Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,888

3 members and 2,885 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python in 120 gallon?

I have a 48 by 24 by 16 inch tank, it has the same floor space as a 120 gallon. Can I house my adult female in there? Is it too much? I can also house her in a 35 gallon. Will can I get those big heat mats?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    She'll be fine. The tank is only a little taller then a AP T8 48x24x12.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    That's a good size tank for a BP, but it can work.

I'm not sure where you live, but heating it and maintaining proper humidity may prove difficult. Heat mats aren't designed for ambient temps, they're just there to provide a hot spot. So you'll need additional heat sources if you don't live somewhere warm year round. That will make humidity control much more difficult.

I personally wouldn't waste the space or the electricity if it were me.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you? Yes, the question is can you provide the right husbandry in something that big, and that is gonna be the real question.

Glass is the worst material when it comes to keeping animals that require a certain amount of heat and level of humidity.

A PVC cage would be a lot better.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (07-15-2020)

Thanks

Re: Ball python in 120 gallon?

I will do some test, if it doesn’t work, then I will use the 35 gallon tub.i live in Canada and during the winter temp in my house is 68.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
    I will do some test, if it doesn’t work, then I will use the 35 gallon tub.i live in Canada and during the winter temp in my house is 68.
    Oh jeez, it would be a nightmare come winter. Keeping a 40 breeder in New England requires extra effort and enclosure modifications come winter. For the money it would cost to heat the thing you could save up for a PVC enclosure.
    I'd personally try to sell the enclosure and put that towards PVC too.

I used glass for many years, still do with a few smaller enclosures, but switching to PVC was a game changer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-15-2020)

Thanks

If you've got an adult, 35 gallons is acceptable if you have no other options, but it's too small. Keep her in the 120 gallon.

That's the size I want to upgrade my female to eventually. I've had tons of success with tanks that size in the past, but as others have said, glass can be finicky.

In my opinion, though, the aesthetics are worth the small amount of extra work.

Heat mat size is somewhat subjective, I've found. You want to provide a hot spot at least as big as she is when she's curled up. But not so big that she can't get off of it without having to go to the cool side.

But for the love of all that is holy, thermostats are your best friend. Those tanks are expensive and unregulated heat mats can overheat and crack that glass before you even realize what's happening (which I learned the hard way. Replacing my retic's tank was not fun).

My husband keeps our house between 71 and 75, so I need to provide more ambient heat than the heat mat. And that can cause problems, too. But I think it'll be easier to manage in Canada than in the desert where I live.

But CHEs dry the air out. So you've got to make sure most of the top of your tank is covered, and monitor the humidity carefully. If you live in a more humid area, just spraying the inside walls of the tank once a day might be all you need. I spray twice a day, and that's enough to keep my humidity hovering around 40-45%.

Or, one of the biggest benefits of a large tank, you can create a humidity box on the warm side of the tank, beside her regular hide. I've had incredible success with humidity boxes, even when I've struggled to keep the ambient tank humidity up. And (since I'm a sucker for aesthetics) in a larger tank, you have room for a beautiful, naturalistic-looking humidity box alongside the regular warm hide.

And with larger glass tanks, it does take some trial and error with the CHE thermostat to get the ambient temp right.

Glass doesn't hold heat like other materials, so you have to take that into consideration. You want to go with the largest size CHE that is reasonable for the tank size, and keep the thermostat lower, as opposed to a smaller, more concentrated CHE set at a higher temperature. You want the heat from the CHE to be spread over a larger area instead of concentrated in one spot.

That should also help keep your cool side in the correct range, but if it doesn't, you may want to go with a second UTH for the cool side and set it to 78 or so. I've never had to do that, but I also live in a warmer climate, so that might make a difference.

Also make sure you give her some fake plants or branches or twigs, etc. So she still feels like she has cover when she moves around her tank (also, it looks better). I just use fake plants from the dollar store (make sure you wash everything before putting it in the tank) and my female is very happy with those. I change them out every few weeks, and every time I do, she loves coming out and exploring her new digs. It's super cute to watch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ApathyAngel; 07-15-2020 at 04:54 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ApathyAngel For This Useful Post:

Philip Dysel (07-22-2020)

Thanks

Thanks, I will move her in once it’s set up. What bedding should I use for that sized tank? Don’t want it to be too expensive. I am using paper towel right now.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
    Thanks, I will move her in once it’s set up. What bedding should I use for that sized tank? Don’t want it to be too expensive. I am using paper towel right now.
    Just keep I mind, you're literally only weeks from fall and winter will be right behind it. I honestly think you're wasting your time. But it sounds like you've got your mind made up.

I started using glass about 20 years ago, and upgraded for a reason. Heating that enclosure is going to be a nightmare, humidity will be a nightmare and your electric bill is gonna skyrocket. Deb from Stewart Reptiles is also extremely experienced and one of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby, as well as a successful breeder.

Just saying....

Thanks

If it work then I will use it but It doesn’t, then I wii just have to keep her in the 35 gallon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast