Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 630

1 members and 629 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Overfed Yearling

Ty all.

Sorry if it was posted in redtails,, my bad.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rakeonepow View Post
    Ty all.

Sorry if it was posted in redtails,, my bad.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk
    There’s no Central American boas forum on here so red tails is fine. You’ve clearly stated the animal’s background in your posts so anyone that cares to read can glean that information with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I hope you didn't take my mentioning I did not think it was a red tail as confrontational. I was merely stating that Morph Boas grow at a faster rate than locality Boas.

Here is the Brian Boas video discussing just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr1_3JZ8hiM

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

OP - what you describe of the past feeding doesn't seem like power feeding at all. Your current schedule is fine, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    I am far from an expert but that doesn't look like a red tail to me (this is posted in the red tail section). Kind of looks like some kind or Morph to me? Brian Boas has some you tube videos showing Morphs grow faster than normal/regular Boas.

With that being said your snake looks healthy to me.
    Red tail is an outdated term used to refer to various/all boa constrictors, depending on who you ask. Since there isn't a "boa constrictor" category, or a more specific one to suite OP's boa, this forum unfortunately would still be considered the correct one. I don't really like using "red tail" for any boa constrictor, but that was the most common label used for them in the past next to boa constrictor, and that's what the forum is using.

Also not really sure how a morph would grow faster than a normal. lol Feeding holds the most influence over growth rate. My normal grew faster than any of my morphs - he was 6' by 3 years whereas my 5 year old morphs have yet to reach 6'. But there was a year period where housing got kinda crazy, and where my usual f/t suppliers ran out of the rats I needed...which is why I now breed my own. They may have already reached 6' by now if it weren't for that, and they're growing more rapidly than ever now. But regardless, they never would have reached 6' by 3 years unless I power fed them as well.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 08-02-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-02-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    OP - what you describe of the past feeding doesn't seem like power feeding at all. Your current schedule is fine, too.

Red tail is an outdated term used to refer to various/all boa constrictors, depending on who you ask. Since there isn't a "boa constrictor" category, or a more specific one to suite OP's boa, this forum unfortunately would still be considered the correct one. I don't really like using "red tail" for any boa constrictor, but that was the most common label used for them in the past next to boa constrictor, and that's what the forum is using.

Also not really sure how a morph would grow faster than a normal. lol Feeding holds the most influence over growth rate. My normal grew faster than any of my morphs - he was 6' by 3 years whereas my 5 year old morphs have yet to reach 6'. But there was a year period where housing got kinda crazy, and where my usual f/t suppliers ran out of the rats I needed...which is why I now breed my own. They may have already reached 6' by now if it weren't for that, and they're growing more rapidly than ever now. But regardless, they never would have reached 6' by 3 years unless I power fed them as well.
    I don't think red tail is outdated at all. It has recently been changed to more specific BCC/BC Red Tail, and BCI/BI all other locality Boas.

My Pastel Hypo Jungle Boa who I have fed 10% of weight every 14 days seems to prove that out to me? I have recently changed him to every 21 days at 15 months as he is growing like a weed. He seems "hungry" when fed at that interval. He has never refused a meal. He is 4' and 850 grams

Here is where Brians Boas discusses growth rate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr1_3JZ8hiM
    Last edited by Alien; 08-03-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12