Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,019

2 members and 3,017 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Weirdly shaped jaw?

Hey guys! I recently brought home a new snake. Wouldn't quite call her a rescue since her body condition is pretty good and she's doing really well, but she was rehomed to me and I know little to nothing about her past. Her previous owner only knew that she's over three years old, and that's it. She's a healthy shape despite being tiny (800 ish grams, and yes, she is definitely female) and having a little belly rot that's already getting better with betadine soaks and a little extra care. The only thing that concerns me is her jaw shape. I've just never seen a ball python with this sort of bulky, low set jaw. She was regurgitating her food and had a blockage due to improper tank size (20 gallon tall) and heat (nonexistent) but those have cleared up and she's eating regularly.

I haven't really spent much handling time with her outside soaks and checks since she's in quarantine and I still have another recovering snake who is in much worse condition and needs extreme amounts of care and attention. Going to get this girl out to the vet once the pandemic passes, but for now, is this something I should be concerned by? She's showing zero symptoms of an RI and her mouth checks haven't shown any signs of injuries or rot. Is it possible that this is some sort of old injury? She had a habit of striking at the glass in her old home and has a small scar on her face from hitting the wire top. She's likely going to be a permanent resident with since she's an extremely wobbly spider and will probably have some special needs.

Please excuse the poor quality pictures, she's really not used to people and getting her little head in focus is pretty hard.

0.1 mystery, pos normal YB? (Juniper Snubbery)
    1.0 lesser het red axanthic g stripe (Fig Newton)
    0.1 yb spinner blast (Honey Udon)

Hopeful future blood python enthusiast. Show me your bloods!

Thanks
    I have seen that in a few ball pythons, not entirely uncommon. As long as the inside of their mouth looks healthy and they are able to eat then they should be just fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Renigaed For This Useful Post:

Phirou (06-21-2020)