Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,076

2 members and 3,074 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sanzo

Thanks

Re: Sanzo

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's fun to see snakes on branches, but just remember he's as good at this as he's ever likely to be- the wide body of a BP doesn't translate to much in the way of gymnastics, especially after they grow larger. I'm all for "enrichment" but I'd stick to wide "branches" or driftwood things- not sure if those backgrounds would be wide enough?

He might also enjoy tunnels just as much? Like a couple of those half-round tree-bark tunnels- they're very stable to climb on, & they offer hiding too, but not to take the place of his actual "hides" of course.
    I'm not thinking of making a huge jungle gym but adding something a little more. He's a pretty active climber right now. When I hold him he's always trying to climb up on me or objects. When I check on him late at night he's often perched on the branch so I think he would utilize some more climbing options. He's very active at night. Every morning I'm having to put his terrarium back together after he's knocked around all the fake plants. He managed to completely tip over the water bowl once.

The rock wall is more of a visual thing for me than him. I would like the terrarium to look more nature-y even though 90% of everything is plastic. There are a couple premade reptile rockwalls like Universal Rocks that could be made to fit the back of a T-10 but it covers those back vents. I never see him use the little tunnel log that's in there but maybe he would like a bigger version. The hides will remain! I try to kind of hide them by putting fake plants on top of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    He might enjoy a "sky-hide" or a "tree-house" (basket in branches) at that? It's fun trying new things for our snakes- sometimes you never know until you try it. The rock-wall background would look nice, but I didn't think they made any wide enough for him to climb so I wasn't sure what you were going for with that, but scenery is awesome. Anyway, you'll figure it out.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

He might enjoy a "sky-hide" or a "tree-house" (basket in branches) at that? It's fun trying new things for our snakes- sometimes you never know until you try it. The rock-wall background would look nice, but I didn't think they made any wide enough for him to climb so I wasn't sure what you were going for with that, but scenery is awesome. Anyway, you'll figure it out.
    Ah, I see what you mean. I was talking about an aesthetic background rather than a functional climbing one.

That's a good idea! I'll see if I can do find a way to secure something like that and see if he uses it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    Ah, I see what you mean. I was talking about an aesthetic background rather than a functional climbing one.

That's a good idea! I'll see if I can do find a way to secure something like that and see if he uses it.
    I think someone here (but I forget who?) posted pics of their BP climbing into an overhead hide (like the normal black ones but installed in the ceiling of enclosure using brackets)- apparently theirs loves using it, so not all BPs follow "the rules".

Here ("sky hide")- https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2682172
    If memory serves me, they used brackets that are used to hold a mirror on the wall to install the hide on the ceiling. Wish I could do those but I have tanks with screen tops for my colubrids.

My rat snakes are good climbers & I wedge branches into their tanks, then wire a basket into them near the top- they love using them, & sometimes sleep up there too. Many things work, & it's fun to get creative & see what our snakes like. (If you use a basket, just make sure there are no holes that your snake might get stuck in.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-27-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks

I think someone here (but I forget who?) posted pics of their BP climbing into an overhead hide (like the normal black ones but installed in the ceiling of enclosure using brackets)- apparently theirs loves using it, so not all BPs follow "the rules".

Here ("sky hide")- https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2682172
    If memory serves me, they used brackets that are used to hold a mirror on the wall to install the hide on the ceiling. Wish I could do those but I have tanks with screen tops for my colubrids.

My rat snakes are good climbers & I wedge branches into their tanks, then wire a basket into them near the top- they love using them, & sometimes sleep up there too. Many things work, & it's fun to get creative & see what our snakes like. (If you use a basket, just make sure there are no holes that your snake might get stuck in.)
    That's very cool. Your idea of wedging a basket with branches sounds more appealing. I don't want to drill permanent holes into the cage.

Thanks

That's very cool. Your idea of wedging a basket with branches sounds more appealing. I don't want to drill permanent holes into the cage.
    I hear ya. Or see if he likes & uses it first anyway. I buy baskets in thrift stores usually- very cheap, lots of selection, & if you find one you like but it has a handle, it's easy to just cut it off anyway. The color & texture of woven baskets looks natural too, & you could easily attach some fake foliage, if you wanted.

(And it doesn't hurt anything to spray-disinfect used baskets & let them air dry- I use chlorhexidine, as I use to clean cages.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-27-2021 at 04:09 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Trinityblood (05-27-2021)

Thanks
    My friend was trying to teach me how to crochet and she made this basket thing. I turned it into a snake hat.

Insert banana joke here:

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-11-2022),Bogertophis (11-22-2021),dakski (06-30-2021),Lord Sorril (06-30-2021),Luvyna (11-22-2021),ROSIEonFIRE (11-22-2021)

Thanks
    Still not satisfied with the tank. I tried moving plants around but I've had to stall making improvements for a bit. I tried using reptibark but the humidity is too high. It's always 100%. He's at 752 grams and still gaining between 80-100 grams a month.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-29-2022),Luvyna (11-22-2021),ROSIEonFIRE (11-22-2021)

Thanks

Still not satisfied with the tank. I tried moving plants around but I've had to stall making improvements for a bit. I tried using reptibark but the humidity is too high. It's always 100%. He's at 752 grams and still gaining between 80-100 grams a month.

The tank looks great! Keep us updated on his progress. He's looking REALLY gorgeous.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Beautiful banana! He looks so sweet and gentle. He is so lucky and spoiled with that lovely enclosure It's really nice that he's a good eater and growing fast, he looked a tad skinny in the original post but he filled out nicely very quickly under your care.

For the humidity, I'm not sure if Reptibark is the same as Forest Floor cypress mulch in the sense that it is super damp when it comes out of the bag, but if so, what I've found helps is spreading it out in another container or a large plastic bag and letting it air dry for a few days before putting it into the enclosure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Trinityblood (01-07-2022)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast