Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,354

0 members and 1,354 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Birthday Girl 9er.

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Appreciate the response! My BOA will gladly cleanup the refusals but I would like to give the BP a puncher's chance of taking the prey. After speaking w/ Ziggy, I'm going to try and leave the prey in for 2 hours and then feed to my BOA if it's still there. Glad to have the years of expertise from snakes owners like yourself and Ziggy.
    Zig is a good man with a great collection.

Royals are easy, but they are a pain at times.

They are one of the, if not the longest lived snakes because of the way they self regulate their food intake.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-29-2020),jmcrook (07-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    They are one of the, if not the longest lived snakes because of the way they self regulate their food intake.
    Yep. To the best of my knowledge, the longest recorded lifespan of any known snake species was royal python that lived at Philadelphia Zoo for 47yrs and was a young adult when they got it. The Barkers also mention a couple of ancient royals in their most recent “pythons of the world” book when discussing python longevity. The couple they refer to are I think 50+ yrs old and still alive at the time of publication. Can verify that when I’m back home later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Youz gents are very kind. Love and Respect.

Gio- I LOVE your attitude towards healthy animals refusing to eat. It's very similar but a little more nuanced than my own. I take a more hardline stance sometimes and I'm learning to soften that up a bit . It's amazing to me how these animals have thrived for millennia during feasts and famines. I've learned that they really don't need much help from us to eat. It's our responsibility as keepers of captive animals to provide the conditions necessary for our animals to thrive. For me that's proper temperatures, clean/secure enclosures, fresh water, and food. The snakes can pretty much handle the rest. Your critters are a prime example. You have beautiful, healthy animals that eat less than 10 times a year and a BP that hasn't eaten in 7 months and counting. I know it's annoying because we all want our animals to always eat, but we have to trust nature, and our animal's instincts, to take their course while we relax and enjoy the show.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 07-29-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-29-2020),jmcrook (07-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Youz gents are very kind. Love and Respect.

Gio- I LOVE your attitude towards healthy animals refusing to eat. It's very similar but a little more nuanced than my own. I take a more hardline stance sometimes and I'm learning to soften that up a bit . It's amazing to me how these animals have thrived for millennia during feasts and famines. I've learned that they really don't need much help from us to eat. It's our responsibility as keepers of captive animals to provide the conditions necessary for our animals to thrive. For me that's proper temperatures, clean/secure enclosures, fresh water, and food. The snakes can pretty much handle the rest. Your critters are a prime example. You have beautiful, healthy animals that eat less than 10 times a year and a BP that hasn't eaten in 7 months and counting. I know it's annoying because we all want our animals to always eat, but we have to trust nature, and our animal's instincts, to take their course while we relax and enjoy the show.
    Zig, that was like scripture.

Well said. 💪👍

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Yep. To the best of my knowledge, the longest recorded lifespan of any known snake species was royal python that lived at Philadelphia Zoo for 47yrs and was a young adult when they got it. The Barkers also mention a couple of ancient royals in their most recent “pythons of the world” book when discussing python longevity. The couple they refer to are I think 50+ yrs old and still alive at the time of publication. Can verify that when I’m back home later.

Found it. Sorry to derail your thread slightly, Gio, but I think many would enjoy reading this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-29-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Found it. Sorry to derail your thread slightly, Gio, but I think many would enjoy reading this.

Man, that is surreal.. I knew that BP life spans around 20-30 but didn't realize they can live 50 or more. They're going to need their own trust!
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    This is an awesome thread! Thanks to all chiming in this was a great read after popping on here for the first time in a bit.

there have Been some really great thoughts already said but I just wanted to say that the best thing you can do for your animal in my eyes is learn it. Read it. Understand it and it’s patterns. They are all so different and once you see the rhythm ( which they all have and you can figure out over time) it becomes so easy. Having a multitude and variety of animals myself, you truly see how alike yet different they all can be.

even in the same species ! Of my 3 bps. One eats like he doesn’t know he’s a bp going on 3 and misses a meal for shed here and there or a sporadic offering. One is constantly off on and will sometimes est if I leave it but it’s always 50/50. One eats like a machine when she’s on and then is so off when she’s off. But I know it now and how she is. She slams prey when she’s ready. If she doesn’t I know she’s not into it and I don’t even leave it it’s a waste because I know how she is now because it’s her routine.

we all get caught up in temps and set ups and prey size and this and that. Yes we need to provide those things but that’s easy once dialed in. Learn the animal and it makes it so easy. I used to stress so hard in the beginning about every little thing and as you learn and grow it just becomes easier and way more fun when all the stress is gone.

enjoy all. Thanks again fun read
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12