Hey everyone! I recently got two baby ball pythons. I did so much research and felt like I had everything prepared for their arrival, but am having a few problems I could use help with. They are currently in two separate 20g glass tanks. (I know the arguments regarding glass but I like the look and its what I'm working with until I can afford PVC). I currently have a piece of glass covering around 3/4 of each screen top to keep in heat/humidity. Using a mix of eco-earth and forest floor for substrate. Two hides, logs, water dish, lots of plants, cork bark, and leaf litter. Here are my problems:

1. They each have an UTH (heat mat) controlled by separate thermostats but I'm having trouble getting both their hot spot warm enough. The probe is currently sandwiched in between the glass and mat. I know its causing some doming and the mat isn't laying flush with the glass. I'm not sure how to help this. I have cranked up the heat but its still not getting warm enough (averaging 85. I know, I know, that's why I'm asking for help). I'm checking temps using a infrared heat gun. I've also checked under the substrate to make sure the glass isn't too hot. I will try thinning out the substrate a bit but I don't know if my heat mat just sucks? Should I ditch the mat and get heat tape?

2. I can't get my ambient temp to regulate. Because my house is kept a bit cooler, I've added a CHE to raise the ambient temp but it causes it to spike and fall. I don't have them on thermostats YET but am only turning them on when I am home and can watch the temperates. Is a thermostat the solution or are there other ways of helping this? Also, does anyone recommend a good hydrometer/ thermometer? seems hard to find something reliable.

3. Is it okay if the humidity fluctuates? I am misting twice a day and have added small amounts of sphagnum moss but because of how irregular the heat is, so is the humidity. According to my gauge it ranges anywhere from 47-70% humidity. I don't want to cause any respiratory or scale rot issues.

I love my new babies and just want to give them the best life possible. I know that my set up has nearly everything they need to be happy (barring a better enclosures) but need help with some stability.

Thank you in advance for any advice, sorry it was long winded.