Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 518

1 members and 517 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Olin- 2020 Colombian Boa Thread

The long branch was actually custom made with the cage. As far as I can tell, it's actually a giant PVC Pipe that someone maybe heated up and bent before painting and sealing it... ? You can see the two I got the cage secondhand, but I know the makers on facebook. They're local to my area.

https://m.facebook.com/AquaticOak/ph...&mt_nav=0&_rdr

Here is the facebook page. I do believe they ship their cages as well, though the wait time is pretty long. Maybe they can make the branches and ship them specifically? It can come out.

Thank you for the compliment C: I'm really happy how the cage turned out. My handsome boy blends in quite nicely.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikknu For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-26-2020),richardhind1972 (07-26-2020)

Thanks

Beautiful boy!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (07-26-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

The viv looks awsome.
    He may be a bit stressed from all the new things being changed in his home, I'm sure he'll settle back down once you've finished
    Looks like he's enjoying all the new furniture tho

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (07-26-2020)

Thanks
    Whoo. Another wonderful week with Olin, and his first real handling session with me this week! It's just a few days short of him having been home with me for a full month. I had a rare sunny day and briefly took him outside the door for a quick pic too.

Here's a pic of him taking his first hopper. He absolutely horked it down, I think it took less than 2 or 3 minutes before it was gone. I was pretty impressed. He has left me two nicely sized presents at this point, so I'm happy with how he's feeding and processing. They can actually be a bit hard to find though... His poops are pretty small for an 8 sq. ft enclosure.

When I stopped by the place where I get my feeders, the wife of the breeder I got Olin from was there and we exchanged pleasantries. She about gave me a heart attack saying Olin would get 15-20 feet, but I think she meant weight, not length.

He totally adores his aerial hide. Being so small, I don't think he's too comfortable with not being in a hide except at night or when he's digesting. From where I'm sitting at my desk I can juuuust barely see his nose poking out right now. I got a zoomed in picture of him. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll catch him moving from one side of the viv to the other. I've been thinking about adding springtails, but I'm not sure how well they'd do with reptichip as substrate and live moss being the only plants.

Still no hissing and no defensive behaviour around me. Not even when I take him out of his cage. Granted, I'm already using tap training so that's probably a good sign. He's a pretty curious dude. I gave him a weigh while I had him out as well. He's 111g now, about 10g more than when I first got him.

Here's him out in the sunlight! I have a daylight bulb for my crested gecko, but it doesn't look quite the same. I adore the pale browns of boa babies. I can't wait to see him darken up as he gets older.

I especially love how some of his darker browns are lined by black. You can really see it in the stripe leading up towards his eye.

Here's him under the daylight bulb! I really do adore this little guy. I noticed this week that in the beginning rows of his back pattern he also has more of a }{ design instead of the () pattern later on him. I think that's super cool, personally. I tried my best to get some good pictures of that feature of him.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikknu For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-14-2020),richardhind1972 (08-04-2020)

Thanks

He's a really good looking Boa! Sounds like you're doing all the right things which is going to payoff in his health and handle-ability.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (08-03-2020)

Thanks
    Well, it's been a while.

Unfortunately, I been away from my home for nearly 5 days due to a medical situation involving barotrauma. This has unfortunately hit me kinda hard, and I'm pretty drained from being in consistent pain. It brought me a lot of joy to get back home and see my handsome scaley sons again. And, I was happy to discover that my beautiful boy is in blue! He's hunkered down in the hottest and most humid area of the whole viv, right by the dripper that keeps his overall humidity up. He has a hide full of moss right next to his CHE I spray frequently as well in case he wants it. About what humidity level should I keep the overall viv while he's in blue?

A small update from a week ago is that Olin ate just fine, but he did miss the mouse and instead bit himself! He didn't actually hurt himself, but what he did do was explode the mouse's stomach... It was pretty gross. I haven't fed him yet today, but I'm not sure he'll tale it. His activity levels are very low, and Olin seems pretty content just to chill in his warm hide. I can't believe he fits in it... He takes up the whole thing. It's a small pangea box hide.

Here are a few pictures from before my medical hiatus. I don't have many. Now that he's in blue, I probably won't get to hold him for a little while longer than I was expecting.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mikknu For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-14-2020),dakski (08-14-2020),Gio (08-25-2020),richardhind1972 (08-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Feel better soon!

He's looking good.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (08-14-2020)

Thanks
    Hello everyone! I'm feeling much better, and have pretty much recovered from my medical issue at this point. Just in time as well, as I have a 2 week trip starting this Sunday.

Olin's first shed went completely perfectly! He did crumple it up into a little ball though, sadly. I was hoping to keep it to compare it to later. He is currently 131g. As of the last few hours, I've had the pleasure of seeing him hunting It makes me happy to know that the feeding schedule he's on is working for him. For my two week vacation he's going to be in reptile daycare with the breeder I got him from, along with my crested gecko Quincy. I'm most likely going to feed Olin tomorrow since I've seen him hunting now, so that he will be 96 hours post feeding before I make the drive to take him over to them. It isn't too long, but the only other time he's been in a cup was on his way home the first time. A picture of him exploring below!

Here are a few pictures about a day post shed! He's gained some wonderful rainbow hues to him, though he isn't anything super shiny. The best I can notice is that his darks seem darker, but if anyone else notices something new let me know!

He has a ton of speckling near his tail. I really enjoy it. However, I took the following two pictures less than 12 hours apart. He is very clearly far more speckled and a lot darker and grey in the second picture, with a lateral stripe. What does this mean? Is he too cold? I've measured the temps all over his viv, including in his aerial hide where he spends most of his time, and they're all within acceptable ranges and exactly where I want them to be for the most part. He hadn't been out for long in either picture, and I was sitting in the exact same spot with the exact same lights on. Is it stress?

The colour change is cool and all, but I'm worried it means something bad. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid about it however.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikknu For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-25-2020),Gio (08-25-2020),Reinz (08-25-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Glad you feeling better. He's looking great, boas have light and dark phases sometimes extreme, I posted some pics of my leopard in his light and dark phases the other day, it's perfectly normal.

If you moisten the rolled up shed you should be to unroll it, most of my boas leave it in a nice coiled up present

Enjoy your holiday (vacation)

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 08-25-2020 at 04:03 AM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

cincy (08-25-2020),Gio (08-25-2020),Jboyzboas (08-25-2020),Mikknu (08-25-2020),Reinz (08-25-2020)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234