Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,888

2 members and 2,886 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Breeder male not eating

My Breeder male stopped eating at the exact same time as my female who he was bred with. I didn’t worry about it since that is normal behavior. However, he has been of for two months now and has lost 12-13% of his body weight. His body is more triangular now that it should be. ( spine sticks out a bit) He already was eating live and I tried feeding him a ASF, but he wouldn’t take it. My female is due to lay in the next wk or two and hopefully he’ll start eating then, but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I was having the same problem with a male this year. Right after his first pairing he stopped eating. I put a hide in his tub and only offer when he is in the hide, if he is out cruising for chicks he could care less. I know every snake is different but the same thing worked for 1000 gram female who's been off for 6 months.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Put him in a 12 quart tub if he is in something bigger and you have not done so even if he is 1000 to 1500 grams just downsize, if he his under 800 grams put him in a V18 style tub. You want to keep your breeding males in VERY tight quarters while breeding them.

And obviously you need to monitor him closely and pull him out of breeding rotation if necessary.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-25-2020),ReptileRant (06-17-2020)

Thanks

Re: Breeder male not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Put him in a 12 quart tub if he is in something bigger and you have not done so even if he is 1000 to 1500 grams just downsize, if he his under 800 grams put him in a V18 style tub. You want to keep your breeding males in VERY tight quarters while breeding them.

And obviously you need to monitor him closely and pull him out of breeding rotation if necessary.
    Well, he’s already out of my “breeding rotation”. I only have one female that I’m breeding this year. So, by the time he went off food she was off food as well and I only paired them one more time after that. He’s 1,300g ( was 1,450g) right now and in a 28q bin. But, he’s not been in with a female for 2 months. I have noticed that he’s been out of his cave a lot more during these past 2 month though. Maybe he’s just still in “breeding mode”

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReptileRant View Post
    Well, he’s already out of my “breeding rotation”. I only have one female that I’m breeding this year. So, by the time he went off food she was off food as well and I only paired them one more time after that. He’s 1,300g ( was 1,450g) right now and in a 28q bin. But, he’s not been in with a female for 2 months. I have noticed that he’s been out of his cave a lot more during these past 2 month though. Maybe he’s just still in “breeding mode”

It's really big for a breeding male at that size I would not worry one bit and I would keep breeding him.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ReptileRant (06-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    It's really big for a breeding male at that size I would not worry one bit and I would keep breeding him.
    Yea, he’s a pretty big guy. He was almost as big as the female I bred him with. My female has already ovulated and had her pre-lay shed. So, I have no need to put him with a female now. I know he’s big, but he’s starting to visually look a little skinny, and that’s not good. So my real question was, should I just keep waiting or should I try anything else to get him to eat.