Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,640

0 members and 2,640 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation Blood python: illness, deformation, quirk, or husbandry issue?

Hi all, this is my first post here on the forums, so I’m just going to get straight into it, but first a little info. I have a young yearling blood python who is about two and a half feet long right now, a little on the skinny side, but much better than when I first got her from a local shop. Sweetest temperament in the world, has built a strong trust with me, and only lashes out at strangers. She’s currently in a 24”x18”x12” exo Terra terrarium, soon moving to a 36”, that has most of the screen covered by packaging tape. I heat with overhead (day and night bulbs for a cycle) on one half, and her temps are usually around 84-86 on the warmer end and 77-82 on the cool, depending on the time of day. I keep up humidity with combined effort of a mister set on a timer cycle, as well as hand misting if need be. Cage humidity usually reads anywhere from 55%-75% on my digital hygrometers, yet admittedly, her sheds still have some ways to go, so I’ve been really trying to crack down on more misting. She’s currently on a mix of cypress mulch and reindeer moss, has one cave on either side, two water dishes and some foliage.

Anyways, ever since I acquired her back in late September of 2019, she’s always had strange respiration sounds. I know my first thoughts back then, and sometimes even now, are it’s something to do with a URI, but these noises (little clicks, the occasional soft hiss of air) have remained unchanged for nearly nine months now, meaning they’ve gotten no better, but also no worse. Of course I have taken her to the vet for this. On multiple occasions, actually. Once when I first noticed the pops, once again at the beginning of the new year, and once just less than a month ago, yet the answer is always that she is fine. From multiple herp doctors I’ve seen, they’ve all said that her airways look clear and that she doesn’t have any excess saliva or mucus. Thus, they weren’t too concerned, and only on one occasion was I actually prescribed something for her. It was an antiseptic mouth rinse from some vet I didn’t much trust, as she kept referring to my baby girl as a ball python, so who knows how reliable she is if she can’t even tell different snake species apart. Needless to say, I saw no improvement after a week of the mouth rinse.

So, I guess my question is, is it possible that these breathing sounds are caused by some kind of deformation in either her nostrils or airway? I’ve also heard that blood pythons are a vocal species, but I doubt this has to do with that, right? Could it be an issue with husbandry, or should I maybe keep trying different vets to try and get an answer? Aside from these noises, she has no other symptoms associated with an infection. No open-mouth breathing, no snot bubbles, tongue not stuck together, no soaking or yawns, eating like a champ, etc... Just would like some answers, as I’m always worrying for my children. Thanks!

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Hmmm, if she's not showing any signs of illness I'm not sure I'd be that concerned, they are huffy by nature but without hearing what's going on it's really hard to say. Stuck shed in a nostril? I'm assuming all these vets have looked in her mouth, have they done any cultures? That would be your best bet if you think something is going on. I would recommend you change or revamp your setup and get your humidity at a good level 60% or so constantly. If she's having bad sheds and your humidity is up and down with misting, it's not steady or at a healthy level for her and that's of high importance. A tub with a heat mat or PVC cage with a heat panel would be a much better choice than fighting with glass tanks and heat lamps.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply! The vets have not done a culture, only eyeballing things. I’ll definitely take her in again for one if raising humidity doesn’t help. Money is a little rough right now, but once I’m able, I’ll look into a better tank alternative for her. Thanks again!