Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

3 members and 2,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Hognose to comfortable

So I recently purchased a hognose. His ten gallon tank consists of the norm. Hides, clutter and 3 inches of substrate. He’s a happy healthy boy. Also feeds well. Took one off the tongs last Thursday.

Our problem is that he stays super buried most of the time. Most of the time the pinky’s are left setting out. Which later on when I’m not looking he will take. He’s only been handled once since I’ve had him. I got lucky and caught him out. Got him weighed. He is just over a month old.

Should I use less substrate? I’m glad he’s healthy. However part of me can’t help but think. Would I have been better off starting him out on newspaper? That way I could view him. Handle him easier and feed him easier.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Hognose to comfortable

Quite often a hidden snake is a happy one. The tunneling makes him feel safe I say let him. I have 2 sand boas. Feeding time and when I take them out is only time I really see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Igotsmallballs View Post
    So I recently purchased a hognose. His ten gallon tank consists of the norm. Hides, clutter and 3 inches of substrate. He’s a happy healthy boy. Also feeds well. Took one off the tongs last Thursday.

Our problem is that he stays super buried most of the time. Most of the time the pinky’s are left setting out. Which later on when I’m not looking he will take. He’s only been handled once since I’ve had him. I got lucky and caught him out. Got him weighed. He is just over a month old.

Should I use less substrate? I’m glad he’s healthy. However part of me can’t help but think. Would I have been better off starting him out on newspaper? That way I could view him. Handle him easier and feed him easier.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-16-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

A hognose should be hiding, do not replace his substrate to newspaper however you can provide 1 inch of substrate at that size.

It's not about YOU viewing him it's about providing an environment that promotes it's natural behaviour, they are diggers they like to bury themselves.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Very true. However I feel like I’m eventually going to have to dig him out. Rather it be for food or to weigh him. Just seems like it’s a double edge sword if I got to dig him out of it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    No, you're better off sticking to a substrate he can burrow and tunnel in. I only use about an inch and a half or two inches though.

At that age and size he's going to take a little time to acclimate, he's still tiny and sees everything as a potential predator.
    My Hognose boy is an adult, and I see him out and about a bit, but not a ton.

Give your boy some time, he'll become more confident as he puts on some size.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Very true. However I feel like I’m eventually going to have to dig him out. Rather it be for food or to weigh him. Just seems like it’s a double edge sword if I got to dig him out of it.
    I have been working with hognose for 9 years never had to dig one for feeding, if hungry and their husbandry are met they will eat.

As for weighing at this point I am not seeing the need.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah I suppose you guys are right. The main priority is that he’s is happy. I like the idea of using a little less substrate. I will wait til it’s cleaning time then put a little less in. Thanks for the help. Made me realize how inpatient and selfish my mind set was! Thx a ton!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I keep my hoggy on thick substrate too. If I need him out I will dig him up. He has a cave, a log, and a turtle shell he can hide in when not buried. Usually when it is feeding time I can tap the glass a bit and he will come out soon after. I just start feeding my others until he pops out and starts huffing and puffing.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I keep my hoggy on thick substrate too. If I need him out I will dig him up. He has a cave, a log, and a turtle shell he can hide in when not buried. Usually when it is feeding time I can tap the glass a bit and he will come out soon after. I just start feeding my others until he pops out and starts huffing and puffing.

He just came up today to let me know he was hungry. Was moving around on top. In and out of his hides. Handle him for a bit. Put him back in. Came back about an hour later. He had his head resting on the front of his enclosure. Facing were I normally sit. He then powered down a pinky. Took a drink of water and burrowed. Lol.