Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 638

1 members and 637 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Emerald vs Amazon Tree Boa vs GTP

Hello!

I am beginning to do research into my next snake, and I am currently debating between an Emerald Tree Boa, an Amazon Tree Boa, and a Green Tree Python. I have almost 6 years of reptile experience and have worked with all of the species mentioned before, and I feel confident in my ability to provide the proper care for any of them - especially after I get deeper into my research. I will not be picking this guy/gal up until October at the earliest. I am planning on housing this snake in a double skyscraper vivarium that I am going to be building soon with plenty of perches, sturdy live plants, as well as a misting system and ventilation fans.

I am hoping to get input about the general temperament, size, housing requirements, and price range for these species. If any of you have experience/tips with any of these species, or have worked with multiple of them and have a preference, please let me know! I'm open to any opinions you have .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    ETB's are pretty amazing. You mostly find WC for sale, so both of mine are WC, and they're the nicest snakes I own. Being WC, they're cheaper than GTP. They also get bigger. They're tough to feed sometimes, because they really don't want to strike. If my female misses on the first strike, she'll refuse to eat. But I wouldn't be surprised if GTPs have similar issues in that department anyway.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Re: Emerald vs Amazon Tree Boa vs GTP

As a whole GTPs are easier to keep as ETBs. As far as wild caught, Stay away. There are quite a few very reputable breeders for both ETBs and GTPs that have captive bred and born. With that said, most likely you will have to get on a waiting list, but it is worth it. CBBs of either species are better eaters and have far less problems than WC. WC, especially in ETBs are prone to regurgitation syndrome. With both, your husbandry with need to be finely tuned before any snake arrives, especially the humidity. GTPs will do fine as adults in a 24x24x24. Adult ETB will do fine in 36x24x24. At least that’s what mine are in. As far as temperament, as a whole neither are a “holding” snake. They are more of a display animal. With that said, some people handle them just fine. I choose not too. CBB of either GTPs or ETBs will be expensive and if you are looking at something real special, Amazon ETBs will cost you thousands. A clean northern CBB emerald will start at several hundreds of dollar and a clean GTPs will be the same
    Last edited by Bodie; 06-14-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-15-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-15-2020),Toad37 (06-14-2020)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Lots of good stuff already covered. OP you mention you've worked with all 3 before so you must have a good sense of the size difference and such already.

I have a large collection of ATBs, have had GTP in the past and my bf/dad have some ETBs.

Temperament is varied per individual but in general, ATBs are going to be the most bitey of the three. Bite first ask questions later (they also musk). They are also the most active of the three species IMO. Adult ATBs can be kept in 18" and 20" cubes as adults (or bigger of course!). I had my GTP in 24" cube, ETBS will need more space as they are quite a bit larger. Of the 3, ATBs are the cheapest, nice CBB for anywhere from $100-500 depending on color and morphs average about $1k. GTPs and ETBs nice CBB with lineage will easily go over $1k. I would avoid WC/LTC if possible.
    For the Horde!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-15-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-15-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I personally have to agree that captive bred is by far the way to go.
    I've been considering an ETB or GTP for a while, but I'm waiting a few years until CBBs are more readily available and more my price range.

I can't comment otherwise, since I don't keep any yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    True, CBB are recommended over WC. I only wanted to express that even WC ETB are very nice and docile. Great pets and display animals!
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-15-2020)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I agree with that, I have some LTC and WC ATBs that I bought second hand and there is no temperament difference between any of them vs the CBB. I mainly say it to help support CBB (as there are plenty, no need to bring in more WC) and that you also (usually) don't have to deal with internal parasites.
    For the Horde!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I have both a ETB and a GTP. I bought these already well started and do not know much of anything as to their history. I have also had a young WC GTP that was a Biak. It gave me nothing but trouble and I found it dead one day. It was nasty and would always bite.

The two I have now though are wonderful. I can take either out during the day without any fuss. The ETB has never even hissed at me. I can take her out at night too but the GTP bites at anything that moves. During the day he is easy going though. I can take either out and hold them as long as I please. The GTP has tagged me but that was a long time ago and more of an investigation on his part. I think the hair on my arm tickled him and he was not sure what it was so he gave a little bite now and again. You could see him thinking about it before he did it and then the bite was just a nip really.

I find the care to be about the same for both and like others have the GTP in a 24 cube and the ETB is a 36x24x24. I love them and they are probably my favorite to own. I would love to have a Amazon Basin ETB on day but I doubt I ever will with the price tag on them now.

It seems to me I was lucky getting the two I did and will not say my results are typical from what I have read from others. I consider myself blessed to have the two I do.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    As for feeding both of mine are awesome eaters. I don't offer during a shed but I don't remember them ever missing a meal outside of those. They both will usually come to the glass at night when I walk in the room. The GTP will come out the cage looking for food if you are not ready for him.

Also that is my ETB in my profile pic.
    Last edited by KMG; 06-15-2020 at 08:32 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    The local guy I get my tarantulas from (and as of today, some reptiles) has an Amazon Tree Boa he got from a show he just went to. She is gorgeous! She is kind of orangey yellow right now and absolutely beautiful. I picked up a Colombian Rainbow from him today along with a tegu, and may end up picking up his Amazon as well lol