Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,719

2 members and 2,717 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

What does 100% het pied 50% het albino mean?

Can someone explain it to me. What would you breed to get this outcome? I'm guessing a normal to pied het albino?

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: What does 100% het pied 50% het albino mean?

You would have to breed say a normal(could be anything) het pied and albino to produce visual pieds, albino or pied albino combos depends on what you breed. if not all the babies will just be all het for pied and albino
    Albino and pied are recessive genes so both parents need to be het for the gene to produce a visual

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It means you would create a wild-type looking clutch of eggs. The recessive genes (in this case, albino and pied) HAVE to match in both parents (whether they have 1 copy of that gene or 2) for any chance at producing those genes in a way you can see them.

This is an odd idea, but maybe it will help explain recessive genetics: Your car has 2 cupholders, and when both are full with a soda, your roof rack lights up for everyone to see. You could only have 1 soda in your cupholder, or no sodas in your cup holders, but then your roof rack would light up. The windows of the car are tinted, so from the outside, no one can tell how many sodas are in the cup holders, UNLESS the roof rack is lit up. Then you KNOW there are 2 sodas inside the car.

When 2 cars meet up (think-breed,) in this example 2 cars meeting will produce 1 baby car with tinted windows, a roof rack and 2 cup holders, just like each parent. If the parent cars have lit roof racks they will DEFINITELY each give one soda to the created baby car. And if both parents give a soda, both the 2 cupholders in the baby car will be filled, lighting up the baby car's roof rack.

If the parent cars only have 1 soda each, *maybe* they will give a soda each to the baby car, *maybe* they won't. The car flips a coin to decide whether to give up the soda.

See how the chances of the baby car having a lit roof rack are getting smaller? Both parent cars are flipping coins to *maybe* give up a soda. And that's where dealing with breeding baby cars with no lit up roof racks gets tricky. Because of there tinted windows, you can only breed them to find out how many sodas they have inside. Did either parent car win the coin toss and give up a soda? Only a lit roof rack baby car would prove it.

On the case of albino (Coke) and pied (Pepsi), think of being brand specific about the soda to light the roof rack. Pepsi and Coke in the cup holders? No lit roof rack, the sodas don't match.

I hope this helps somebody somewhere, even if it is obscure...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tila For This Useful Post:

Jaytay1015 (09-29-2020),Ronniex2 (11-14-2020)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eggroll5 View Post
    What would you breed to get this outcome? I'm guessing a normal to pied het albino?
    Yes
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eggroll5 View Post
    Can someone explain it to me. What would you breed to get this outcome? I'm guessing a normal to pied het albino?

Good answers thus far but I think I might catch where you are going with the question. I'll try and make it as simple as possible to achieve that outcome.

Example: Breed a VISUAL pied male that is also 100% HET for albino to a normal female. All offspring would be visually normal and be 100% HET for Pied because the sire was a visual pied and 50% HET for albino because the sire was not a visual albino, he was only HET for it.

Hope that helps!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

dr del (07-06-2020),Ronniex2 (11-14-2020)