Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,710

0 members and 2,710 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

BP - Thoughts On Selling

Apologize if this is in the wrong forum so please delete If so. I’ve been considering the possibility of selling my 1st and only Ball Python which is a male 3 year old Candino produced by Garrick DeMeyer at Royal Constrictor Designs. There’s a lot of sentimental value here but I’ve gotten to the point where I’d like to make room for something else such as another BOA or possibly a Carpet Python.

So my question, if in fact I decide to sell, what is the best avenue to advertise? My #1 concern is finding a good home which has me second guessing something like Craigslist. I also have no experience with shipping animals and the thought of putting him in a sealed box doesn’t give me the best feeling. I guess the ideal scenario would be finding someone local who I felt was responsible enough to care for him.

Also, any idea how to price? It may be that I just decide to keep him due to sentimental reasons but this has been something I’ve been thinking about for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: BP - Thoughts On Selling

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Apologize if this is in the wrong forum so please delete If so. I’ve been considering the possibility of selling my 1st and only Ball Python which is a male 3 year old Candino produced by Garrick DeMeyer at Royal Constrictor Designs. There’s a lot of sentimental value here but I’ve gotten to the point where I’d like to make room for something else such as another BOA or possibly a Carpet Python.

So my question, if in fact I decide to sell, what is the best avenue to advertise? My #1 concern is finding a good home which has me second guessing something like Craigslist. I also have no experience with shipping animals and the thought of putting him in a sealed box doesn’t give me the best feeling. I guess the ideal scenario would be finding someone local who I felt was responsible enough to care for him.

Also, any idea how to price? It may be that I just decide to keep him due to sentimental reasons but this has been something I’ve been thinking about for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For pricing I usually look on morph market to see how much they are selling for on there and use it as a guideline. Try posting on FB ball python re homing groups. That's a beautiful bp and in sure someone will want him

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexiel03 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexiel03 View Post
    For pricing I usually look on morph market to see how much they are selling for on there and use it as a guideline. Try posting on FB ball python re homing groups. That's a beautiful bp and in sure someone will want him

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the kind words and suggestions.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Alexiel03 (07-14-2020)

Thanks
    This may just be me, but I personally won't part with an animal if I'm having any doubts... which is biting me in the rear-end lol! I had planned on trading several of my snakes for different morphs, but I have an awful habit of getting attached as soon as I name them. But I digress...!

If you do go to rehome him-- I usually look at reptile groups on FB for pricing needs. Look for groups specific to your state.
    0.1 Normal [Artemis]
    0.1 Super Pastel [Persephone]
    1.0 Pastave [Chronos]
    1.0 Blizzard Leopard Gecko [Dimitri]
    1.1 Cats [Jesse McCree, Addison Sheppard]

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tytysi For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-14-2020),Luvyna (07-15-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    List it in the classifieds for local pickup. Somebody here will want him. You could take him to a Rep show an trade or sell.

I say keep him for now. Get the other snakes an if they don't overtake his spot for you, you'll still have him.

I've never sold a snake, but I've started many a family/adult/kid down the ownership road. Something to think about.

Good luck!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-14-2020),Luvyna (07-15-2020)

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions. I just joined several of the FB re-homing groups which I didn't know existed until today. I may or may not go through with it but I can guarantee you I won't get rid of him to just anyone. I need to feel 100% comfortable that he'll be going to a good home. I would be devastated knowing he went to someone without the proper husbandry and essentials to raise him.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2020)

Thanks
    What a gorgeous Candino boy, he has some beautiful colours and amazing blushing. I don't think I would be able to part with him if he was mine! My vote would be to keep him, ball pythons don't take up much space, but otherwise the suggestions others have made are good and I'm glad that you would be very careful about finding a good home for him if you do decide to let him go. I hope you would be able to find someone local as well so he doesn't have to go through being shipped.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

If you have doubts and might regret it, I wouldn't re-home him. However, if you aren't into him anymore, and are going to (eventually) resent caring for him for his life, you should re-home him.

It sounds like if you decide to re-home him, you are going to find a good home, and that's the most important thing for both him and for you long-term.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-15-2020),Luvyna (07-15-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    If you have doubts and might regret it, I wouldn't re-home him. However, if you aren't into him anymore, and are going to (eventually) resent caring for him for his life, you should re-home him.

It sounds like if you decide to re-home him, you are going to find a good home, and that's the most important thing for both him and for you long-term.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    I'm not in a hurry but it's definitely something that's crossed my mind several times in the last year. The biggest factor for me is that I'm really frustrated with the 'feeding issues' that some / a lot of keepers have with Ball Pythons. I've thrown more feeders away in the last year then I've fed to him. Plus I never get a chance to see him unless I sneak down to the basement late at night.

So right now, if I do decide to re-home, I don't see myself shipping and I definitely will have a list of questions and requirements to the 'local' potential new owner.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2020),EL-Ziggy (07-16-2020)