Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 518

1 members and 517 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Feral baby kitten caught/need help/progression thread

Too lazy to get up and play

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (07-22-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-26-2020),MissterDog (06-27-2020),Spicey (06-26-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Oh my goodness, she looks sooooooo good!!!!

Thanks

Looks like she's coming right along!
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Update - follow up from vet

No news is good news, but I have news, both good and bad.

I took her to my vet, who discovered that one of her eyes has a lot of scar tissue of some sort that covers about half of her cornea. He thinks that it could be from an early eye infection that she had before she could open her eyes, and/or early onset of cataracts. It could also be something she was born with. Nothing can be done at this age, and it seems to not bother her.

Her fecal came back positive for coccidia, so she is being treated for it now. I'm a little frustrated with the first vet (VCA) who refused the fecal, thus missing this parasite. Oh well. So be it.

He examined her lower lip and found that it could be a old injury or she could have born like this. When asked if we should leave it be, the vet is hesitant about that. For now, again due to her age, it is a wait and see situation. She is eating and it is not bothering her at this time. The main concerns were her lip being pulled further back and/or infection. He suggested when she is old enough, surgery will be needed if it gets worse or not getting better.

Good news is she was tested negative for FIV and leukemia. She also received her first combo vaccine today. I had a lengthy discussion with him about when is the appropriate age to spay her. The decision was to wait to spay her at 5 months or right after she is approved for adoption and ready to go to her new home (8+ weeks). Her next follow up vaccine and fecal is in 4 weeks. Rabies shots will not start until she is 16 weeks old.

Minor rant here - after speaking with many different people, and looking for potential adopters, it looks like this little girl may be staying with me longer than originally planned.

Kitten season is here, and litters of kittens are looking for homes that are not there. The client before me had a female with kittens, on top of the clinics looking for homes for some stray kittens they are caring for themselves. She is staying with me until a good, loving forever home is found, someone who is responsible and will love her to the moon and back.

The shelter is no place for any animals, much less, baby animals. Rescues are full at max capacity, they too struggle with rampant URI (kitty cold) and the lack of foster homes. This was a widescale problem for decades before the pandemic.

This pandemic adds new layers of challenges: there are no adoption events at this time; many clinics that previously offered discounted vaccines and spay are closed or currently not accepting patients, so some people can't get affordable vet care; and due to layoffs, financial hardships, people are not looking to adopt, but they are surrendering their pets. Some are giving them up out of fear of contracting the virus. While my local reptile stores are getting an increase in sales of animals, domestic pets are being dumped.

I need a drink haha. If you would like to help, pm me for the GoFundMe link. Every penny helps. I will provide another update in a month after her follow up visit or her adoption, whichever comes first. Thank you.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Update - 10 weeks old

Kitten will be going to her forever home this or next week (after her spay)!

It was a long journey even though she stayed with us only for a short time. Going from hating my guts to being a purr playful machine, to date, she is my most difficult kitten to tame considering her age. She is still very shy, but grows more confident by the day.

After receiving numerous responses to my posts on rescue Facebook, asking around, etc... She will be joining a home where she will be the baby sister to 2 older cats. One of them has a similar playful personality as my Gizmo who bonded and taught her many things. I spoke to her new mom at length, who can't wait to spoil her.

My heart breaks, just as I do for every foster that leaves this house. I never forget them. But I also know she will be loved. Currently, I'm dealing with some medical issues with my dog and beardie, so I guess it is time to let her go. This will also open space in my house to help foster kittens from the shelter.

Thank you for reading. It will be a bittersweet goodbye.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (07-22-2020),bcr229 (07-22-2020),Craiga 01453 (07-22-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Awww, that's fantastic she's going to a loving forever home. Great job with her!!! Thanks for keeping us updated.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I'm so happy you were able to find her a good home, thank you for getting her all fixed up.
    For the Horde!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12