Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,834

0 members and 1,834 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I love your grandma's idea! I am not a seamstress, but if it helps at all, the snake cozys I have had such great success with are made from a material called 'minky'. I think the circular entrance may just be an embroidery hoop, since those come in a variety of sizes and they are fairly flexible. They look like they'd be pretty easy to make, though friends of mine who are into crafting have mentioned that 'minky' can be challenging to work with since it's so soft/velvety. I've been meaning to post about the snake cozys here. I originally thought they sounded silly, but the nearly unanimous and very enthusiastic response to them by almost all of my snakes has convinced me they are really worth having around for anyone working with nervous snakes or anyone interested in enrichment.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks

Re: A tricky rehab, help and advice much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I love your grandma's idea! I am not a seamstress, but if it helps at all, the snake cozys I have had such great success with are made from a material called 'minky'. I think the circular entrance may just be an embroidery hoop, since those come in a variety of sizes and they are fairly flexible. They look like they'd be pretty easy to make, though friends of mine who are into crafting have mentioned that 'minky' can be challenging to work with since it's so soft/velvety. I've been meaning to post about the snake cozys here. I originally thought they sounded silly, but the nearly unanimous and very enthusiastic response to them by almost all of my snakes has convinced me they are really worth having around for anyone working with nervous snakes or anyone interested in enrichment.
    My Dad said he thinks they're a good idea. Ball pythons like spaces that feel tight around them so a bag would be nice, they could snuggle in and it would be flexible enough to not hurt them.
    He also decided he's gonna call them Ballsacks...so there's that...

You should definitely suggest them here, they sound like a good idea to me.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

Thanks
    So, he loves his ballsack. He's also just in this last week or so started being much less skittish. He's using his hide again, though only one of them. At the very least he doesn't show any sign of nervousness when I handle him as long as he's forewarned that it's a hand, not food or a predator. Things seem to be going well and a lot of it is thanks to all your advice!!
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-07-2020),Caitlin (08-08-2020),plateOfFlan (07-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I love it when it works... There are so many "human things" that a snake will enjoy for security...little ones like socks! That big BCI I used to have...when I had
    her out of her cage (for cleaning) she loved hanging out in a soft-sided doggy-carrier with a towel in it; it was black & well-ventilated, & felt like a cave to her. A little
    empathy goes a long way to ensure that our snakes feel safe, & when they feel safe, they don't bite.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-08-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12