted at all or twisted like a pretzel? All of these are good signs of things to come. I hope she goes for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    When was her last shed. It sounds like she may be ready to lay. Does she look ridge backed? Have you caught her lying inverted at all or twisted like a pretzel? All of these are good signs of things to come. I hope she goes for you.
    She last shed in May this year. Yes, she's looking very lumpy and ridge backed. She often lies on her side in a coil. She shows all the signs of laying soon but it's been 3 years and nothing. I've only ever paired one male with her and he's not proven. Could it be the male is dud and triggering her to go into "false pregnancy"? I'll probably try with a new male this fall if she still doesn't lay.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to silverbill For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (07-30-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could've sworn I saw ovulations with her as well but clearly I was wrong.
    When was that?

Did she shed two weeks after that?

Was she on the cold side before that and move back on the warm side when you think she ovulated?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    When was that?

Did she shed two weeks after that?

Was she on the cold side before that and move back on the warm side when you think she ovulated?
    That was back in February. Yes and yes. She was on the cold side all winter before that. I saw bowl wrapping and everything. She moved to the warm side, shed and has been on the warm side ever since. She shed once in February and once in May. I last paired her in the Fall last year. She's really confusing me. Is 7 months too long for her to go without food? I'm starting to worry but she is very large and of good weight.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silverbill View Post
    That was back in February. Yes and yes. She was on the cold side all winter before that. I saw bowl wrapping and everything. She moved to the warm side, shed and has been on the warm side ever since. She shed once in February and once in May. I last paired her in the Fall last year. She's really confusing me. Is 7 months too long for her to go without food? I'm starting to worry but she is very large and of good weight.
    7 months with no food for an animal that size is nothing I would worry about.

Now for the rest she was like building up at some point but obviously nothing came of it, and the shed you witness were just regular shed.

Some females are harder to read I know that usually my bigger female tend to be harder to read than my smaller ones.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

silverbill (07-30-2020),smokinserpents (08-11-2020)

Thanks

Everything sounds good and right for getting ready to lay or at least being pregnant, except the last shed in May part gets me, especially she acts and looks the way you say she does. My girls usually shed quite often when breeding

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk