Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,883

6 members and 2,877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Professional advice needed on Black Pastel Pied

Hi,
    I am living in Thailand and planning to buy a baby Black Pastel Pied male here. It is VERY IMPORTANT for me that it really is a Black Pastel and that is why I wanted to ask here if any professionals could confirm the morph.
    I have attached pictures of the baby and the parents.
    Thank you very much in advance for your help

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Professional advice needed on Black Pastel Pied

I am not convinced it is Black Pastel, and if it is, it's a poor example of one. If I am investing in a animal for a project, I would pick an animal that leaves no doubt as to the genetics. In other words, look for a great example of a Black Pastel that the breeder can prove is het for Pied based on the pairings. Just my $0.02.

Thanks
    The baby might be a Black Pastel Pied. Ask to see better pictures of the colored area. The way the stripe on his neck blends away is a good sign, and his color does not appear quite normal on my monitor. He looks a little light, but there might be a reason for that.

The Pied parent - Dad? - is a Black Pastel Pied. He's characteristically high white, and his colored areas are extremely dark. Normal Pieds have a light stripe in their marked areas - in Black Pastel Pieds, this strip is blurred and often absent, as it is in the parent snake.

The Het Pied parent is a browned-out Pastel. That brings me back to the baby.

There is the chance that the baby is a Black Pewter Pied - he's Pied, Black Pastel, and Pastel. This will make a lighter-colored animal than Black Pastel Pied by itself. But I'd need to see more photos to feel more confident one way or the other.

Hopefully more people will chime in.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

polod (06-21-2020),Ronniex2 (11-14-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    The baby might be a Black Pastel Pied. Ask to see better pictures of the colored area. The way the stripe on his neck blends away is a good sign, and his color does not appear quite normal on my monitor. He looks a little light, but there might be a reason for that.

The Pied parent - Dad? - is a Black Pastel Pied. He's characteristically high white, and his colored areas are extremely dark. Normal Pieds have a light stripe in their marked areas - in Black Pastel Pieds, this strip is blurred and often absent, as it is in the parent snake.

There is the chance that the baby is a Black Pewter Pied - he's Pied, Black Pastel, and Pastel. This will make a lighter-colored animal than Black Pastel Pied by itself. But I'd need to see more photos to feel more confident one way or the other.

Thank you Alicia, this is very interesting, I'll ask more detailed pictures and post them here.

Have a very nice day and thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post

@Alicia , please see attached 2 additional photos, hope they will help.

Please let me know what do you think, and thank you very much again

7. The Following User Says Thank You to polod For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-22-2020)

Thanks
    From those photos, that's a Black Pewter Pied. If I hatched that, I'd be confident in calling it. The color on the face, that haziness on the back of the neck, those are indicative. So, yes, Black Pastel, Pastel, Pied in one snake.

Edit to add:
    The color looks a little too grey to be just a Black Pastel Pied - even a very pale one.
    Also, link to reference photos of a Black Pewter Pied. It has more colored areas, but the important part to look at is the head:
    worldofballpythons.com/morphs/black-pewter-pied/
    Last edited by Alicia; 06-22-2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: extra note

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

polod (06-22-2020)