Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

1 members and 2,850 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Jeffrey Progression thread

Well I've had Jeffrey for a few years now, but I still want to be able to post pictures of her as time goes on. So it's a progression thread that has started kind of in the middle.

-Jeffrey-

Nicknames: Fluffy, Steve, Pumpkin Python, Aylee N., Karana (the name my kid gave her, and it's her "official name" according to her vet records, but I literally never call her that), Isis, Chubs

Morph: Mojave

Weight: No clue, but she earns the "Chubs" name

We got Jeffrey when she was around 2 (we think). She was in rough shape when we got her. Underweight, dehydrated, listless, and bitey for a BP. The owner was a teenager who originally wanted to breed her with another Mojave to sell BELs. He'd gotten her first to let her get big enough, then planned to get a male.

But, then he lost interest and decided that ball pythons are boring. So she didn't look great when we got her. She didn't even have any kind of humidity (and we live in Las Vegas, mkay. Average humidity is like 4%), and multiple stuck eyecaps.

But surprisingly, no major health issues. We took her to the vet, intending it to be a whole process getting her back to health, but no RI, no mites or parasites, no infected eyecaps (or any infections), nothing.

A few minor issues, shown by the bloodwork we got done, but the vet seemed confident that with proper nutrition and care, those issues would resolve themselves (and she was right).

And I dunno, I don't hate the idea of breeding her eventually (my kid wants a BEL), but now she's already around 6, so I'm not sure how that would go. It's not like I have random incubators and stuff set up (or a male to breed her with). So she'll probably just be a pampered, spoiled pet.

And the kid loves her. This was about 6 months after we got her.

And watching TV together:

And some more recent photos, exploring the great outdoors!

She's not bitey anymore, but she still has an INSANE feeding response. She's never gone on a food strike, and I can count on one hand the number of times she's refused food in the last 4 years.

I took this picture for another thread, talking about the size of her food, and I thought it was funny. Even completely frozen, still sealed in the bag, she could still smell it and started lunging at everything that moved.

I am going to get a scale soon, though (both hubby and I were laid off, money is tight right now). I'm curious what she weighs. She's definitely the biggest BP I've ever had.

Those are medium rats next to her. She's a thick lady.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ApathyAngel For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2022),Caitlin (09-12-2020),Finn0208 (07-01-2020),Kam (06-30-2021),L.West (07-17-2020),nikkubus (06-30-2021)

Thanks

Re: Jeffrey Progression thread

Trying to measure her is always an adventure. I think she's right around 51 inches long, give or take a couple.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ApathyAngel For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2022),Caitlin (09-12-2020),EL-Ziggy (07-24-2020),Kam (06-30-2021),L.West (07-17-2020),nikkubus (06-30-2021)

Thanks

Funny story:

My 8yo daughter is the one who cleans the snake cage. Which is usually quick and easy, but Jeffrey is mad at us now.

She's gotten a little chunky, so we're spacing out her feedings a little more to try and help her slim down.

Jeffrey doesn't like this plan.

So she's been acting extra hungry lately, and the Spawn was a little intimidated.

I happened to be finishing my omelet, but told Spawn to hand Jeffrey to me anyway, I'd hang on to her while she cleaned the cage.

So I was eating with my right hand and Jeffrey was curled around my left wrist. I was eating and chatting with Darling Husband, not paying attention to Jeffrey. So I didn't notice that she was winding up.

Until she suddenly launched herself toward my fork.

It was enough that DH (who doesn't hate snakes, but definitely isn't super comfortable with them) jumped up out of his chair.

It was SO FAST. Luckily she missed. And of course, I immediately put the fork down and covered her head, making her ball up.

It was the funniest thing ever. She's always had a strong feeding response, but she's never done that before (not that I make it a habit to hold her while I'm eating).

I couldn't stop laughing. Not even my retic ever did anything like that before.

And it's only been 11 days since her last feeding! We usually feed her around every 7 to 10 days, depending on how hungry she's acting, so it's been a little longer than she's used to, but it's not like she's starving, by any stretch of the imagination.

I couldn't believe she tried to go after my food while I was holding her. It was so funny, I had to share.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ApathyAngel For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2022),Caitlin (09-12-2020),EL-Ziggy (07-24-2020),Glowworm (12-26-2021),Kam (06-30-2021),L.West (07-17-2020)

Thanks

Hanging out, taking a nap on my arm

She can be so cute and chill when she's not a psycho monster

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ApathyAngel For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2022),Caitlin (09-12-2020),Kam (06-30-2021),L.West (07-17-2020)

Thanks

Time for food? Is there food? Can I have some food? You got any food?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ApathyAngel For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2022),Caitlin (09-12-2020),EL-Ziggy (07-24-2020),Kam (06-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

She is a thick girl! She could probably stand to lose a few grams but she sure is purdy!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ApathyAngel (07-24-2020),Caitlin (09-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    She is a thick girl! She could probably stand to lose a few grams but she sure is purdy!
    Lol, yeah, she's on a diet, and she's not super happy about it. You'd think I'm starving her, the way she prowls her tank.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApathyAngel For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-12-2020),EL-Ziggy (07-24-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ApathyAngel View Post
    Lol, yeah, she's on a diet, and she's not super happy about it. You'd think I'm starving her, the way she prowls her tank.

That's actually one of the benefits of feeding less often imo. My snakes are more active too which I love to see. I feed them every 2 weeks on average and even less during the winter.

Are you feeding her mediums and/or large rats? Snakes have different body types just like people.
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    That's actually one of the benefits of feeding less often imo. My snakes are more active too which I love to see. I feed them every 2 weeks on average and even less during the winter.

Are you feeding her mediums and/or large rats? Snakes have different body types just like people.
    Mediums. I had been feeding her every 7-10 days, but now I'm feeding every 14 days. The only problem is it's made her more bitey. It takes me a few minutes after getting her out to snap her out of food mode, and after that, she's good. But when I first grab her, man, anything warm and within reach is at risk. She tried to eat our 70lb pitbull the other day.

Lol, I used to own a retic, and her feeding response puts his to shame. She's a complete glutton.

Thanks

Do you tap her with a hook before taking her out? That generally shuts off their strong food response. Most of my snakes are pretty food crazed too. I don't reach into any of their enclosures without tapping them with a hook first. Like your critter if it's warm and moving they're gonna wanna taste.
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast