Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,274

1 members and 2,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Kenyan sand boa stargazing?

Caught my KSB in this weird position yesterday. I thought it might be star gazing, sign of possible RI or IBD so I scheduled him a vet appointment but the closest appointment was a week and a half out. Does anyone think I should take him in as an emergency? Or can I wait?
    image link- https://imgur.com/gallery/335y45M
    Last edited by Bugs_and_Herps; 06-21-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks

Re: Kenyan sand boa stargazing?

Saw him doing it again and got a better photo- https://i.imgur.com/tLQs0nz.jpg
    I am worried.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My KSB will stand himself up similar to that when he's hungry, but he'll go all the way up the sides of his enclosure and sniff around the screen. I've never noticed him just partially raised like that though.

Can I assume he's staying like he is in the photos with just his head elevated? Or is he exploring a bit too?

Thanks

He’s just hovering in that position... he moved once I tapped his cage but he wasn’t moving before that. I haven’t fed him for a while though so I will tonight, maybe I can look in his mouth for signs of respiratory infection.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,788 Times in 11,825 Posts
    Congratulations...I suspect you're a "helicopter snarent". ALL snakes look up now & then...that doesn't mean they're sick, much less stargazing. No doubt your
    vet would happily take your money to check him out...especially as an "emergency", but most likely you're just worried for nothing. Snakes are ALLOWED to look up,
    it's in their contract... And when they're hungry, many will try to climb the walls in search of food...they rely on scent, which in MOST cases is coming from the TOP of their enclosures.

If that was my snake, I'd gently hold him so his face was near my ear, & listen for crackling, whistling, squeaking sounds...those can indicate an RI. Also bubbling
    and excessive saliva in or near the mouth, & struggling to breathe (open mouth) since they cannot cough away excess secretions.

I'd also suggest assessing his overall coordination & strength...if that seems normal (as I suspect it will), he's not sick, just nosy (or hungry). Snakes with IBD are usually quite obviously sick...if you turn them on their back, they're unable to right themselves...they may have trouble holding on to things, & seem unsteady, as if they're dizzy, and move abnormally with poor coordination.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-21-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bugs_and_Herps (06-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-21-2020),GoingPostal (06-22-2020),Toad37 (06-21-2020)

Thanks

Heh, yes I am certainly a helicopter snarent, I worry easily. Thanks for your feedback, I will be feeding him tonight so I’ll assess him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bugs_and_Herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-21-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_and_Herps View Post
    Heh, yes I am certainly a helicopter snarent, I worry easily. Thanks for your feedback, I will be feeding him tonight so I’ll assess him.
    Asking shows you care about him, that's a good thing. I know there are scary issues discussed in forums & it's easy to imagine you're seeing the symptoms described in your own pets. It's not just you, either...many people that study medicine (to become doctors or nurses) find themselves imagining many of the symptoms they're reading about...so congratulations, you're also "human". FYI, I'd avoid handling him before feeding & only handle (& assess him further) IF he refuses food. If he eats, let him digest for a few days before handling (to check further) for best results (& no regurges) unless there are very OBVIOUS signs that something's wrong.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-21-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks

Yeah thats a good idea, thanks. I will try to handle him as little as I can but he’s actually is quite a fussy eater, he refuses to strike at his food and instead makes me pick him up and dangle him over the mouse. It’s very odd but it got him eating again after he refused a couple times so I’ve kept doing it. I got a new container to feed him in today that’s darker and smaller so maybe he will actually strike for once, we’ll see. Despite his weird method of eating, he does keep his food down so I haven’t been too concerned about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_and_Herps View Post
    Yeah thats a good idea, thanks. I will try to handle him as little as I can but he’s actually is quite a fussy eater, he refuses to strike at his food and instead makes me pick him up and dangle him over the mouse. It’s very odd but it got him eating again after he refused a couple times so I’ve kept doing it. I got a new container to feed him in today that’s darker and smaller so maybe he will actually strike for once, we’ll see. Despite his weird method of eating, he does keep his food down so I haven’t been too concerned about it.
    That's a VERY strange feeding preference! I've had BPs that when young, felt safer & therefore braver by being on a branch above their prey- that makes some sense; I also have snakes (not BPs) that enjoy eating f/t from tongs while sitting in my hand, they also eat "politely", but that's very odd for a BP. But hey, whatever works... The snakes I've hand-fed in the past out-grew that (most got feistier about eating) & fyi, I & most others don't recommend feeding in containers or side cages...especially BPs, they tend to feel bravest on their home turf, at night & peeking out of a secure-feeling hide for clueless prey (dangled f/t from tongs) to "walk past" (never towards them), so you might try moving towards doing it that way, but it's up to you, it's your snake. It's just that most snakes do get more likely to bite you by accident when handled either before or right after feeding-so the risk is mostly yours, if moving them for meals. Or, some snakes are put off eating if handled. Much of whether or not this works for you just comes down to how well you can read your snake & how comfortable your snake is with you doing this. Most snakes do get into a routine.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-21-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's a VERY strange feeding preference! I've had BPs that when young, felt safer & therefore braver by being on a branch above their prey- that makes some sense; I also have snakes (not BPs) that enjoy eating f/t from tongs while sitting in my hand, they also eat "politely", but that's very odd for a BP. But hey, whatever works... The snakes I've hand-fed in the past out-grew that (most got feistier about eating) & fyi, I & most others don't recommend feeding in containers or side cages...especially BPs, they tend to feel bravest on their home turf, at night & peeking out of a secure-feeling hide for clueless prey (dangled f/t from tongs) to "walk past" (never towards them), so you might try moving towards doing it that way, but it's up to you, it's your snake. It's just that most snakes do get more likely to bite you by accident when handled either before or right after feeding-so the risk is mostly yours, if moving them for meals. Or, some snakes are put off eating if handled. Much of whether or not this works for you just comes down to how well you can read your snake & how comfortable your snake is with you doing this. Most snakes do get into a routine.
    Sorry, I'm doing several things at once (can you tell?)...meant to say it's odd for a sand boa, & I've actually not kept any sand boas, but as far as I know they're ambush-predators too...pouncing upwards from under the sand. If he's not kept on sand, there are other ways to simulate this ambush technique but right now I need my own dinner, lol...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bugs_and_Herps (06-22-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast