Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

3 members and 2,807 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    I forgot to post these pics! I was testing out areas to put my new PVC using some old 4×1 strips of pegboard, so I let him explore some new decor he'll be getting! My room is pretty full and I'm going to be housing my mum's koi fish from her pond in a few months, so I'm running tight on space >~<. I'm setting the cage up on a chest for now I think, but I'll probably be doing some room remodeling and getting a table to put the PVC on...

A straight up model. He isn't very iridescent, but he has this wonderful peachy-pink running down his sides I'm completely enamoured with. No matter what I do though, it just won't show up on camera! He's so light compared to some older boas I've seen, with those beautiful browns and blacks.

He's been nothing but wonderful for me so far. Even taking him out of his enclosure with the hook, he hasn't hissed once. He is particularly resistant against going back into his home however xD

He was last fed 07/10, so I'm thinking I should wait until 07/20 to feed him? Or until he starts hunting at night? I see a lot of people recommend 10-14 day feeding schedules for boas, but I'm not sure if there's an age you're supposed to transition for that. After exploring the first night I put him in, he mostly just sleeps in one of 3 places. While I'm watching at least xD

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Olin- 2020 Colombian Boa Thread

Looking great,
    It really is hard to capture them pink sides even the face blushing in there dark and light phases

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (07-16-2020)

Thanks
    I know right?? I cant wait to see him outside, I'll be sure to get some pictures if it ever gets sunny out here! It's been kinda gross and rainy out by me for a while now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikknu For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Your temps sound good to me. I keep a similar hot spot of 88-90 and my ambient temps run between 75-80. I like 7-10 day feeding intervals for the 1st year, 10-14 days the 2nd year, and every 2-4 weeks thereafter.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (07-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you!

In the enclosure, his temps are currently 76 on the cool side, 82 on the hot side, and with a hot spot of 89. Humidity is 75%, which is higher than I'd like it to be, but I live in an extremely humid place and it's difficult to get humidity into the low 60s here. I'm considering getting a dehumidifier to help with keeping some of that humidity down.

All going well, I'm hoping to move Olin in tomorrow. If he seems pretty active, I'll try and feed him tomorrow too then, since it will have been 7 days since his last meal.

My IR temp gun comes tomorrow too. Exciting! I'll have to try it out with my geckos too, xD

Thanks
    Not the highest quality, my phone isn't super great... But! The left and right side respectively of the enclosure! At least, for the 30 seconds my combometers stayed up! They're not suction cupping at all, which is mildly annoying. Does anyone have suggestions for something I could use to get them to stay where I want them?

He has 2 pangae box hides, 1 normal rock hide, one snake lair hide, 2 cork logs, and those massive sea grape leaves that I think he'll fit under. However, Olin seems to be a particularly big fan of napping and relaxing high up, so I'm expecting a beeline for the branch in the middle!

His temps are doing good (WAY better than before), ambients included! As long as the cage doors are shut, that is xD Once his IR Temp Gun comes in this evening and I verify that everything is ship shape, He'll get to explore his new kingdom

If all goes well, I'll try to feed him today as well. I saw him cruising around his 10 gallon last night way more than normal. I think he was hunting.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikknu For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-14-2020),richardhind1972 (07-17-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

The viv looks awsome, plenty of places to relax and explore

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (07-17-2020)

Thanks
    He's in! And had a baller time exploring too, he was really going everywhere. Made a beeline straight for the branch, as expected. He reached all the way to the highest point! I didn't expect him to be able to go straight up like that xD

Olin took his rat pups like a champ too! As you guys said, he barely cared at all. He had a little bit of difficulty actually grabbing them, but had zero hesitation about striking them! Ate them both butt first too...

I do have one question- I've heard it's better to feed one prey item rather than two, but the breeder had him on a 2 rat pup cycle and I wanted to stick with it at least for my first feeding. I'll be going to pick up more frozen feeders tomorrow, and figuring out what I want my feeding schedule to be. They left some sizeable lumps in him, so I'm thinking if I'm going to be feeding him this much, maybe I should only feed him every 10-14 days instead?

Here are some pictures of him exploring his new digs! I got his IR temp gun earlier today than I thought I would. His ambient on the cool side is 76 with a surface temp of 78 by his secondary heat pad, and his hot side ambient is 83 with hot spots of 87-89 depending on whether I'm right above the heat tape or right below the CHE. The middle is about 80-81 at surface temp, and the hot side non-hot spot is about 84. They've been stable around these areas for a while now, with the humidity on the cool side being about 62% and about 57% on the warm side. It was 80%+ yesterday and I'm glad it has gone down from that.

Pictures! Several of him exploring, and one of him basking after eating. Again, I apologise for the relatively low quality.

He has since buried himself in the substrate to digest I'm assuming. It was funny to watch him bury himself.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikknu For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I like the cage clutter and the perches.

Looking good!

Enjoy that boa.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (07-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Olin- 2020 Colombian Boa Thread

[/QUOTE]“ I do have one question- I've heard it's better to feed one prey item rather than two, but the breeder had him on a 2 rat pup cycle and I wanted to stick with it at least for my first feeding. I'll be going to pick up more frozen feeders tomorrow, and figuring out what I want my feeding schedule to be. They left some sizeable lumps in him, so I'm thinking if I'm going to be feeding him this much, maybe I should only feed him every 10-14 days instead? “ [/QUOTE]

Honestly with boas you don’t want the prey to leave a big bump at all. If it left as big a bump as you’ve described I’d back off of food a little.

Mine are two years old and eating weaned rats every 10-14 days and both of my boas are over 500grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-17-2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Really jacked up the quoting of the OP somehow

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-14-2020),Mikknu (07-18-2020),RickyNY (07-26-2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast