Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

2 members and 3,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding Refusals after Positive Body Responses

Sorry another BP feeding topic.......but I'm perplexed by the rejections after witnessing such positive and 'interested' pre feeding responses.

3 Year old Male Ball Python (612 grams) (always had a weak feeding response which seems to be getting worse)

Has rejected last 4 meals (been offering small f/t rat every 2 weeks using the hair dryer method.

Last meal was on 5/22 which was 113 days ago where I heated and left it lay in his cage. I couldn't tell you the last time he's struck and coiled (it's been years).

Anyways, lately he's been roaming at night and hanging out of his hide, cocked and ready for the mouse. He seems to study the rat for a little bit and then retreats back in his hide.

Some of the things that have crossed my mind since it feels like the 'moons have to align' to get this guy to eat.

- maybe a new batch of fresh prey will do the trick (current is frozen sealed from an order 8 months ago)

- maybe he needs moved back to a smaller enclosure. He's in an AP10 and his former enclosure was 2 x 1 x 1. I've cluttered up his current AP10 enclosure pretty well

- temps and humidity seem to be dialed in

- maybe he's intimidated by the size of the prey and needs something smaller to kickstart his appetite

- just normal BP feeding responses

Any help would be appreciated.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Feeding Refusals after Positive Body Responses

I don't think it's the enclosure or your husbandry. Unfortunately it sounds like normal BP behavior to me brother. Hope he gets back on track soon.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-19-2020),cletus (07-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I don't think it's the enclosure or your husbandry. Unfortunately it sounds like normal BP behavior to me brother. Hope he gets back on track soon.
    yea, I get what you're saying Ziggy. I guess I'm applying too much human logic into it when 'thinking' what looks like an 'interested' response followed by a refusal means something.....

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

There's no rhyme or reason with these critters sometimes. I've had those BP feeding blues before and got over it. I was feeding live and only had one snake back then so it was an even bigger pain. My critters are a lot more predictable these days. Even though a few of them will go off feed annually it's always seasonal thing. You can scale those offerings back to every 3-4 weeks if you want. He's well established so he'll eat again eventually. At least you've got your boa to dispose of the refusals.
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-19-2020)

Thanks

At least you've got your boa to dispose of the refusals.
    Well that's the problem since my BP is a drop and wait until the next morning eater. It's been years since he's struck and coiled

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Well that's the problem since my BP is a drop and wait until the next morning eater. It's been years since he's struck and coiled
    You're being too nice . Don't let him dictate the terms. I used to leave prey items overnight for my hatchlings that were shy feeders but not anymore and definitely not for adults. If he likes to eat in the morning you could try feeding him earlier in the day. I tend to feed my snakes very late at night. They all take food from the tongs except for my female bullsnake. She's a maniac so I just throw her food in and get the heck out of the way. My male bullsnake will take chicks from the tongs but sometimes I have to leave his rats on top of his hide. If it's not eaten in 2 hours he loses that meal. Same thing with my Bredli. He'll take winter fasts of 3-5 months and can be sporadic afterwards. I leave the rat in for 2 hours max. If he doesn't eat it I remove it and feed it to another snake. I have an eat or not attitude when it comes to my snakes as long as I believe they're healthy.
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

You're being too nice . Don't let him dictate the terms. I used to leave prey items overnight for my hatchlings that were shy feeders but not anymore and definitely not for adults. If he likes to eat in the morning you could try feeding him earlier in the day. I tend to feed my snakes very late at night. They all take food from the tongs except for my female bullsnake. She's a maniac so I just throw her food in and get the heck out of the way. My male bullsnake will take chicks from the tongs but sometimes I have to leave his rats on top of his hide. If it's not eaten in 2 hours he loses that meal. Same thing with my Bredli. He'll take winter fasts of 3-5 months and can be sporadic afterwards. I leave the rat in for 2 hours max. If he doesn't eat it I remove it and feed it to another snake. I have an eat or not attitude when it comes to my snakes as long as I believe they're healthy.
    Interesting approach! I don't think that he prefers eating in the morning. I just think he's a just a super shy eater. I may try the 2 hour max rule.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    It could be that he’s super shy? I have a BP that won’t eat (even if she’s already struck and killed the rat) unless I cover the enclosure with a towel and stop all foot traffic past her tank. You could try giving him more privacy the same way.
    0.1 Normal [Artemis]
    0.1 Super Pastel [Persephone]
    1.0 Pastave [Chronos]
    1.0 Blizzard Leopard Gecko [Dimitri]
    1.1 Cats [Jesse McCree, Addison Sheppard]

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Sorry another BP feeding topic.......but I'm perplexed by the rejections after witnessing such positive and 'interested' pre feeding responses.

3 Year old Male Ball Python (612 grams) (always had a weak feeding response which seems to be getting worse)

Has rejected last 4 meals (been offering small f/t rat every 2 weeks using the hair dryer method.

Last meal was on 5/22 which was 113 days ago where I heated and left it lay in his cage. I couldn't tell you the last time he's struck and coiled (it's been years).

Anyways, lately he's been roaming at night and hanging out of his hide, cocked and ready for the mouse. He seems to study the rat for a little bit and then retreats back in his hide.

Some of the things that have crossed my mind since it feels like the 'moons have to align' to get this guy to eat.

- maybe a new batch of fresh prey will do the trick (current is frozen sealed from an order 8 months ago)

- maybe he needs moved back to a smaller enclosure. He's in an AP10 and his former enclosure was 2 x 1 x 1. I've cluttered up his current AP10 enclosure pretty well

- temps and humidity seem to be dialed in

- maybe he's intimidated by the size of the prey and needs something smaller to kickstart his appetite

- just normal BP feeding responses

Any help would be appreciated.
    Oddly enough one of my Royals went off her food when I moved her to a bigger viv - until I put her back in her old, small viv then she ate the next day .

As regards the hairdryer method .. the hairdryer is just a part of the trick .

With many Royals It’s not just a case of warming the mouse /rat up .. they are nocturnal so most will only be active and want to feed in the evenings ( there are a few who will eat anytime of course).

Anyways , in my experience, Royals need to feel secure before the will strike and eat . I let the frozen rodents thaw out in the snake room and that gets the snakes in the mood to eat - after a few hours they’re all ready and waiting . I make sure they are safe under a viv then immediately dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide entrance , feed in dim/low lighting so the heat pits can zoom into the warmed up mouse/rats heat signal ... it it shows interest ( as you mentioned) they normally get it straight away but if not RE-HEAT and offer again whilst warm .. keep repeating until it takes it under the hide .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tytysi View Post
    It could be that he’s super shy? I have a BP that won’t eat (even if she’s already struck and killed the rat) unless I cover the enclosure with a towel and stop all foot traffic past her tank. You could try giving him more privacy the same way.
    I think he's super shy and needs to have 'everything' right before deciding to feed. I feed in almost complete darkness w/ minimal lighting.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast