Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,992

3 members and 2,989 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Heating issue

Thanks

Heating issue

Ok so I’ve got a problem with heating I’m using a Che 100 watt for a 40gallon exo Terra tank. All along I’ve been using the digital probes which I have two for temperatures viewing which are on top of the hot hide and cold hide. I recently bought a new ir gun which it is telling me that my probes are wrong. On top of the hot hide it read 112 but the probe was only reading 88 to 89. The jump start probe is telling me 88 also. Which should I trust? The snake has been eating and chilling but only at night.
    Last edited by Boosted350z; 07-14-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks

Re: Heating issue

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted350z View Post
    Ok so I’ve got a problem with heating I’m using a Che 100 watt for a 40gallon exo Terra tank. All along I’ve been using the digital probes which I have two for temperatures viewing. I recently bought a new ir gun which it is telling me that my probes are wrong. On top of the hot hide it read 112 but the probe was only reading 88 to 89. The jump start probe is telling me 88 also. Which should I trust? The snake has been eating and chilling but only at night.
    Where are you placing the probes? Sounds like you're taking ambient versus the hide.
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo

Thanks
    At 1st I had the probe in the hide which made the top of the hide hot at 100+. Now I have the probe on top of the hide. So now when it’s hot around 88 the top of the hide will be 90 ish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Makes perfect sense. Think of it this way. The leaves on the tree will almost certainly be warmer than the shade they create. Top of your hide and interior will act no different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Makes perfect sense. Think of it this way. The leaves on the tree will almost certainly be warmer than the shade they create. Top of your hide and interior will act no different

So should I not worry about the temps on top of the hide since it is directly under the che 100 watt bulb. Most of the temps are reading around 92 to 98 and maybe a spot of 100plus.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Depends on the behavior of your animal, conditions in your room, means of temperature regulation, etc.

My personal approach for my ball/royal python is 4x2x1 pvc enclosure, 65watt Pro Heat RHP, herpstat probe hanging ~4” beneath it set to 87°. Temps inside my exo terra hide are 86-87° on the animal in that hide. He moves cool side as he pleases.

My room is 78-82° in the summer with the vent mostly closed. Winter depends what I have the radiator set at and the other species I am keeping. He still does as he pleases, eats when he feels like it, and has done so for over 10yrs as of this summer.