Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,117

0 members and 1,117 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Humidity levels

Thanks

Humidity levels

This is gonna be an easy, dumb question. When I first got my BP all the guides I read including guides on here said his humidity levels should be 50-60%, 80% only for shed. Since then, all I'm seeing is comments that people's humidity is too low and it should be 70-80% at all times. That's a big difference!! One person even said not to worry about going too high unless there is water dripping off the glass. I heard that keeping it super high all the time could result in scale rot and respiratory infection but obviously I know dehydration is generally a bigger issue. What humidity levels do you feel are most correct?

Thanks

Re: Humidity levels

Honestly, there isn't a super firm consensus about it.

Because ball pythons are native to kind of a wide range of humidity levels. They're pretty hardy, and very tolerant of humidity mishaps (compared to some other species).

And aside from that, they are each individuals, just like us. Some humans naturally just have drier skin. Some of us have drier hair. Some of us are more oily.

That can be just as true for snakes. So cut yourself some slack, and pay attention to your individual snake. Shedding is a great way to monitor how well your humidity is meeting your snake's needs.

If you're unsure, make a humidity box and put it next to the warm hide in the tank. That's a great way to give your snake the ability to seek higher humidity levels if it needs to.

I never keep my ball python tank higher than 50%, I provide a humidity box, and the only time she ever uses it is when she's about to shed. And she's always had perfect sheds.

But I had a rescue ball python, with a lot of skin and respiratory issues, and he needed a higher ambient humidity than what is normally suggested for ball pythons.

So listen to your snake. As long as it's shedding well, you're fine with the lower humidity, and if you're unsure, get a humidity box to give your snake the option for higher humidity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApathyAngel For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (07-16-2020),soapapilla (07-16-2020)

Thanks

Re: Humidity levels

Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense and relieves my anxiety about doing everything perfectly. I live in a very dry climate so I do have a humidity hide and he uses it from time to time. I will keep an eye on his sheds. I appreciate your nuanced response.