Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

2 members and 2,896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Skin Check Help

Thanks

Question Skin Check Help

Hello!
    New BP owner
    I've only had my snake for a 2 weeks, and after many days of research of all the things that can go wrong I have definitely scared myself. When we first got him, we noticed he had some patches on his skin like it was partially shedding. After handling him a little more, I've felt / seen more rough patches and I'm wondering if its anything to worry about or if its just something they get. I just fed him a couple days ago and he ate just fine. I have him in a glass tank, making sure my temps are around 80 ambient air and around 60% humidity with a digital thermometer/hydrometer. I change his water dish daily, and use a mix of eco earth and cypress mulch. I know BPs are notorious for not eating for long periods of time, so I'm hoping him eating the first time around means I'm doing a good job of keeping him comfortable. He is hiding during the day and active at night like normal. I don't see any bubbles or anything coming from his mouth / nose like I've read about. No dots or possible mites on his underside.

I've added photos, hoping it's nothing serious and maybe I just need to bathe him or something simple.
    Thank you in advance!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YuuGhQGjLw1CT2Cm9
    Last edited by Cafeconleche; 06-28-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Skin Check Help

First pic looks maybe like scar tissue from a minor burn? Other two don’t look like much and may go away with a shed. How are you heating the cage and how is the heating element being regulated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 06-28-2020 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks

Re: Skin Check Help

I second the scarring on the first picture. It doesn't look sore or anything which is good. It looks healed to me. I'd wait and see what happens with his next shed, he looks young.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks

I use a 25W blue light during the day just to keep the ambient temp on one side since I live in a hot area, we always have our A/C and fan on, but he's usually just in his hide. The light hangs over the cage so no contact with it or the dome. Then a UTH at night with a thermostat / probe regulating the temp. We noticed the first patch and the spot on his head the day we got him.

Thanks

Second the scarring and the little piece on the head looks like stuck shed to me. I wouldn't worry too much since everything looks healed but keep an eye on it through the next shed. Make sure you bump the humidity up a bit when you see him go in blue.
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo