Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

3 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Little bit of concern

Hello!
    So I've had a ball python called Boxas for about a month and a half - 2 months now, and I absolutely adore him. He's been eating about once every 7 days and he hit 1 year old last month.
    He's been doing pretty well, I moved him from a 30 gallon tank to a 28 quart bin and he took about a week or two to get adjusted. After not taking food after that time, he's been eating frozen/thawed rats normally.
    He gave me one full shed in less than 12 hours and I'm so proud of him.
    Lately though, I'm a little bit concerned.
    I can't bring up the courage or strength to pry open his mouth, but I've noticed when he yawns or eats or drinks he has a bit of saliva in his mouth. Not much, but I was thinking it could be a respiratory issue. He shows no other signs though, like wheezing or loss of appetite. In fact, I fed him day before yesterday.
    Whenever I offer water to him he drinks most of the time, but sometimes a bit of the water drips out of his mouth. I don't think all of it, and the time between the two times was just fine. I never really heard of snakes spitting out water they willingly drank.
    I'm thinking it could be his humidity, since I'm keeping him on aspen. I gave him an appropriately sized humidity box though, and ever since I noticed this I've been keeping up with the humidity inside of it more regularly. He used to use his humidity box a lot, but ever since I swapped the forest floor substrate with actual moss he's avoided using it. Maybe he thinks he doesn't need it right now.
    I really hope it's not something serious and that I'm just overthinking this.
    I would seriously appreciate a response soon, I wanna fix this if it's an issue.
    Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Little bit of concern

I haven't noticed any replies and it sort of concerns me. I really want answers, I love my boy

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Well I detest aspen ...

It looks horrendous ( and unnatural ) it seems to suck the colour out of snakes and it gets all over the house ..

I use orchid bark / reptile-bark. .. looks great ( and natural) - it makes the snake colours stand out and you can spray it regularly to keep the humidity up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    You said he drinks when you offer water, is there a water bowl in the cage constantly? They do often drool a little water after drinking, that's normal.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2020),dr del (07-20-2020)

Thanks

It’s interesting that he drinks when you put water in .. that’s kinda unusual unless they’re real thirsty for whatever reason ... although I have heard about some snakes who will only drink fresh water as soon as it’s put in with them ..

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    It’s interesting that he drinks when you put water in .. that’s kinda unusual unless they’re real thirsty for whatever reason ... although I have heard about some snakes who will only drink fresh water as soon as it’s put in with them ..

I think the aspen shavings are hygroscopic (they suck out the humidity needed by a BP).

OP: we aren't SEEING your snake to tell you anything for sure. You should stay vigilant, if it's an RI, you'll see symptoms that get worse & more obvious.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-20-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

Oh I fill a bowl with water when I take him out and offer it to him, I don't always refill his water but I try to keep on top of it.

Thanks

it's good to hear that it's normal for them to drool some water, I haven't noticed any other problems so I think I'm in the clear. but if I notice any other problems I will come straight here.
    I use aspen because it's cheap and I've been told that it's fine as long as they have a humidity box. last time he shed he gave me one full healthy shed in under 12 hours so I think it's fine for him. though I've considered using a forest floor substrate that I have or even mix the two (without over hydrating it). some people have said that aspen molds when it's in contact with water? I personally never noticed any mold and his water dish always spills a little lol

Thanks

Ditch that ghastly aspen stuff

Thanks

Little bit of concern

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdomall View Post
    Oh I fill a bowl with water when I take him out and offer it to him, I don't always refill his water but I try to keep on top of it.
    So he drinks when you have him out to handle him ?? How very odd !

That kinda sounds like he’s always thirsty maybe even partially dehydrated ?!?

I have never witnessed a snake drinking like that in all my years .

Just clarify ... there is ALWAYS a bowl of reasonably fresh water in his viv - at all times ... isn’t there ?

Last edited by Zincubus; 07-21-2020 at 02:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast