Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,941

3 members and 2,938 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Kenyan sand boa stargazing?

Well thanks for being so dedicated to replying, I appreciate it. Maybe one day I will try to feed him in his cage but I keep him on aspen so I’ve always taken him out of his cage to avoid impaction and since I have to hold him anyway. He’s never even come close to biting me and has even been dropped a few inches after eating without regurging so he’s certainly chill once he has the mouse down. He would actually strike when he was younger (I got him at 7 months) but now he’s 20 months old and has been in this routine for half a year. I’m going to feed him right now, will update with how he does. Thanks for being so responsive.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Sand boas are so small that I wouldn't worry much about a bite either, lol, & I think it's very cool that you have this routine worked out with him. I'd be uncomfortable
    about any of my snakes ingesting any aspen too, it's one substrate I've never used, actually (& for much the same reason).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Yeah I got a bunch of aspen on sale so once I use it up I might change lol... it does hold his burrows really well though and he’s lazy so he likes to reuse the tunnels he makes. If I do change it what would you recommend, out of curiosity? Ok back to my main subject, I did feed him last night and it went well. Something I forgot to mention about his weird eating is that he refuses to eat anything bigger than a fuzzy, even though they’re way too small for him comparatively. So last night I decided to try feeding him two fuzzies and it worked, after I dangled him over there first one I just placed the second one at the tail of the first and he kept on going it was rather amusing. From what I could see of his mouth there were no signs of infection, and he clearly was hungry so I’m relieved. I’ll still take him to the vet checkup I have scheduled but unless he does any other weird stuff I don’t think he needs to be taken in for emergency. Thanks for your feedback it has helped me chill out a lot.

Thanks
    If you feel better taking him to see the vet, just make sure that the vet you see has plenty of snake experience; those that seldom see "exotic" pets often get it all wrong.

Personally I'd not take him to the vet if the only thing you're worried about is the way he was "periscoping" to look around...that's NOT "stargazing". (the latter goes on for a long time, & as I already mentioned, you'll very likely see other symptoms too) Plus he has a good appetite- that's a very positive sign. Snakes are VERY hard to read, especially for vets who only see them in office. First learn what's normal & then trust what you see. If your snake ever really IS sick, your observations can make all the difference, to help your vet diagnose.

I'd recommend using Carefresh 'natural': it sticks together better than aspen...I've raised & kept rosy boas for many years, & especially when they're neonates, they love
    to tunnel into it...they feel very secure that way. I use a mix of Carefresh & my own clean paper shreds for most of my snakes currently. I primarily keep colubrids these
    days. Carefresh is ideal for desert snakes...it's "drying" (hygroscopic), & has no possibility of splinters...it's a paper by-product. (I'd still avoid letting snakes swallow it,
    especially if they're small, but a small bit is very unlikely to cause a blockage & no chance of a bowel perforation at all.)

As far as feeding your sand boa, they have a narrow face (gape), very much like my rosy boas & my Texas longnose snake. You've already figured out the answer to them
    getting enough to eat...multiple items. Don't over-do it...you want a good body weight but not over-weight. For example, my adult female rosy boa (about 40" long)
    normally eats 2 small adult mice per meal...one large one would be too big around for her mouth & would be harder to digest, & one small adult mouse just wouldn't be
    enough food. My TX longnose snake has a totally different build...long & skinny. He'd normally mostly eat lizards & small snakes in the wild, & the name comes from his
    narrow face- he's about 18 years old now & also about 40" long- his meals consist of 5-6 fuzzy mice (f/t), to fill up his tummy to a reasonable extent. See? Snakes are
    NOT "one size fits all" about feeding or anything else. Snakes with a narrow gape do best eating on the small side, but pinkies have very little nutrition. For best results
    you want to feed the most mature rodents that fit properly for good digestion. Good work "chain feeding" your sand boa.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-22-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks

Great advice, yeah I am going to go ahead and take him to the vet since he’s never been in the time I’ve had him and I also didn’t quarantine him when I first got him (although he is/was my first snake so it doesn’t make much difference.) I’ve heard good things about Carefresh but I’ve never found it at any of my local pet suppliers so I haven’t tried it but I’ll look into it. I’m glad to have figured out the chain feeding it is an encouraging sign about his appetite. Thanks again for all your help and way cool to have a Texas longnose they are beautiful!

Thanks
    It's easy to find Carefresh online thru any of the major pet-product suppliers. Here's a link to Chewy. https://www.chewy.com/carefresh-smal...ding/dp/122289

I know that Petco carries it in store as well as online...it's always more expensive in the store, & quite honestly, I wait for online sales & stock up so as to avoid shipping
    charges too, especially since I have 19 snakes...I typically buy it once a year (multiple bags), or I order it along with dog food etc. Carefresh comes in various versions,
    I stick with "natural".

Your little sand boa is a real cutie, btw.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-22-2020 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks
    My KSB does that a lot too. I think he's just studying the top of the tank, trying to figure out way to escape.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-22-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    My KSB does that a lot too. I think he's just studying the top of the tank, trying to figure out way to escape.
    Yup...I think I remember someone (on this forum?) at least a year ago whose KSB persisted in climbing to the upper "ledge" in their tank, trying to "leave town", lol.

The OP's KSB is likely hungry too- he was only just fed 2 items per meal for the first time, I think? (one wasn't enough, he's been eating prey that's on the small side)

Thanks

Well everyone thank you for your help, I am currently at the vet after much discussion. Turns out it was a good thing after all because he does have a respiratory infection. He’s going to start antibiotics. I’m glad that it was not IBD though it will be sad to have to give the little guy shots. I’m going to remodel his cage so I think I’ll be starting a new thread regarding that but I might as well ask here too... does anyone have recommendations for something I can line the bottom of his tank with other than reptile carpet? This is to be under his substrate between substrate and glass so he doesn’t burn himself on UTH. I’d like something that is easily washable because reptile carpet is NOT so I’ve just been fully replacing it when I clean his tank, and that is racking up in price. So if anyone has advice for a washable non fabric terrarium liner that I won’t have to replace monthly please let me know. Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Do you have a thermostat? It sounds like you don't and in that case you should get one asap. It's good that you've been mindful about not burning him, but a terrarium liner shouldn't be necessary with the proper set up. A thermostat will keep your UTH at the right temperature all the time which is easier, safer and a lot more reliable than using a liner on unregulated heat
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aurum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-04-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast