Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,329

0 members and 1,329 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Adult ball python suddenly hissing

Hello! We've had one of our male ball pythons for about 6 years (he's around nine), always in the same rack system, no changes. He's always been really easy going and actually the one we use in educational shows for folks to touch.

Picking him up out of the tub 2 nights ago he hissed every time (3 times) we touched him. Finally threw a towel over him to get him out and check him over. He acted normally once he picked him up. He seemed fine, except in shed, but he's been out of his tub before briefly while in shed many times for cleanings.

The only two things I could think of were, first, we usually don't get them out in the evening. The second is there was a storm coming in I was unaware of, but thunder cracked loudly shortly after we got him out.
    Edit - just thought of something else - here in Michigan we were having a heatwave, probably mid 90's in here with no air-conditioning.

Could this just be a fluke thing or since it's so out of his normal behaviour should I be concerned for him healthwise? Thanks for reading this, and any advice.
    Last edited by snakemother; 07-11-2020 at 05:23 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Adult ball python suddenly hissing

Quote Originally Posted by snakemother View Post
    Edit - just thought of something else - here in Michigan we were having a heatwave, probably mid 90's in here with no air-conditioning.
    Mid 90's can easily heat stroke or even kill your ball python: Him being irritable under these conditions would be the least of my concerns.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Yeah, if the ambient temp is a constant mid 90's and he doesn't have a spot somewhere to cool down, that's dangerous. Ball pythons being a tropical species have a higher tolerance for that than some others, but that's not safe at all.

Behavior-wise, I've heard of snakes becoming defensive in hot unsuitable temperatures, so that would also explain it.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-11-2020 at 06:11 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you guys - luckily the heat has broken here and the house is in the mid eighties now. I'm going to pay more attention to the heat in the snake room from now on - it's in the basement so a couple degrees lower than the house temps, so was probably low nineties last week. I have a thermostat on the rack to be sure it stays warm enough in the winter, but guess I need find a way to bring temps down on unusually hot days. Thanks so much for your imput!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snakemother View Post
    Thank you guys - luckily the heat has broken here and the house is in the mid eighties now. I'm going to pay more attention to the heat in the snake room from now on - it's in the basement so a couple degrees lower than the house temps, so was probably low nineties last week. I have a thermostat on the rack to be sure it stays warm enough in the winter, but guess I need find a way to bring temps down on unusually hot days. Thanks so much for your imput!
    If your "snake room" is staying 88* or above, I'd turn off their supplemental heat (of whatever kind you're using) for sure.

Over heating a snake can make them cranky, sure, but can also cause neurological damage (permanently) or even death.

If nothing else, put a big closed container (like a capped plastic jug- for safety in case your snake knocks it over) of cold water in the cage to bring down the temps.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Also the fact he is in shed and cannot see as well as normal may make him defensive - hissing would be fairly normal at that point.

I'm glad the temps broke though.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (07-12-2020)