Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,025

1 members and 3,024 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question My 28 year old ball python is acting more active than usual???

Hello, first post here.

Backstory: My BP snake, Sarah, is 28 years old! My dad got her for my brother when I was a baby and she has stayed with us ever since (brother did not want to take her with him when he moved). Although I grew up watching/holding her I never officially took care of her. Since COVID happened my dad moved out and I was left to care for her!! I discovered a new passion and joy in Sarah! Diving into research and finding that...maybe we didn't provide her with the best home. Although she has lived 28 years in roughly this set up and doesn't seen to have any issues, I want to strive for the best.

Climate: south east Michigan. Over the past month we have had 2 power outages, one lasting 3 days the second only 24 hours. Fortunately, it never really got below 70. and I put a blanket over her tank to keep heat in.

Current Habitat: Glass tank 36x18x12". Aspen bedding. Large water dish. One hide on the warm side. Heat lamp that alternates on a timer between red bulb and daylight (blue bulb).

Sarah: about 4 feet long, I haven't weighed her but I plan too. Eats live medium rat roughly every 10 days. (never any major issues with feeding injuries) she is very efficient. She last ate June 24th.

Question: She is normally in her half log hide and I make sure to check on her daily. Over the past week, she has been much more active. Poking her head out and even coming out 1/3-2/3rds of the way when I stop by to say hello. This is usually at night time. Its like she wants me to hold her...which I do about twice on the off feed weeks. She explored her cage like she wants to escape and it seems like her respiratory rate is faster than normal. No gurgling, bubbles, mucus. Regular urates and stools. Im a littler nervous because she is getting up there in age...is she just hungry? I might try feeding weekly since its summer time...but my dad has not feed her that often in years.

Question 2: Would it stress her out if I completely changed her habitat? for example: under the tank heat mat. Smaller water dish to make room for a second hide on the cool side.

Thank you for your input, I hope I was able to paint a clear picture.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    That sounds pretty normal, most snakes tend to move around at night and poke their heads out, remember all they really have to do is find food in life and that instinct doesn't change because they are captive kept. I don't know about your area but right now it's a heat wave here and that tends to get my snakes more active. Check to make sure your temps aren't getting too warm. She would adjust fine to a new habitat, no different than if you had just acquired her through a rehoming situation, as long as it's got what she needs she'll settle in.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

MkMakie (07-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Since you've been feeding her live rats, & I assume you don't raise them yourself (-?), I'd recommend getting her fresh stool checked for parasites by a qualified herp vet. It's entirely possible -since she feeds on live rats- that she has picked up internal parasites that are causing her more hunger (sharing meals with worms!) or some discomfort(that also might be evident by her moving around more). It may be nothing but since you asked, this is what I'd do...a fecal check shouldn't cost a lot, and if she needs a treatment, it's easy & not expensive. Congratulations on having a 28 year old snake! I hope you enjoy her for many more years to come. If for some reason there are no herp vets near you, FYI snakes can be safely de-wormed using Panacur (horse de-wormer).

Also, I favor adding UTH (regulated) & maybe keeping your heat lamp (dimmed as needed) for winter months (ie. use both sources of heat when needed). I don't think the changes will disturb her greatly...I predict she'll adapt just fine. For power outages, you should keep an ice chest or large styro-foam box on hand (the thick kind that frozen food is shipped in). If the power goes out, secure your snake in a snake bag (pillowcases work fine, but don't use your best ones, in case she has to 'go') & keep your BP in the "ice chest" to help keep temperatures stable. If you have a gas hot water heater, fill 1 or 2 large jars with hot water & put them in too...they'll keep it balmy-warm for 8-9 hours. If your hot water heater is electric, you should keep some chemical heat packs on hand...preferably the kind they use when shipping reptiles, for instant & portable heat. (I've been thru a 4 day power outage in winter during an ice storm using these methods- I had 15 snakes at the time, & none got sick or had any problems afterwards.)

About your aspen shavings & UTH:
    Do make sure your UTH is regulated by a reliable thermostat...wood shavings are rather combustible, if the UTH were to over-heat. Think safety.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-02-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MkMakie (07-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: My 28 year old ball python is acting more active than usual???

28 years old Royal python wow ..

That has to be the oldest one we’ve had in here ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

MkMakie (07-03-2020)

Thanks

wow! thank you! I never thought about worms!! I do buy my rats from a reputable breeder but I will get that stool checked asap!

I really appreciate your advice about power outages, I will definitely use that in the future. Hopefully there will be no more this summer, its way to hot!

My plan is to add a thermostat to the UTH, a second hide for the cool side and buying a temperature gun.

Thanks again

Thanks

it's been so cool growing up with her. My dad got her for my brother when I was a 1 year old. Sarah and I are buddies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MkMakie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-03-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    28 years old Royal python wow ..

That has to be the oldest one we’ve had in here ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it's been so cool growing up with her. My dad got her for my brother when I was a 1 year old. Sarah and I are buddies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Since you've been feeding her live rats, & I assume you don't raise them yourself (-?), I'd recommend getting her fresh stool checked for parasites by a qualified herp vet. It's entirely possible -since she feeds on live rats- that she has picked up internal parasites that are causing her more hunger (sharing meals with worms!) or some discomfort(that also might be evident by her moving around more). It may be nothing but since you asked, this is what I'd do...a fecal check shouldn't cost a lot, and if she needs a treatment, it's easy & not expensive. Congratulations on having a 28 year old snake! I hope you enjoy her for many more years to come. If for some reason there are no herp vets near you, FYI snakes can be safely de-wormed using Panacur (horse de-wormer).

Also, I favor adding UTH (regulated) & maybe keeping your heat lamp (dimmed as needed) for winter months (ie. use both sources of heat when needed). I don't think the changes will disturb her greatly...I predict she'll adapt just fine. For power outages, you should keep an ice chest or large styro-foam box on hand (the thick kind that frozen food is shipped in). If the power goes out, secure your snake in a snake bag (pillowcases work fine, but don't use your best ones, in case she has to 'go') & keep your BP in the "ice chest" to help keep temperatures stable. If you have a gas hot water heater, fill 1 or 2 large jars with hot water & put them in too...they'll keep it balmy-warm for 8-9 hours. If your hot water heater is electric, you should keep some chemical heat packs on hand...preferably the kind they use when shipping reptiles, for instant & portable heat. (I've been thru a 4 day power outage in winter during an ice storm using these methods- I had 15 snakes at the time, & none got sick or had any problems afterwards.)

About your aspen shavings & UTH:
    Do make sure your UTH is regulated by a reliable thermostat...wood shavings are rather combustible, if the UTH were to over-heat. Think safety.
    wow! thank you! I never thought about worms!! I do buy my rats from a reputable breeder but I will get that stool checked asap!

I really appreciate your advice about power outages, I will definitely use that in the future. Hopefully there will be no more this summer, its way to hot!

My plan is to add a thermostat to the UTH, a second hide for the cool side and buying a temperature gun.

Thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    That sounds pretty normal, most snakes tend to move around at night and poke their heads out, remember all they really have to do is find food in life and that instinct doesn't change because they are captive kept. I don't know about your area but right now it's a heat wave here and that tends to get my snakes more active. Check to make sure your temps aren't getting too warm. She would adjust fine to a new habitat, no different than if you had just acquired her through a rehoming situation, as long as it's got what she needs she'll settle in.
    Thank you for your reassurance! I will get her stool checked for worms (to be safe). but in the meantime, it might just be the 90 weather....