Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,883

2 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Blue Tongued Skinks

I have recently started to research information on Blue Tongues - and I am seriously considering getting one as my next lizard. I am definitely looking to get a CBB, or farm raised if possible.

The species or localities I am considering are the following --

- Irian Jaya
    - Northern
    - Halmahera/Indonesian
    - Merauke

I would love to hear some personal experiences in keeping them.
    Snakes
    1.0 Pure Hog Island Boas (Boa imperator) - "Boss"
    0.1 Tamaulipas Cloud Forest Boa (Boa imperator) - "Elena"
    0.1 Ivory/Super YB Ball Python (Python regius) - "Ivory"
    1.1 Cape York Spotted Python (Antaresia maculosa) - "Irwin & Iris"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Acrantophis dumerili) - "Lysse"
    1.0 75% Super Dwarf Retic (Malayopython reticulatus) - "Kal"

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor
    (Varanus acanthurus) - "Gigi"

Thanks

Re: Blue Tongued Skinks

I know there are a few members on here that keep them. One person that comes to mine is dakski. I'm sure he will chime. I have always been interested in these critters.
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I am partial to Northerns. I have one, Frank. They get bigger, have a really nice temperament, and lower humidity requirements than some others. They are also easier to find CBB.

Ask anything and I am happy to answer. The more space you can give, the better, as they will use it! They are quite active except in the winter when they usually brumate.

There is a debate about whether they need UV, but they do need relatively high temps - 95F +/- basking temps and I think they benefit from UVB and I give it and Frank basks often. They like to dig so substrate that allows this is good. Having said that, I use paper substrate but I ball up sheets he can dig in and provide several hides in different temperature zones.

They are very personable, learn who their keeper(s) are, and even beg for food.

Finally, diet should vary, but aim for 40% veggies, 10% fruit, and 50% protein. Frank will eat basically anything, but remember, they are scavengers, so food in a bowl works fine and it doesn't have to be live. Also, you will have to cut his/her nails periodically (not like a monitor - they are ground dwellers and in captivity often do not dig enough to wear them down - they don't need the nails long).

I am putting the link to Frank's thread below.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...e-Tongue-Skink

Again feel free to ask anything.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have a Merauke, captive born. Easterns including Merauke are commonly sold wild caught, but some breeders are working on them. Merauke is the longest BTS within this family, with mine grown to about 20" more or less.

They are from parts of Indonesia and other parts of Asia where humidity is high. In light of this, an average humidity of 50-70% is fine, and bump it up for sheds. Eco earth works great, cypress is a good option too.

Large skinks like this means the more floor space you can provide, the better. A 40 gallon breeder will be quickly outgrown. Babies grow fast, so you will need to start looking for an upgrade at around 6 month of age. For my skink, I purchased a used frag tank (Deep Blue brand) for about $300 that is 4 feet long, 2 feet deep and about 20" high. These are not bearded dragons, so while height is not a concern, some height is recommended because of the safety distance between the lights and to add climbing decor. Width or depth is important because of how bulky their tail is (they like to make large U-turns). When he turns, his tail would hit the glass if the width is less than 18", which is common in aquarium 55 gallon tanks, thus I don't recommend these tanks for this species. Some keepers of this subspecies even recommends building your own enclosure or find something about 6 feet long. Again, the more space you offer, the more it will be used.

Glass tanks or tanks where visibility from the inside out is preferred. They are intelligent animals, constantly observing what is going on outside. They will explore and check things out, so adding and removing items for stimulation inside the enclosure is a plus. I use cardboard boxes that come with the canned cat food. Homer would fall asleep on top of it if the substrate is too wet after a cleaning, or sleeping under it when the substrate is to his liking. I also use river pebbles, fake grass, fake plants, extra large PVC pipes, etc. There is no limit to their curiosity.

Temps at around 95 is fine. I don't go higher than that.

UVB lighting is a hotly debated topic for BTS in general. I would recommend using them. A Reptisun 5.0 T5 HO if placed on top of a mesh lid, and Reptisun 10.0 T8 for inside the enclosure or wide gapped mesh lid (if making your own).

Supplement with D3 and multivitamin, how much depends on age. Feeding is easy. Babies should eat every other day. Adults only need to eat once or twice a week depending on size and health. They love to eat, so they will beg. You will know your lizard is not hungry by the way it picks at its meal, eating what it wants and spitting out the rest. I mix canned dog food with veggies, fruits and live worms. I like Merrick and Blue Buffalo Chicken and Garden for its ingredients.

In summary, if you have the space, and the funds, they are a great addition to have.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I have heard that Meraukes tend to be the largest species/localities of BTS - reaching 26-30".

I have seen several BTS care guides videos on Youtube - so I am aware of the basics. Northern & most Australian species tend to prefer humidity levels similar to normal house levels (35-50% range), while the Indonesian localities all seem to prefer humidity in the 60-80% range.

In terms of caging - I am thinking either using my 40 gallon terrarium (36"x18"x16") - If I get a juvenile - then upgrading to the cage once the BTS reaches a year old. If I get a yearling or a subadult - then I will like go with a custom built 4'x2' PVC cage.
    Snakes

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here is my Homer, who climbs whenever he feels like it (rarely - he is lazy).

They are hardy animals, so whatever you choose, as long as you are willing to give them what they need, they are good to go.

One thing that stands out for Merauke vs other Eastern species is their belly color. They mature with beautiful pinkish bellies (some brighter than others). Besides being the longest, this is what makes them unique.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Wow - it is great to know that they can climb.

While there are several species/localities that I like. I am leaning more toward to the Irian Jayas. As they seem to be a natural blend of many gigas & scincoides traits.
    Snakes

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor

Thanks
    I have been recently watching many of BTS videos from Reptile Mountain TV, and generally find them to be quite informative. I wonder what are your general opinions on those videos and how they relate to BTS care?

Also are there any other good video on BTS care which you can recommend?
    Snakes

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    I have been recently watching many of BTS videos from Reptile Mountain TV, and generally find them to be quite informative. I wonder what are your general opinions on those videos and how they relate to BTS care?

Also are there any other good video on BTS care which you can recommend?
    I use the blue tongue skink dot net caresheet. Very informative, straight forward and there is a forum just for BTS keepers, with subtopics separated by species and subspecies.

Reptile Mountain is not bad.

I'm not a fan in keeping them in tubs for pet keepers, like BHB has a vid about it. So any vids imo saying that BTS would thrive in tubs, is nonsense to me because of their personality.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 07-19-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    I'm not a fan in keeping them in tubs for pet keepers, like BHB has a vid about it. So any vids imo saying that BTS would thrive in tubs, is nonsense to me because of their personality.
    I am not a fan of keeping them in tubs either. And I seen some videos saying that you can keep a BTS in a 41 quart(FB-70,V-70,CB-70) tub, which I think is nothing but total crap. Imo rack systems are best for ground snakes which prefer belly heat, but are no good for basking lizards. I realize that many breeders often want to keep the maximum number of animals in the minimum amount of space. But imo anytime you are breeding animals, you should do more than just meet the animal's basic needs.

Why wouldn't make more sense to get a 4' long x 2' wide x 6' tall storage(5 shelf) rack from Lowes' or Home Depot. And custom build 5 PVC or Melamine cages, which are about 46-47" long x 23" wide x 12-14" tall - to keep 5 BTS in, instead of using a rack system. As it would certainly give them be more floor space(7.3 sq. ft. vs 4.0 sq. ft.), double the height, and likely more enrichment in their cages.
    Snakes

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Krj2501 For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-21-2020)