Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

3 members and 3,105 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Question Eggs are REALLY tough and dry... should I be cutting them?

Question in the title- due to initial humidity problems and a bunch of other problems, for whatever reason the clutch of eggs turned out SUPER tough exterior, and extremely caved in... Like the deep wrinkles won't un-wrinkle or budge at all when I push at it, they are "dried up" in that position... it's hard to explain. The eggs are still white though. When candled last week, they all have veins.

The eggs were incubated at a range of 87-89, but mostly stayed at around 88. I finally got a c-serpents incubator about last Friday and had it set up and put them in. The DIY incubator I had with an RHP just did not work as I expected, the RHP seeming to wick all moisture away from the top of the eggs even though the humidity says 99%.

The eggs also are very stuck together, and won't separate when I try to pull them apart.

It's currently day 51... Would you cut and on what day? I just can't see baby snakes able to pip this exterior but maybe I'm wrong
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-23-2020 at 06:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: Eggs are REALLY tough and dry... should I be cutting them?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Question in the title- due to initial humidity problems and a bunch of other problems, for whatever reason the clutch of eggs turned out SUPER tough exterior, and extremely caved in... Like the deep wrinkles won't un-wrinkle or budge at all when I push at it, they are "dried up" in that position... it's hard to explain. The eggs are still white though. When candled last week, they all have veins.

The eggs were incubated at a range of 87-89, but mostly stayed at around 88. I finally got a c-serpents incubator about last Friday and had it set up and put them in. The DIY incubator I had with an RHP just did not work as I expected, the RHP seeming to wick all moisture away from the top of the eggs even though the humidity says 99%.

The eggs also are very stuck together, and won't separate when I try to pull them apart.

It's currently day 51... Would you cut and on what day? I just can't see baby snakes able to pip this exterior but maybe I'm wrong
    I wouldn't cut just yet. I'd wait til at least day 55-56 minimum before you cut if you are worried they cannot cut through on their own. That's just me though.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PghBall For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-23-2020)

Thanks
    How bad are we talking? Eggs deflate before they pip naturally. If you can post pictures that would be great.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you want to expose them to bateria early? And them drying out once cut?

On average when do your clutches naturally pip on their own?

If you do not know wait for the first one to pip or cut at day 58 if worried.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-23-2020),Kamryn (09-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJohn View Post
    How bad are we talking? Eggs deflate before they pip naturally. If you can post pictures that would be great.
    They're pretty bad LOL. They have deflated the first week they were laid due to humidity issues, and then apparently had some sort of further issue with humidity throughout the entire incubation process (despite the humidity saying 99%) because the egg shell became extremely tough. I'll post pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Do you want to expose them to bateria early? And them drying out once cut?

On average when do your clutches naturally pip on their own?

If you do not know wait for the first one to pip or cut at day 58 if worried.
    This is my first clutch that I screwed up on with a DIY incubator that didn't work as I expected, creating this super tough exterior, which is why I'm worried the babies won't be able to pip this

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I would wait until day 58 to cut if none pipped by then

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk