Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,775

2 members and 2,773 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Feral baby kitten caught/need help/progression thread

I read through the FAQs but could not find the answer to whether or not it is allowed to post GoFundMe link? Please redact this link if it is not allowed:

Story: Baby tortie kitten about 2-3 weeks old had been begging and crying for food in my neighborhood. I had been feeding it, earning it's trust to move closer and closer to her. Mom had not been seen by myself or the neighbors. It is very unusual for kittens born in the wild leaving it's nest to look and beg for food (Natural instinct is to stay quiet and hide). Anyways, my plan was to trap both mom and baby to get mom spayed. Mom was again a no-show. It started pouring and kitten is eating in front of me, out from under my car. It was now or never, and with no gloves on, I grabbed her asap.

She will be seeing a vet later today. I discovered a wound on her lower lip this afternoon during a bath. Her lower lip is detached, leaving her gums and chin exposed. Other signs are her eyes are cloudy, a squinty eye, and maybe some worms. Some food, TLC, vet care and time, is all she need.

Funds are a little tight at home because of a medical procedure I had to go through recently and I did not count in fostering this soon again. Rescues are inundated with kittens, and this baby will get a kitty cold at the local shelter. While I am looking for discounted vet services and spay surgery, any donations will help cover whatever expense there is. I am also looking for potential adopters for her, so if you are interested, we can discuss that later when she is about 8 weeks old, healthy, vaccinated, spayed, and microchipped

If you cannot donate, please share.

I will post her pic in a separate post on Tapatalk.
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-15-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Removed GFM Link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (06-15-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I just wanted to stop in and say good on you for helping that poor animal. We took in a stray about a year ago , luckily she was in great health for being a stray for over two years. But she's become a beloved member of the family.

I unfortunately can't help financially, money is tight here too. But I wish you and the kitty all the luck in the world. Please keep us posted.

And thank you again for stepping up for the kitty.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Cheesenugget (06-15-2020),MissterDog (06-15-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Feral baby kitten caught/need help/progression thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I read through the FAQs but could not find the answer to whether or not it is allowed to post GoFundMe link? Please redact this link if it is not allowed:

Story: Baby tortie kitten about 2-3 weeks old had been begging and crying for food in my neighborhood. I had been feeding it, earning it's trust to move closer and closer to her. Mom had not been seen by myself or the neighbors. It is very unusual for kittens born in the wild leaving it's nest to look and beg for food (Natural instinct is to stay quiet and hide). Anyways, my plan was to trap both mom and baby to get mom spayed. Mom was again a no-show. It started pouring and kitten is eating in front of me, out from under my car. It was now or never, and with no gloves on, I grabbed her asap.

She will be seeing a vet later today. I discovered a wound on her lower lip this afternoon during a bath. Her lower lip is detached, leaving her gums and chin exposed. Other signs are her eyes are cloudy, a squinty eye, and maybe some worms. Some food, TLC, vet care and time, is all she need.

Funds are a little tight at home because of a medical procedure I had to go through recently and I did not count in fostering this soon again. Rescues are inundated with kittens, and this baby will get a kitty cold at the local shelter. While I am looking for discounted vet services and spay surgery, any donations will help cover whatever expense there is. I am also looking for potential adopters for her, so if you are interested, we can discuss that later when she is about 8 weeks old, healthy, vaccinated, spayed, and microchipped

If you cannot donate, please share.

I will post her pic in a separate post on Tapatalk.
    She does not have a name yet.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-15-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Removed GFM Link

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-15-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    She's a little cutie!!!

I hope everything works out well for you both!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Feral baby kitten caught/need help/progression thread

I had a wild kitten as a young boy .. it was a Male and the gentlest cat I’ve ever had ... the odd thing is that it lost its tail as a kitten when an old sheepdog got a good grip of it and the vet couldn’t save tail

Now it never climbed trees or walked along fences - presumably as it had impaired balance ( no tail) .

At the age of one it had a stroke our dog found it lying motionless behind the sofa abs barked like crazy !!!
    It was at the weekend and I remember it cost a fortune at the vets and we had to drive miles to him ...

Anyways it somehow lived to the ripe old age of 19 !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 06-15-2020 at 06:07 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Day 2 -

She had her first vet visit today. The vet said that the injury to her lower lip is due to some trauma a few days ago. That could also explain the squinting of the other eye. Maybe a car almost stepped on her? Raccoon tried to grab her? Who knows. Either way, vet is hopeful that it will heal without intervention. Surgery would be the needed if it won't heal.

She is on deworming meds and antibiotics. Otherwise, she is fine.

While she still hisses and spits, she is slowly allowing me to pet her. I am also able to hold her. And even better news - she started to purr! What an improvement! I can't wait to see where we are in a week. Of course, I'm taking it slow. I had fosters who would try to kill me for weeks, others immediately take to being touched by a person. This one, I can tell, is a special girl.

I'll provide another update in a week or so.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-17-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-16-2020),Zincubus (06-17-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I wanted to wait a week before posting another update but this is huge... She started to learn how to use the litterbox! Normally, babies would learn from mom or their siblings. Having neither one to guide her, after some attempts to teach her, she got the idea. She is such a smart girl. Using the litterbox is a milestone for her in becoming a house pet.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-17-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-17-2020),Zincubus (06-17-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Yay!!! Good job little kitty!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It's been almost 2 weeks since she was caught. If the vet is correct, she is 6 weeks old.

She is getting bigger. Her personality is starting to show: a finicky eater, tough little girl who loves to play and to be around you after you earn her trust.

She is still shy, as you can see in the picture. I was cleaning her play pen and she prefers to hide under my leg. I have started introducing new people to meet her. So far, so good.

Saturday is a follow-up deworming. I'm taking her to my usual vet for a 2nd opinion on her lip as well as getting a SNAP test done. Depending on the results of this test, it will drastically change how she will be adopted out.

For anyone interested, she will be ready after she reaches 8 weeks, spayed and started on her first vaccine (3-1 combo). Due to the pandemic, there may be a delay depending on the clinics schedule.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-26-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-26-2020),GoingPostal (06-27-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Pic

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-26-2020),christineho (06-26-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-26-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast