Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,037

4 members and 3,033 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Are these eggs going to make it?

I’m really upset, this is my first time breeding, and everything seemed to be going so well. I think I know where I messed up though, and try not to be too hard on me as I really did try and do proper. Research and all that. When she laid her eggs, they looked very healthy initially, and no slugs. I decided to go with maternal incubation, which I now realize probably wasn’t a good idea, at least in my case. I gave her the proper conditions to incubate them (she’s about 4 years old and a pretty big girl). Things were going okay the first day, but then the second day she wasn’t really coiling around the eggs properly, was kind of laying on top of some of them, it just didn’t seem right. So , the third day, I put them into ab incubator i had prepared previously just in case. I used spaghnum moss in the bottom of the bin, mixed with water. I had a heat lamp providing the heat (it was far enough away so the heat wasnt directly on the eggs, its off to the side). The temp remained at 30-32 C and the humidity at 95%. I made sure the bin was at a slight angle so any moisture wouldn’t drip on the eggs. I used a small LED light To candle the eggs (I know it’s probably not the proper kind of light), and although I could see veins (and in one of the eggs I could see a small developing head with a black eye) there wasn’t very many, and seemed kind of disconnected. The eggs have green algae looking matter on them, and although they have remained under proper temps, they they are still dented inwards. I’m starting to wonder if the temp reader is incorrect or if it was something that I did wrong. Please let me know if there is any hope for any of these eggs. I read somewhere that you could use athletes foot powder to sprinkle on the eggs to help stop mold. Please let me know what you think and if there’s any possibility of saving these babies. I will add this is the 5th day after they’ve been laid. Thank you
    Last edited by SacredSnakes; 06-23-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    I've only done one (unexpected Partheno) clutch with maternal (100% success rate tho) but these don't look too bad to me to be honest. I'll let someone more experienced weigh in, but these guys don't look too discolored to me. Again I don't have a lot of experience, but that's just based on some videos and pics of other clutches I've seen. I've seen much worse out there.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Are these eggs going to make it?

I have a few clutches so far with some really ugly eggs this year...Your eggs look fine to me.

The real question is what will they look like in 55 more days.
    *.* TNTC

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like your eggs either got wet or they are just dying, that's not just ugly eggs those are moldy eggs, so considering how they look and it's only day 5, I will have to guess that they will not make it.
    Deborah Stewart