Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 974

4 members and 970 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Possible mouth injury?

So my ball python struck the metal tongs by accident instead of the rat, worst fear of my life. It's been days and he hasn't showed any interest in food anymore. Infact he seems scared/stressed by the site of food right now. Could the tongs have injured his teeth, how sensitive are ball python teeth? Is there a way of checking his teeth/mouth, is a vet visit in need, or should I just not worry?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You can check his mouth if you feel the need. If you're not sure how you'll want to watch a few YouTube videos to learn how.
    But you probably don't need to. He's likely just a bit stressed.

If you're trying to feed him again because he didn't eat when he struck you can wait a bit, it won't hurt. Offering food too often can actually lead to further stress, which can lead to further food refusals.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2020),christineho (07-24-2020),dakski (07-24-2020),dr del (07-24-2020),XpensiveWino (07-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Exactly. He might have gotten a sore mouth & a bit spooked by what happened, but once a snake refuses a meal, it's best to let them wait at
    LEAST a week, or maybe two, before you offer food again. Gives them time to de-stress.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-24-2020),dr del (07-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies and advice everyone! Wasn't sure how worried I should be

Thanks

Re: Possible mouth injury?

Mine did something similar this spring, he's 5 and fasts every winter. But he was suddenly ravenous around March 20th and I went to get his rat warm - he was sooo ready to eat that he struck the glass door of his cage before I could open it! He immediately squirmed back and forth like it hurt and retreated to a hide, he didn't come out voluntarily for two weeks. I checked his mouth/face and there wasn't any obvious wounds but I imagine it was bruised. He eventually ate and the incident was forgotten.

I think the pain response is strong in reptiles and when something hurts they avoid it from then on, but re-learn that everything is ok as long as the negative stimulus isn't repeated. I've heard of pet ball pythons refusing certain color of prey if a live one attacks them; my male gecko go bit under the eye by a particularly feisty superworm two years ago and STILL refuses to go near them
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Possible mouth injury?

My boas have a habit of striking the acrylic doors in anticipation of food. The worst that's happened in 4 years is Behira, my female BI, bent a tooth and it fell out.

Unless there is noticeable damage, I wouldn't sweat it.

However, as mentioned, your BP could have been spooked and then to eaten that time. Wait until next feed and see what happens.

They can absolutely damage themselves striking the doors or tongs, etc. However, they are also pretty tough. Stay on top of it but otherwise, don't worry too much.