Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,041

1 members and 3,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Heat Lamps for Snakes | THE TRUTH & Adding Adding Live Plants

Good morning,

I thought I would share these two videos I posted last week. I am slowly attempting to improve the care for the animals I keep. I have more animals than I can afford to care for optimally and my goal is to change that! In the first video I add proper lighting and heat to my JCP enclosure and the second video I add plants.

Adding Plants: https://youtu.be/TTG08Y9rBuU

If you take the time to watch, thank you!

Dillon

Thanks
    Snakes require certain temperature ranges to perform basic life functions (digestion/shed cycle/reproduction); nothing new to any seasoned keeper but the question is how would the snake choose to achieve that temperature if given the choice?

Over the last 40+ years of observing snakes in nature I've learned a few things and experimenting with direct lights in captivity confirms what is found in nature. -The vast majority of snakes use the sun when they have too...they prefer to reach necessary temperatures out of direct light when they are able.

The only thing emulating nature (impossible) with a 'designed' temperature zoned enclosure will do is force the snake to use what is offered to achieve the needed body temp. If you offer the proper temperatures out of the light you will see a different behavior.

Thanks

Re: Heat Lamps for Snakes | THE TRUTH & Adding Adding Live Plants

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    Snakes require certain temperature ranges to perform basic life functions (digestion/shed cycle/reproduction); nothing new to any seasoned keeper but the question is how would the snake choose to achieve that temperature if given the choice?

Over the last 40+ years of observing snakes in nature I've learned a few things and experimenting with direct lights in captivity confirms what is found in nature. -The vast majority of snakes use the sun when they have too...they prefer to reach necessary temperatures out of direct light when they are able.

The only thing emulating nature (impossible) with a 'designed' temperature zoned enclosure will do is force the snake to use what is offered to achieve the needed body temp. If you offer the proper temperatures out of the light you will see a different behavior.

Keep in mind— I am not necessarily referring to basking in direct, open sunlight (although my snake does tend to do that). The key with my video is that the heat we feel from the sun is comprised of infrared A & B wavelengths, heat mats/tape only produces infrared C wavelengths which carry much less energy. IRA and IRB penetrate deep into body tissue (organs, muscles, etc) and provide a healing effect and energy that IRC sources cannot. IRC wave do not make it through the dermis layer.

Halogen bulbs produce IRA and IRB, therefore provides the animal with a closer representation of the heat felt via sunlight. The animal does not have to bask openly under the bulb, any area that is warmed directly via the bulb (through radiation not conduction) will be surrounded by IRA/B waves and in turn bombard the reptiles body. For example, the snake could still choose to be in a hidden in thick, dark brush and still be exposed to IRA/B. Visually all IR wavelengths are invisible, so it's less about the light that the bulb produces and more about the type of heat it produces alongside the light.

And in this particular set up, the python does have a heat mat at the bottom of his enclosure in a dark hide so he still has the choice. Typically, this particular snake spends most of the day in his dark hide (which depending on the time of day has access to a heat mat) but climbs to the top around 5 PM most days to bask under the halogen/UVB until the lights turn out. Of course this is just an anecdotal example.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLNP View Post
    Keep in mind— I am not necessarily referring to basking in direct, open sunlight (although my snake does tend to do that). The key with my video is that the heat we feel from the sun is comprised of infrared A & B wavelengths, heat mats/tape only produces infrared C wavelengths which carry much less energy. IRA and IRB penetrate deep into body tissue (organs, muscles, etc) and provide a healing effect and energy that IRC sources cannot. IRC wave do not make it through the dermis layer.
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLNP View Post

Halogen bulbs produce IRA and IRB, therefore provides the animal with a closer representation of the heat felt via sunlight. The animal does not have to bask openly under the bulb, any area that is warmed directly via the bulb (through radiation not conduction) will be surrounded by IRA/B waves and in turn bombard the reptiles body. For example, the snake could still choose to be in a hidden in thick, dark brush and still be exposed to IRA/B. Visually all IR wavelengths are invisible, so it's less about the light that the bulb produces and more about the type of heat it produces alongside the light.

And in this particular set up, the python does have a heat mat at the bottom of his enclosure in a dark hide so he still has the choice. Typically, this particular snake spends most of the day in his dark hide (which depending on the time of day has access to a heat mat) but climbs to the top around 5 PM most days to bask under the halogen/UVB until the lights turn out. Of course this is just an anecdotal example.
    Here's the thing (and clearly you have put enough thought into this that my next statement is not something you have missed but I'll say it anyway)...The temperature 'received' or felt by the snake is not the same while hidden in thick, dark brush as it is while in direct light of the bulb...exposed to IRA/B or not (within the short distances of an enclosure). You can measure this with a ir thermometer or just feel it with your hand. Meaning, if the snake needs 'X' temperature it will use what is available.

Your set-up may be ideal for a carpet python. It makes perfect sense that a nocturnal snake would seek heat to elevate its temperature before going about the nightly routine. It does not, however, prove to be the python's choice unless the options were different. -More natural doesn't necessarily mean better.

I'm not trying to poo-poo on your project...on the contrary, I applaud your level of research and effort. I would be very interested if you recorded the temps your python achieved before lights out and the choices made within the stratification of heat within the enclosure. Of even greater interest to me would be replication of those temps without the use of lights to gauge reactions...not easy to do without being able to control the climate in the room and very time consuming. I did this during the late 90's and early 00's with boa constrictors by types of heat, light and placement of the those sources. Even so, (as you say) without total control the evidence is somewhat anecdotal but that combined with research and observation in the field convinced me most snakes prefer to avoid the light if they can.

Thanks

Re: Heat Lamps for Snakes | THE TRUTH & Adding Adding Live Plants

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post

Here's the thing (and clearly you have put enough thought into this that my next statement is not something you have missed but I'll say it anyway)...The temperature 'received' or felt by the snake is not the same while hidden in thick, dark brush as it is while in direct light of the bulb...exposed to IRA/B or not (within the short distances of an enclosure). You can measure this with a ir thermometer or just feel it with your hand. Meaning, if the snake needs 'X' temperature it will use what is available.

Your set-up may be ideal for a carpet python. It makes perfect sense that a nocturnal snake would seek heat to elevate its temperature before going about the nightly routine. It does not, however, prove to be the python's choice unless the options were different. -More natural doesn't necessarily mean better.

I'm not trying to poo-poo on your project...on the contrary, I applaud your level of research and effort. I would be very interested if you recorded the temps your python achieved before lights out and the choices made within the stratification of heat within the enclosure. Of even greater interest to me would be replication of those temps without the use of lights to gauge reactions...not easy to do without being able to control the climate in the room and very time consuming. I did this during the late 90's and early 00's with boa constrictors by types of heat, light and placement of the those sources. Even so, (as you say) without total control the evidence is somewhat anecdotal but that combined with research and observation in the field convinced me most snakes prefer to avoid the light if they can.
    Yep, I'll definitely keep and eye on his behaviors and take notes for sure! I think recording his temps is a great idea as well. Plus since I do still have a heat mat in a hide in this enclosure I can pay attention to choice as well. Thanks for the feedback and watching the video! If you are interested in a reptile related podcast definitely check us out: https://www.animalsathomenetwork.com/ It's a great to listen to while cleaning cages
    Last edited by DLLNP; 07-12-2020 at 08:42 AM.