Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

2 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

How to heat exo terra enclosure 1/3rd

So I have the Exo terra glass enclosure with the top being like 4 quadrants and I know I am supposed to heat 1/3rd of the enclosure how would I do that with one dome? I don’t want to burn the plastic.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You want a temp gradient, that doesn't mean just heating 1/3 of the enclosure. It's often suggested that under tank heat (UTH or heat mat) should cover 1/3 of the bottom of the enclosure. You may have gotten confused there.

But regardless...ALL HEAT SOURCES SHOULD BE REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT. Using a thermostat on ALL heat sources will make creating the temp gradient easy while also preventing things like burnt plastic. Not to mention prevents dangerous heat spikes that can cause horrible burns, neurological damage or even be fatal for the animal.

Is there an animal in the enclosure??
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 07-15-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Yes there is it’s a boa. I understand thermostats. Why is it every single time someone posts someone has to come up with something about thermostats is ridiculous. I’m just gonna deal with what I have I know what I’m doing it is what it is.

Banned
    Thanks
    Probably because they're the most important piece of equipment you can have when keeping reptiles.

If you know what you're doing why are you asking basic heating questions that should have been sorted out BEFORE putting an animal in the enclosure.

You obviously know about thermostats, so you CHOOSING not to use them is irresponsible and unsafe and unfair for your pet.

Thanks
    Who said anything that I’m not choosing to use a thermostat. Get your facts straight before you start fighting with me because this is bullhooey I didn’t say anything about not using the thermostat. I had questions about certain things but you think I’m not using a damn thermostat can’t even answer my damn question but whatever forget this place I don’t need Stupid idiots like you trying to say I’m not using the thermostat.
    Last edited by dr del; 07-16-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Edited post for language and censor trips

Thanks
    Mods I didn’t mean to get out of hand here but I really hate it when someone says I’m not responsible and I’m doing things Unsafe and not fair for the pet which I know what I’m doing I’m just asking questions with someone ask a question about heating it shouldn’t be hit with well or using a thermostat correctly just answer the question why can’t people just stick to that. I know I’m probably going to get banned I’m sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: How to heat exo terra enclosure 1/3rd

Hi,

I think part of the problem was this is posted in a ball python section instead of the boa section.

So, different animal behaviour in terms of climbing, security needs and temperatures.

When I hear exo-terra I picture a taller than it is long enclosure - in which case the temps needed to get the hot end hide right for a bp at ground level would be dangerous at the top of the enclosure.

Hence the replies about the heat gradient on the bottom of the enclosure.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: How to heat exo terra enclosure 1/3rd

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I think part of the problem was this is posted in a ball python section instead of the boa section.

So, different animal behaviour in terms of climbing, security needs and temperatures.

When I hear exo-terra I picture a taller than it is long enclosure - in which case the temps needed to get the hot end hide right for a bp at ground level would be dangerous at the top of the enclosure.

Hence the replies about the heat gradient on the bottom of the enclosure.

del
    I think regardless of species my reply would have been the same. I keep multiple species, all have tstats.

For what it's worth.... A properly regulated lamp will NOT melt plastic. If the lamp is just a few degrees warmer than the desired temp (approx 90) then the lamp won't melt plastic. Our body temp is warmer than 90 and plastic doesn't melt in our hands.

OP, you never said anything about having a tstat. You still haven't. So yeah, I thought of the best interest of the animal when I replied. And if you're afraid of plastic melting, you probably need to do some more homework. It's also wise to have temps and such dialed in BEFORE bringing an animal home.

But I'll leave it at that since you "know what you're doing" and obviously can't have a peaceful conversation.