Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,773

1 members and 2,772 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels

Thread: Vomiting BP?

Thanks

Vomiting BP?

Hello, it seems like my BP has been vomiting? It's not regurgitation I don't think because it looks digested. When I found out he has been, I waited a week to feed him again and then made sure his temps were good and everything. He goes to each side, warm and cool whenever he needs and after a meal he will chill in the warm side in his hide. He is 260 grams, and I feed him rat fuzzys. I wait at least 2 days after he eats to handle him just to make sure he has enough time to digest. I'm not sure if this is anything but he's about 8 or 9 months old.
    (I say about because the reptile place I got him from told me he was 3-4 months old. I got him in February this year.)
    (Temp on warm side is 80-87 and humidity is 40-50%, I try to keep it up higher but it's difficult. I have plexiglass covering 3/4 of the screen top as well.)

I should note, the "vomit" looks like a brownish black clump. I can take a picture possibly, but there is bedding stuck to it that maybe dried on it when he vomited it up.
    Last edited by kitt3n; 07-12-2020 at 12:26 AM.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    If you think he has regurged a meal, do not feed him again for several weeks, a month or more probably. Otherwise you are adding stress to an already stressed system and it's likely he will regurge again. It's very hard on snakes. He may be doing that because your temps aren't stable, if it's not warm enough for him to digest properly, another reason to not feed until you have that under control. How are you heating your setup? Is there a thermostat in use? Can we get a picture? Are you judging temps with a temp gun or thermometer or how?

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Vomiting BP?

Quote Originally Posted by kitt3n View Post
    Hello, it seems like my BP has been vomiting? It's not regurgitation I don't think because it looks digested. When I found out he has been, I waited a week to feed him again and then made sure his temps were good and everything. He goes to each side, warm and cool whenever he needs and after a meal he will chill in the warm side in his hide. He is 260 grams, and I feed him rat fuzzys. I wait at least 2 days after he eats to handle him just to make sure he has enough time to digest. I'm not sure if this is anything but he's about 8 or 9 months old.
    (I say about because the reptile place I got him from told me he was 3-4 months old. I got him in February this year.)
    (Temp on warm side is 80-87 and humidity is 40-50%, I try to keep it up higher but it's difficult. I have plexiglass covering 3/4 of the screen top as well.)

I should note, the "vomit" looks like a brownish black clump. I can take a picture possibly, but there is bedding stuck to it that maybe dried on it when he vomited it up.
    I'm not convinced that this is "vomit" and a picture might not help much...what does it SMELL like???

IF it's vomit and it's brownish-black, your snake likely has internal bleeding...you need a vet's help a.s.a.p.!

If it's loose (unformed) stool, that is fairly normal for a snake that's just eating rat fuzzies.

Does it smell like feces? Or does it smell putrid (& makes YOU want to hurl) like vomit? My computer is not "scratch & sniff", so even a photo won't help much...we need more input.

Did you see or hear him vomit? It sounds like you're just assuming...and it's very rare for a snake to vomit.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-12-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Sounds like poop
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor