Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,576

2 members and 2,574 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What got you started/ addicted to Ball Pythons

Just thought I'd ask for fun what got you all started and or addicted to ball pythons. For me it was a normal I called pete the snake re-homed from my girl friends sisters bf about 15 years ago. Never forget her lol.

Sean

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

cincy (07-23-2020)

Thanks
    I’ve always wanted a bp. Always seemed like the situation wasn’t right or the person I was with hated snakes. So I convinced my better half who didn’t really want one in the house to let me have one.

Boy did her tune change once I started socializing it. She is now obsessed with them as am I.

Fast forward 14 weeks later. We now have 7 snakes 5 of them are bp’s. With another 3 coming in from a breeder all with different morphs. Our one normal will always be the baby though.

We recently decided to pump our brakes. Slow our roll and focus on just keeping the ones we have happy and healthy. We are also resisting the urge to buy older breeders as we feel we should gain more knowledge while the little ones grow. Although they are loving this humid Ohio summer.0

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (07-23-2020)

Thanks
    I got into it being scared of snakes, but loved animals. Was always into coral reef tanks. I started going to reptile shows monthly, and talking with breeders locally. Next thing you know I purchased a butter ball python, that has now turned into 5 bp's, and I have 2 racks now with room to grow lol!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cincy For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (07-23-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seeing a Pied for the first time is what really did it, the only problem they were $10000 so at the time I bought a pair of hets for $1200 and made my own, and the rest is history.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-23-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

christineho (07-24-2020),EL-Ziggy (07-24-2020),jmcrook (07-23-2020),Luvyna (07-23-2020),sp0420 (07-23-2020)

Thanks

Re: What got you started/ addicted to Ball Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Seeing Pied for the first time is what did it, the only problem they were $10000 so at the time I bought a pair of hets for $1200 and made my own, and the rest is history.
    This is what happened to me as well. I don't believe in love at first sight lol but that's exactly what happened when I first found out about BPs (didn't even know they existed before that, the only pet snake I knew about was corn snakes), started watching YouTube videos about ball pythons, and saw a pied in one of Garrick DeMeyer's videos. That started me on the path of researching BPs in earnest, falling in love with the species, and deciding to get one.

The breeder I visited had a banana pied available at the time but I ended up liking an albino mojave the most and I've had him for over an year now. Still possibly looking to get a pied one day but not for a few years at least until I'm sure I can handle two and deal with potential feeding strikes with them both.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (07-23-2020)

Thanks

I've always liked snakes but been pretty wary around them - not really scared but just.... careful. My sister had them for years but I didn't handle them much because she didn't have friendly breeds. Last year my niece and I were watching Youtube videos and found a channel all about snakes, and we got hooked on watching them.

So last April I just decided to pull the trigger and got my lovely Ana Gwyn, my redhead pastel ball python girl. She is a TOTAL love, very easy to handle, my niece adores her. She's only about 6-8 months old and weighs about 280 grams, so she's still pretty small, but she's just a wonderful girl, so friendly and so much personality.

I love her so much that I got another one almost three weeks ago, a teeny little chocolate enchi I named Tonkatsu/Tonks. Tonks is much smaller than Ana Gwyn was when I got her, she's only about 70 grams, but she is a FIERCE eater (though pretty stupid, she likes to eat her mice butt-first) so I expect her to grow quickly. She's not as comfortable being held as Ana Gwyn is, but we're working on it, and she's more comfortable with my niece so my niece helps me by spending time with her once a week or so (the kid is an animal whisperer and wants to be a vet or a zookeeper). Oddly, even though Tonks is the shy one about being held, she's also the one who NEVER goes in her hide and actually shoves it off the UTH so she can lay on the warms but be out in the open. She'll also position herself on her stick and cosplay as an arboreal snake for an hour or so every few days. Silly snek.

I can definitely see myself turning one of my spare bedrooms into a "snake room" one of these days! I love ball pythons, but I'd really like to have a plains hognose, and some corns and garter snakes (I almost adopted one of Snake Discovery's red-sided garter babies that was just born with two kinks in its back, I was her second choice so I just barely missed out!). I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to snakes now, lol.
    Last edited by OoohShiny; 07-23-2020 at 07:07 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OoohShiny For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (07-28-2020)

Thanks

Love this prompt!

My 6th grade science teacher had all kinds of snakes in his classroom (sand boa, bp, brb, etc.) and used to let students come in before school started every few weeks to hold the snake while he cleaned the tanks. I went early every single time for the entire year! I was even bitten by the sand boa but it didn't deter my curiosity one bit. I had no idea there were so many morphs and as soon as I saw my first BEL, I fell in love. We now have a normal, banana, and BEL, and are hoping to add more once we get some more space!
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo

14. The Following User Says Thank You to christineho For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (07-28-2020)

Thanks
    I always was fascinated reptiles and snakes as a child but parents weren't having it. So in my early 20's I walked into a reptile shop with my girlfriend (who is now my wife) and said that I need a commitment in my life . Ended up picking up a beautiful normal BP who was 2 months old at the time. 8 years later, I have a total of 5.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (08-07-2020)

Thanks
    I've always thought of snakes overall as fascinating and gorgeous creatures, then December of 2018 I decided I wanted to get a Royal Python after months of research to feel ready for the commitment and setting everything up.

Today I'm the proud momma of 2 royals and a corn, with hopes of expanding responsibly overtime

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jane-Pythons For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (07-28-2020)

Thanks
    I originally wanted to keep saltwater fish again but then I started watching reptile videos and began heavily researching ball pythons. found them appealing since they seemed like fish but less messy, live much longer, cheaper to keep, easier to maintain, and they can be handled. The snake gives me something to work towards, research, and maintain for fun.

It was kind of an impulse buy and not. I suddenly realized there was nothing stopping me from getting one so I went out and got one. The last time I saw a snake in person was a decade ago at a zoo LOL. I didn't realize so many people hated snakes until I stated I was getting one. Most everyone I know recoiled and gave varying degrees of hellnahs so I stopped telling anyone about it. Kinda sad, but oh well, I got the snake for me.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 07-24-2020 at 05:03 PM.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

cincy (07-28-2020),dakski (08-19-2020),dr del (07-24-2020),sp0420 (07-28-2020),Vegan.Hiker (08-05-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast