Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

1 members and 2,815 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mom

Thanks

New mom

I'm a new bp mom. I have had my snake for about 1 1/2 months now. He ate the first time for me but has not since then. He just finished his 1st shed with me the other day but still refuses to eat. Hes around 3 to 5 months old, 17 inches long when I checked that. Not sure on weight at all. I had him in a 40 gallon tank but I had a feeling that it was maybe to big for refusing his food so know I have him in a 20 gallon tank. His cool side reads about 80 warm side is about 91. Have a heat pad under tank on warm side. Water dish is in the middle so he can decide. Humidity is also around 60. I am starting to become worried about him not eating anything I know they can go a long time but is this really normal for a juvenile. Please any advice to help me would be very helpful I don't want him to die on me. Thanks I would post pics but don't know how to yet

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: New mom

Welcome to the Ball Python club!

So, if I understand this correctly from your post: He ate the first time for you in the 40 gallon, then he refused, so you moved him to a 20 gallon? Moving a ball python into a new enclosure is a stressful event. At this point you don't want to move him again until he is eating so leave him where he is in the 20 gallon. If your heat sources are controlled by thermostat(s) then they will adjust the temps so conditions remain ideal and the snake should start eating if it has an adequate hide and feels comfortable. If your heating elements are controlled by rheostats or dimmers (or not at all) then it is possible your are missing temp. swings that are making the snake uncomfortable and refusing food.

Also as a new ball python owner do remember not to handle them (except to clean the enclosure) until they are on a reliable feeding schedule, and I recommend only attempting to feed the snake once/week (preferably late in the day).

Note: If this snake from Petco/Petsmart you might have another set of issues, but, lets try the easy stuff first.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 07-03-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kissgirl View Post
    I'm a new bp mom. I have had my snake for about 1 1/2 months now. He ate the first time for me but has not since then. He just finished his 1st shed with me the other day but still refuses to eat. Hes around 3 to 5 months old, 17 inches long when I checked that. Not sure on weight at all. I had him in a 40 gallon tank but I had a feeling that it was maybe to big for refusing his food so know I have him in a 20 gallon tank. His cool side reads about 80 warm side is about 91. Have a heat pad under tank on warm side. Water dish is in the middle so he can decide. Humidity is also around 60. I am starting to become worried about him not eating anything I know they can go a long time but is this really normal for a juvenile. Please any advice to help me would be very helpful I don't want him to die on me. Thanks I would post pics but don't know how to yet
    Welcome, welcome!

We'll definitely need some more deets. BPs refusing is almost always due to husbandry. Here are my questions:
    • Is the UTH regulated with a thermostat? If so, what is the temperature of the glass reading with IR gun? I see you noted 91 degrees for the warm side, but is this the temperature of the substrate or the glass?
    • What is the ambient temperature?
    • Does he have two identical hides on both sides?
    • Is there enough clutter for him to feel safe?
    • Are you feeding live or f/t and what size (also, invest in a cheap food scale from Amazon -- it'll make your life a lot easier)
    • How long exactly has it been since he last ate?

These answers will help us!
    Last edited by christineho; 07-03-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo

Thanks

No the uth pad does not have a thermostat with it.
    I have pics of the temps on both sides but cant figure out how to post them.
    Yes he has identical hides on both sides.
    Just his 2 hides and the water dish are what's in his tank.
    I'm feeding him f/t only
    His last meal was almost 3 wks ago

Thanks

Yes I moved him from the big tank to the little tank thinking the big tank was too big and that he felt insecure about eating in it that's why I moved him.
    Yes i have handled him a few times by taking him out.
    I have tried to feed him only 1x a wk since I got him.
    Yes my heat temps are controlled by thermostats on both sides
    Yes I did get him from Petco, but my daughter also got hers from there the same day same place and she has not had any issues with her snake at all we both have same enclosures now that I moved mine in the smaller tank.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    20 gallons is still too big and 91 is too hot.

10 gallons or a 6 quart tubs until the animal is at least 250 grams and temps of 88 on the warm side is what I would advise you.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-03-2020),jmcrook (07-03-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Your UTH must be on a thermomstat as well or you are going to end up with a badly burned or dead snake. Get a temp gun to check exact temps if you don't have one already.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks

Also please get a thermostat to regulate the temperatures... If the heat mat malfunctions or isn't controlled it can overheat and cause nasty burns to the snake. They aren't too expensive and they're worth the worry they save.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thank you

Thanks

So when he's in the new set up make sure to let him 'settle' for a few days.

Then when you feed try these tips:

*Feed at night, with as little light as possible (bps are nocturnal, they will prefer to eat at night)
    *Defrost the rodent in the same room to get the smell circulating
    *Then when ready to feed use a hairdryer to heat up the rodent, focusing on the head. Waft the smell into his enclosure. You want the head to be the hottest bit so that he naturally goes for it. Makes it easier for him to eat.
    *using tongs grip the rodent by the midsection, not the tail... Mice don't come from above hanging by tails in the wild so pretend to have it scoot around near him, acting like a rodent would.
    *Try to keep yourself as far away as possible - since bps can see heat you just appear as a big ball of heat and it could be making him too nervous to eat. Try stepping to the 'side' so that his main point of focus is the rodent.
    *If possible. Try to offer when he is poking his head slightly out of his hide. This is classic 'hunting' behaviour since they're watch and wait predators.
    *If he doesn't take it you can reheat with the hairdryer a few times. If no dice then leave the rodent overnight and remove in the morning if not taken.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Absololol For This Useful Post:

dr del (07-03-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast