Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

2 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hunger strike week3

So little man went on a feeding strike about 3 weeks ago. After offering a few different scents. He is still refusing. Nothing has changed for him as far as temps and husbandry. In terms of causing him to go off food.

its been about a solid week with out me throwing any food at him. I thought it would be a good time to take him out and put him in a little container slightly bigger than a delicup so he can still move around a little. I scented a live pink mouse with salmon. I also put a little bit of the salmon in there as well. Hell I will be happy if he eats the salmon. In retrospect I’m thinking a live pink might just piss him off more. However it’s done. Got him in a quiet place with low light. Wish me luck! I will update.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hunger strike week3

Hognose can be picky especially males

Has he eaten from you previously?

What is his size? (weight)

How big is your enclosure?

What substrate do you use?

What are your temps?

How do you offer food?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    He was born May 14. Had 5 meals from breeder. Was fed every 3 day. Xs mouse pink. I was feeding every 5 days. Two left out and a couple off the tongs. Also xs pinks.

He is a male. Came at 9. Got him to 10. Haven’t weighed in awhile. He does look slightly smaller. He shed and pooped for me. I stopped offering on tongs when he started striking at them.

Enclosure is 15 gallon, but has a lot of clutter and substrate. Aspen

he has a heat mat. Surface scanned temp is 88. Cool side 70-75 degrees. Humidity stays at 50%. I can’t get it any lower.

He comes out and plays with his rice sock every now and then. It’s tied up and he try’s to burrow through it. He doesn’t seem sick or super stressed. Stomach and vent look/feel ok. I can see why he would be sick of mice pinks though. I even tried leaving a pink out scented with Vienna sausages as I had seen you suggest. If this doesn’t work thinking about hard boiled egg.

Thanks
    Also he has a day/cycle with uvb

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well I am not surprise it is not eating.

First breeders are in too much of a rush to get rid of their animals and IMO they should not be sold before getting at least 10 unscented f/t meals, anything shy of that and a new owner is usually a receipe for disaster as hognose especially young ones will go down the hill fast if they do not eat.

First your enclosure is WAY too big and should be put aside until your hog reaches 50 grams. At this age for a well established animal I would recommend a 5 gallons tank at the very most and in most cases it does not work, if the animal is already showing feeding issue at that age it was either not well started or is not kept in optimum conditions and in this case it's a combination of both.

Get a 6 quarts tub or smaller 2.7 would be even better, have 1/2 inch of aspen as bedding and leave him alone.

Tempertures are too low as well on the cool side you need to bump that cool side to 78 and 80 would be best.

Humidity is too high as well ambient humidity 20% to 30% is what you need to aim for.

After that offer food give is 3 to 5 days to settle.

Offer as followed

Unscented Live pink

Scented live pink with the following in order

Vienna sausage

Tuna

Chicken (from chicken in a can)

Hard boiled egg

Sardine

Anchovies
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-21-2020),GoingPostal (07-27-2020)

Thanks
    Ok. Yeah that seem a little extreme feeding to me. I will definitely change his enclosure. Humidity is going to be a little rough but I do have a dehumidifier I can bring up and keep him in a different room. I will definitely follow to a T.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Igotsmallballs View Post
    Ok. Yeah that seem a little extreme feeding to me. I will definitely change his enclosure. Humidity is going to be a little rough but I do have a dehumidifier I can bring up and keep him in a different room. I will definitely follow to a T.
    Every 3 days is actually a great schedule until they are a out 15 to 20 grams because they have a high metabolism and the prey item is meaningless it's just they need to be fed a lot more before being released, I don't even let mine go anymore until they are 15 grams and really bullet proof.

One more thing when you offer food don't off with tongs, usually until they are about 15 grams it's a hit and miss for them, simply fold a piece of paper towel and put the prey item on it and leave it overnight
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-20-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-04-2020),Igotsmallballs (07-20-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Every 3 days is actually a great schedule until they are a out 15 to 20 grams because they have a high metabolism and the prey item is meaningless it's just they need to be fed a lot more before being released, I don't even let mine go anymore until they are 15 grams and really bullet proof.

One more thing when you offer food don't off with tongs, usually until they are about 15 grams it's a hit and miss for them, simply fold a piece of paper towel and put the prey item on it and leave it overnight
    Copy that. Thx!

Thanks
    Little man is in a 2.7 quart tub. Got him out yesterday to put him in and he was blue. Hopefully he can shed and adjust at the same time. Letting him chill. The enclosure does look way more suitable for his size. He his even using the much smaller hide I got for him. Which is a first for him. Normally he would borrow outside the hide while still being on the heat mat.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-21-2020),EL-Ziggy (07-21-2020),Spicey (08-04-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Trust in Deb. She got my Hognose boy eating a while back. He's been thriving ever since.

Here's the link if your interested (cool, but somewhat sad story of how he came into my possession)

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-to-the-family

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-04-2020),Igotsmallballs (07-21-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (07-21-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast