Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,799

1 members and 2,798 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Looking at a local bp, but the girl says she won't eat

I'm looking to add a blood python to the stable and a local girl has a pretty snake. She has had her 5 months and suspects she's less than a year old. The people she got her from said she was eating frozen/thawed but the snake has refused to eat for her the whole time she's had her. She says she still grows and sheds but won't eat. She's tried frozen/thawed, live, all the tricks in the book people are suggesting but would rather cuddle with a live rat than strike It and eat it. I'd love to have a blood python in my zoo but I don't want to purchase a snake that may end up dying a month or two down the road. My ball python, Amazon tree boa, Colombian rainbow boa and white sided black rat snake all seem to eat like champs. With all the local people that are snake hobbyists, I would have figured someone could have given her a good tip by now. Any of you wanna throw your .02 in?

Thanks

Re: Looking at a local bp, but the girl says she won't eat

What are her temps and setup like? Stress and/or illness will make any snake not eat. I have bloods and short-tails and the only time they don't eat is when they are in shed. If one of them skipped and wasn't nearing a shed cycle, I would be concerned. They eat every time like clockwork. Maybe they aren't all like that , but I would say that something is definitely off about her husbandry or the health of the snake if hasn't eaten in 5 months. There are plenty of quality animals out there, I wouldn't mess with this one unless you are up for a rescue mission.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteV For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-21-2020),GoingPostal (07-20-2020)

Thanks
    I am going to ask her tomorrow what the enclosure is like. The little bit I've gathered about the species is that when smaller/younger, they apparently like a snug enclosure with plenty to hide in for security. Im sure she's able to get the temps/humidity where it should be as that's not hard info to find and settings to reproduce, but it may be too big of an enclosure to begin with. I may see if i can stop by tomorrow and check out the enclosure and ask her about her husbandry and what she's doing and see if anything sticks out to me, as well as getting some current pictures of the snake.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I agree that it's highly likely it's in a poor setup, too large, too open, too hot maybe. If it was truly eating previously and won't even touch live now, something is up. I wouldn't pay much if anything if you decide to take it on though.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (07-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

If you do decide to take in the animal, quarantine, quarantine, quarantine.

Once you bring an animal home, you are not only taking in that animal, but also risking your existing collection.

Again, quarantine, quarantine, quarantine. If you are not sure how to properly do that, just ask.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (07-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Looking at a local bp, but the girl says she won't eat

You got your first snake barely a month ago. It’s not a race. I’d pass this one up and focus on the multiple animals you’ve already accumulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-21-2020 at 12:07 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-21-2020),dakski (07-21-2020),Luvyna (07-21-2020),Toad37 (07-21-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    You got your first snake barely a month ago. It’s not a race. I’d pass this one up and focus on the multiple animals you’ve already accumulated.

Wow I did not realize that until you brought this up. I was reading OP's post that made it seem like he had been owning snakes for awhile... But he is right, OP, you admitted that you took in your first snake back in 6/16.

Bloods are not beginner snakes. I agree that you should relax on the collecting, focus on your existing animals. It may seem boring at first, but as months go by, you will start notice how small their enclosures were, or what upgrades you could do, or what can you change and add, etc... Those things costs money. For example, if you are using a cheap thermostat, start thinking long term and save up for a more reliable thermostat like Herpstat, or start looking into upgrading to a PVC cage from Animal Plastic (Both items are not cheap). Or if you rent or live at home, start planning long term about moving out or saving up for a permanent home so you can eliminate the fear of having to rehome any of your animals in the future.

Just some ideas to show that there is always something to do. The more and faster you collect, the faster you will burn out, and regret.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-21-2020),GoingPostal (07-21-2020),Luvyna (07-21-2020),Toad37 (07-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Yeah, I agree. It took me a while to get to 12 animals. I acquired the current twelve over the past 8 years, but have been caring for reptiles since I was 10. I am 40 now. I am incredibly happy with my collection, but have been doing it most of my life and work from home and accept the responsibility and time it takes. Honestly, I am at my limit. Anymore and it would become a burden, not a hobby. However, 12 isn't the magic number for everyone. It depends greatly on the individual keeper and the type of animals and type of enclosures they keep.

We've all been where you are now. I don't think anyone is trying to preach. We want what's best for you and your animals.

Do what you want, but if you want my advice, start thinking about how big you want your collection to be, how much you plan to spend monthly and yearly, etc. on supplies, electricity, enclosures, etc. How much space do you have? What does your family think/want? Can you care for these animals for their long lives, etc.

Most importantly, don't have regrets. Get the animals you want to get, but at a reasonable pace so that you a) know what each animal requires, b) you can interact with them and maintain them properly and keep them clean etc - TIME is a big constraint here for most, c) get healthy animals, and most of all ENJOY THE RIDE!

We often spend so much time worrying about acquiring, not just with reptiles, but in our society, that we forget to look at what we have and how great those things (animals, homes, cars, etc.) are.

Anyway, as I said, do what you want, but I would spend some time researching, meeting some snakes, and thinking about where you want to go with the hobby. Keep it a hobby though - don't let it become a burden.

Finally, I've found it helps to handle adults of a species before getting little ones. I've been keeping reptiles for about 25 years in aggregate and have some intermediate species (BI's and a BC, Carpet Python, Rhacodactylus Leachie and Chewie, etc.). I consider myself an experienced keeper, but do not need expert animals. A Blood Python is probably more intermediate than expert, but I wouldn't want one. I've read about feeding issues, humidity issues, they like lower heat, etc.

Not saying you shouldn't get one because I don't want one, but there are so many wonderful species out there and you are just getting started. Spend some time exploring all the options. That way you can make the best decision for you and have no regrets.

Best to you on whatever you do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-21-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post

Agree 100000000%.

In this hobby we see SOOOOO MANY people dive in head first like you are. And we see ALMOST as many disappear as quickly as they dove in. Full collection sales on Craigslist, animals ditched on pet store doorsteps, animals neglected and left to die, etc.... Please don't be one of those people.

Pump the brakes, enjoy the animals you have and take some serious time to decide if you REALLY love this hobby or it's just a fad. Trust me, we see plenty of people treat these amazing animals like Pokemon collectibles with no regard for the fact snakes are living creatures. Not saying this is you, just saying it's very common.

I hope each of your new additions has been properly quarantined. But guessing by the number of animals and duration of time between adding animals that's barely possible unless you have them scattered over multiple rooms.

As for this blood, I wouldn't. You're still too new to take on a difficult eater. My Borneo STP is my only pain in the butt eater. He eats when he feels like it with no rhyme or reason. I've been in this hobby many years and he gives me fits. And despite the fact that when I take on an animal I take it on for life, I considered rehoming him because he's surviving and not thriving. I aim for my animals to thrive, not just survive.

I've been in this hobby over 15 years, currently have 7 snakes all acquired over 4+ years. And I was getting BACK into the hobby (long story, but rehomed my animals years ago) so I knew my passion was already there. I added my last in March and won't be adding another til January at soonest.

Take your time, enjoy your animals.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-21-2020),Luvyna (07-21-2020),Toad37 (07-21-2020)

Thanks
    Well, thanks for all the help, but nevermind. I wrote her yesterday morning to ask for pictures of her enclosure so I could try and suggest moving it to a smaller tub with lots of stuff to hide under temporarily in case her enclosure was too big and see if she could get her to eat. I was also going to tell her if she'd take less, I'd take her so I could take her to get checked out and then move her to a smaller tub myself but after reading the message and being off and on all day she never wrote back. I guess she didn't want to sell it too bad afterall.