Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,393

1 members and 2,392 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Defensive position?

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to whether this is a defensive pose? Will he strike from this position?

If he does bite, will a bit from a ball python this size hurt?

Added pics in the link, not sure why its not letting me add them in this post.

Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...z5?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Basquet Ball Python; 07-10-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

Re: Defensive position?

Edit: Here is a different link to the photos since that last one doesn't seem to be working.

https://imgur.com/a/zedO9u6

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    He looks like he might be preparing to strike food LOL, or striking position yes. I wouldn't say it's defensive, because he isn't hiding back into his hole... very likely expecting food.

You can easily overcome a defensive position with a little ball python by placing your palm straight down over his head, from above and not approaching him from the front, and then picking him up.
    For a feeding response behavior like this one, you can just tap and tickle him a little on the head and neck with a rolled paper towel until he realizes there's no food and returns to his hide. Then you can pick up the hide and scoop him up.

A bite from a ball python that size feels like almost nothing.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-10-2020 at 06:05 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Basquet Ball Python (07-10-2020),Bogertophis (07-10-2020),Craiga 01453 (07-11-2020),jmcrook (07-10-2020),Luvyna (07-10-2020)

Thanks

Thanks so much for the info! I also thought he kinda looked hungry but he ate a small mouse 3 days ago so I’m not sure how he could be already lol

Thanks

Agreed that he looks hungry, my BP always assumes that position when he'd expecting a meal Even though he's most likely not being defensive though you'll want to be careful about reaching in to the enclosure when he's like that as he might mistake your hand from food. Definitely follow Redshepard's advice if you do want to handle him when he's in that state.

Imo BP bites (especially young ones) are some of the least painful among all the common pets. Their teeth are like tiny, very sharp needles so they make very clean, tiny cuts and after you wash the cuts you can barely see or feel the injury. In a day you will not remember it's there. Getting scratched by a cat causes more damage than a BP could ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by Basquet Ball Python View Post
    Thanks so much for the info! I also thought he kinda looked hungry but he ate a small mouse 3 days ago so I’m not sure how he could be already lol
    Healthy growing BPs will be voracious eaters and never seem to be full (stick to a weekly feeding schedule though to avoid overfeeding). It's a great sign that he seems to be an eager feeder, the worst thing is to have a BP that refuses food.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Basquet Ball Python (07-10-2020),Bogertophis (07-10-2020)