Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

2 members and 2,911 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Need advice on Freedom Breeder

Hi, I am hoping to get some feedback. I am considering upgrading my ball python setup to Freedom Breeder. I’m currently using a hodgepodge of RBI, Animal Plastics and C Serpents. My issue is that I don’t have a heated reptile room. I’m in NJ, so it can get cooler in the winter. I know enclosed racks are more ideal for this environment, but I think a FB fits into my plans better. So here is my question, does anyone use them in an unheated reptile room? And if so, have you tried insulating the rack? What have you tried and how has that worked out? I know I may need to just stick with PVC as I’m not sure if heating the room will be an option. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Need advice on Freedom Breeder

I use some ARS racks which are open sided and similar to Freedom Breeder. I have to heat the room to maintain optimum temps. I live in Wisconsin so my house stays at a consistent 68-70 degrees all year, too cold for most python species. I heat the snake room to 78.

Thanks

Re: Need advice on Freedom Breeder

Prefer the ARS racks to FB because FB is heavy with too many sharp edges, even with the plastic parts for the ventilation. Plus shipping from west coast to east is expensive. Have 3 FB, 2 ARS racks, but will sell off the FB and stick to ARS hybrids. My room is cool and must use room heater at night for fall, winter.
    All my racks are 10 level high. Got rid of the 4' power strips. Use two 6 plug power strips per rack with my herpstat 2 on each rack. Heat stays same on all 10 levels. Use the opaque tubs for breeding season and the semi clear for remainder of year.

Mike nyc,ny