Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,797

2 members and 2,795 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

are these mites?

hey guys, i just saw these little black dots on my BP. he has a lot of freckles, so it was hard to tell, but these are the only ones i’m concerned about (inside heat pit/nostril). are they mites, freckles, just random black specks? thank you
    https://imgur.com/a/eyQ5eng

Thanks

Re: are these mites?

Definitely looks abnormal, but could be a piece of dirt or something. What type of substrate do you have him on?

If you wanted to be safe in the meantime place him in a sterilized, plastic tub or glass tank and use paper towel or white paper as substrate. Have 2 hides and a proper sized water bowl. You could add a plant or two, maybe a fake stick but keep it minimal(avoid adding in real wood). Check daily for any black spots on the paper towel or in the water bowl. Also check your snake out to see if these black dots are appearing more frequently and if they progress to different areas around the face.

If this is a case of mites it looks like you caught it quite early which is good. Just keep an eye on things and make sure your snake has a water bowl big enough to soak in.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

are these mites?

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysm View Post
    hey guys, i just saw these little black dots on my BP. he has a lot of freckles, so it was hard to tell, but these are the only ones i’m concerned about (inside heat pit/nostril). are they mites, freckles, just random black specks? thank you
    https://imgur.com/a/eyQ5eng
    I’d get a few pieces of very damp WHITE paper kitchen towel and wipe the snake down thoroughly... then look very closely on the on the white paper . If you see any little black specs you crush them with the back of a teaspoon . If they’re mites you’ll see a tiny circle of blood ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 06-24-2020 at 03:59 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2020),christineho (06-24-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-24-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (06-24-2020)

Thanks
    thanks guys for the advice. i switched him to paper towels and took out decorations, applied some provent-a-mite i had. it’s been a few days now and nothing’s shown up. i normally keep him on aspen chips (humidity’s always been good) and there’s not much dust or tiny pieces. i gave him a bath and the specks are all still in the same place so i’m thinking they are just freckles... but i’ve never seen freckles inside heat pits. i’m gonna keep him on paper towels and everything for at least a month, just in case they actually are mites. will post any updates.